Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

No conflict.
I said a few weeks ago that this would happen.
Silvagni was too stubborn and not a team player and Liddle did some things he should not have done in Silvagni's area without including him.
I put this more on Liddle because he should be able to manage this situation better than he has. He is the CEO and in charge.
Is he going to do this elsewhere in the Club as well ?
And just when we were getting stability and moving forward positively......
👍

An offer to remain at the club....yeah right.
So that's the spin we're employing? It must be SOS's fault for not accepting then. That's it!

No conflict.
Silvagni was too stubborn and not a team player and Liddle did some things he should not have done in Silvagni's area without including him.
I put this more on Liddle because he should be able to manage this situation better than he has. He is the CEO and in charge.

Liddle knows what he's doing and why. It's just that we're not quite sure yet.

Those 2 sentences say SOS got the Board's support, but that the Board supported Liddle sacking him.
Is that not contradictory?
I don’t think that Liddle has the power to sack SOS does he? Wasn‘t SOS appointed by the board?

No conflict.

Of course there's conflict in those statements.

"SOS has influence and the support of the board"
"Liddle has influence and has pushed SOS out"

It also, from the tidbits we've heard, doesn't seem like it's a case of Liddle pushing SOS out, but one of Teague and Liddle being given more clout in targeted player acquisitions resulting in SOS feeling his authority is being undermined.

I can see both sides of it.

You definitely want your list strategy guy making the decisions to ensure consistency.

But if your list strategy guy is overlooking Eddie Betts, who is willing to come across, take a pay cut, play for a few years in a position of need, take on additional responsibilities in indigenous mentoring, assist with coaching the forward line, bring Jack Martin with him, as well as a stack of memberships...well, there's two key departments in the club who you can understand want to make it happen, namely the coach who wants a dangerous forward line, and the CEO who wants to grow the membership base.

SOS has done wonders, but that doesn't mean he doesn't miss the mark on occasion. If he had to be "overruled" on Betts, I think that's a miss for him and an opportunity well spotted by Teague and Liddle.

And as I've said a few times now, it's not necessarily a case of unprofessionalism pushing a club servant out. It's a bloke who apparently intended to leave next year, choosing to leave a year earlier because the club has decided to give others a little more say in things. There's a limit to how much of that you want happening (and it's a low threshold), but I think the list rejuvenation has reached a point where there's more scope for it than when we were in a transformative mindset.

Thanks SOS, good luck Teague, Liddle and Agresta.

Of course there's conflict in those statements.

"SOS has influence and the support of the board"
"Liddle has influence and has pushed SOS out"

It also, from the tidbits we've heard, doesn't seem like it's a case of Liddle pushing SOS out, but one of Teague and Liddle being given more clout in targeted player acquisitions resulting in SOS feeling his authority is being undermined.

I can see both sides of it.

You definitely want your list strategy guy making the decisions to ensure consistency.

But if your list strategy guy is overlooking Eddie Betts, who is willing to come across, take a pay cut, play for a few years in a position of need, take on additional responsibilities in indigenous mentoring, assist with coaching the forward line, bring Jack Martin with him, as well as a stack of memberships...well, there's two key departments in the club who you can understand want to make it happen, namely the coach who wants a dangerous forward line, and the CEO who wants to grow the membership base.

SOS has done wonders, but that doesn't mean he doesn't miss the mark on occasion. If he had to be "overruled" on Betts, I think that's a miss for him and an opportunity well spotted by Teague and Liddle.

And as I've said a few times now, it's not necessarily a case of unprofessionalism pushing a club servant out. It's a bloke who apparently intended to leave next year, choosing to leave a year earlier because the club has decided to give others a little more say in things. There's a limit to how much of that you want happening (and it's a low threshold), but I think the list rejuvenation has reached a point where there's more scope for it than when we were in a transformative mindset.

Thanks SOS, good luck Teague, Liddle and Agresta.
Well let’s hope SOS doesn’t go to another club and start poaching some of the players he recruited for us 😳😳

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well let’s hope SOS doesn’t go to another club and start poaching some of the players he recruited for us 😳😳

Yeah, would suck, just gotta hope the players are more committed to each other than to the bloke who drafted/traded them.

The biggest threat he'd pose would be IP around our payment structures and contracts. He'd know who has been taking unders and is due for an increase, or who has been given overs and will likely see a reduction, which would help identify which players are most "gettable".

Fortunately he's someone who appeared a bit "removed" from the players once they were on the list (ie. he's not a Teague-type assistant who players want to play for), and he's also done his job so well we have talent flowing out of every hole and realistically should expect to lose some through natural attrition anyway.

Still, I'd feel a lot better if he took his hard-earned, and sat back in the stands to watch his boys win a few flags.

still looking

Thanks Barass, not ideal but not the worst situation to be in either as it's relatively early days. Certainly not as good as having a situation where we have at least 12 months notice to find a replacement though.

I would think the main thing we have recruitment wise is to have someone to be in communication with potential senior player recruits such as Papley. I'd back Agresta in to do that job.

Certainly nervous times as it's probably the most important position at the club.

Hopefully we can find someone really good.

Can't say I'm happy with Liddle. Seems he's been unprofessional with his actions and rushed blindly into this which I really don't like. Would question his understanding of everything here. It's a big big call from him and something he will be judged heavily on I feel.

Thanks Barass, not ideal but not the worst situation to be in either as it's relatively early days. Certainly not as good as having a situation where we have at least 12 months notice to find a replacement though.

I would think the main thing we have recruitment wise is to have someone to be in communication with potential senior player recruits such as Papley. I'd back Agresta in to do that job.

Certainly nervous times as it's probably the most important position at the club.

Hopefully we can find someone really good.

Can't say I'm happy with Liddle. Seems he's been unprofessional with his actions and rushed blindly into this which I really don't like. Would question his understanding of everything here. It's a big big call from him and something he will be judged heavily on I feel.
Relax these sorts of “differences of opinion” and “power plays” occur all the time at every club. SOS will probably work behind the scenes until a quality replacement is found. Let’s chill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back