Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papley >>> Wines for us.

The way I see it is that a few of our developing mids went sideways backwards in 2019 eg Fisher, Dow
There is also some pressure on re question marks about availability - generally..eg Willamson,Marchbank,Cuningham, Charlie and Harry? Probably Kreuzer ...

Sure we all expect a perfect scenario with everyone available and fit - but it wont happen all the time ..

Under this scenario a developed B+ to A+ mid would be welcome at this stage - it is no accident we went hard for Shiel and then Coniglio - if COniglio was an A+ player - shiel and Wines would be at worst a B+ addition - thats is a grade higher than anyone else we have apart from Crippa. I dont count Murph as a fulltime onballer anymore - hopefully he becomes break glass when required and plays more on wing HFF than onball.

Setterfield Walsh Ed Cripps - seem to be everybody's starting on ball options at Carlton - we are counting on Dow and Stocker to step up to genuine starting status as a rotation at least - neither of whom has shown an ability to run each way at AFL level for 4 quarters. I'm saying that genuine on ball inside winning contests and clearing type mid - we aren't overly stacked with....

yes we are all hoping that one of Dow or Stocker steps up and adds to on ball capability, and that other rotations can match it with other sides when it really matters ....but maybe not finals endurance and capacity just yet...if all goes well...

Wines would be a great get and a very good insurance policy I reckon - oh and the bloke is a gun when he feels like it. I reckon he could do with a much better fitness regime or a different one. I reckon he still has massive upside as a player. He is worth Charlie type money atm - thats for sure.

Then again papley would be a great fit into a set of skills and positional play that we do lack experience and even average levels of demonstrated competency - apart from Eddie Betts we have no small forward with anywhere near finales form. Pretty much the only proven week in week out performers in the small to mid forward role we have right now is Betts - sure all great expectations about Cuningham/Fisher/Martin - but all these blokes are genuine mids by nature not small forwards - Cuningham has shown glimpses of good form - when he is on the park....

Strong arguments for both views I reckon - maybe it gets down to availability of one or the other - and how well our blokes develop over the year...

Laurence Angwin and Karl Norman were pretty high at the club too
They needed high performance management ... wasn’t even a thing back then

The population might have changed but they're still queenslanders and queenslanders don't like sport, nor do they attend events.

I've been here for 10 years and it shocks me how different they are to basically the rest of the country.

There is little to nothing to be gained by wasting more time and effort here with a sports team, particularly for a non dominant code.
I'm not sure which part of the Gold Coast you are referring to, but I could readily introduce you to dozens of non-Qlders on the Gold Coast who I have had dealings with over the journey. We lost a good friend on the Gold Coast last week who was born in Tasmania, grew up in Adelaide & supported the Dawks. His wife & daughter are Crows supporters (I was "blessed" with a text message from them shortly after the Crows belted us in the AFLW GF).

Prior to him suffering a stroke, Roger Merritt ran the Post Office around the corner from our then Gold Coast home. It always took a bit longer to get anything done at the Post Office with expats forming a line to have a chat to Roger about footy while transacting their business.

Bruce Mathieson is now a Gold Coast resident, as was Rod Galt prior to his death. True Qlders living on the Gold Coast can be hard to find. So many expats from NSW, Vic, Tassie & SA, not to mention the Kiwis. Of course it is predominantly these people that prop up the support bases for both NRL & AFL clubs, but so many of these people are young people who are starting their families on the Gold Coast. Their children are true Gold Coasters. A youngish couple we know had their first child a few months ago & that child already has an Eagles guernsey. Interestingly, one of the daughters of Andrew Winter, host of Selling Houses Australia & Love It or List It Australia, plays girls' footy with Southport. Although Winter hasn't really embraced our great game, apparently his wife is heavily involved with the daughter's team.

It's not really a dismissal in the common sense of the word though, is it.

SOS was brought on to do a job (ie. strip the list back to it's bare bones and rebuild on the fly via the draft). If those running the club believe that job is done, then there isn't a specific need for that position to be filled. Instead, we just need what most clubs have, a List Manager to balance contracts and coordinate the efforts of the recruiters based on the perceived needs of the list.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that, if SOS's contract had indeed expired, that the club wouldn't be putting a new one in front of him for the same role, especially if others in the List Management team felt that having that (now redundant) role filled, by SOS, was going to limit their ability to do their own jobs. Particularly given SOS's salary would fall under the soft cap, and could potentially be better spent on coaching or medical staff now that the heavy lifting of the rebuild is done. That's very different to being sacked because you annoyed someone, or because you'd done a poor job.

It also makes perfect sense that SOS would feel aggrieved at a situation like that. Having his portfolio taken out of his hands and being told that he's welcome to stick around and do something different instead.

Not going to pretend to know exactly what's gone on, and find it strange that some here seem to think they have all the information they need to cast judgement.

In my book, SOS has done a great job, but his influence may have become a bit too overbearing. Liddle has done well on the commercial side of things, don't like him being involved in LM but would certainly respect him if it turned out his actions were taken on behalf of other staff at the club who felt their own input was being limited/disregarded.

Shitty optics, but I'm prepared to give the club 12 months to see what happens off the back of this change, rather than railing at the specific circumstances now.

A fine post sir!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Wines.

It certainly looks as though Port are preparing to part ways with him at the end of 2020, despite being contracted through to the end of 2022. If they're not it's a massive move to strip a 25 year old of the captaincy.

Big fall from grace for Wines who burst onto the scene as a kid but who I feel has stagnated somewhat, he has never really taken that next step that many thought would be a formality.

He's a good inside mid, but he's not a great inside mid, and whilst we'd never lose a clearance with he and Cripps both in the midfield, I'm not sure a slow inside mid is or should be atop our list of priorities at the moment.

I've always been a fan so I won't be complaining if we bring him in, but for the cost I'm not completely sold on it being worth it.

Perfect fit for Essendon though. They should give up 2 first round picks again.

How about both.
No thanks. If Papley still wants us and Swans happy to deal for our first, I wouldn't argue for post Eddie.

Other than potential top end Free Agents, who can run and kick, I want draft only from here on in (unless a disgruntled young gun comes available - at a bargain price)

We can't fit 'em all in now.

• It'll be interesting to see what happens with Wines.

It certainly looks as though Port are preparing to part ways with him at the end of 2020, despite being contracted through to the end of 2022. If they're not it's a massive move to strip a 25 year old of the captaincy.

Big fall from grace for Wines who burst onto the scene as a kid but who I feel has stagnated somewhat, he has never really taken that next step that many thought would be a formality.

He's a good inside mid, but he's not a great inside mid, and whilst we'd never lose a clearance with he and Cripps both in the midfield, I'm not sure a slow inside mid is or should be atop our list of priorities at the moment.

I've always been a fan so I won't be complaining if we bring him in, but for the cost I'm not completely sold on it being worth it.

Perfect fit for Essendon though. They should give up 2 first round picks again.
    Said on the Drafts and Trading board that Wines would be a super fit for North Melbourne, and they do have the draft assets/collateral to get a deal done with Port (IE Melbourne's first pick next season)
I like Wines as a player, but as you say, he would cost too much.

No thanks. If Papley still wants us and Swans happy to deal for our first, I wouldn't argue for post Eddie.

Other than potential top end Free Agents, who can run and kick, I want draft only from here on in (unless a disgruntled young gun comes available - at a bargain price)

We can't fit 'em all in now.
Fair enough view now SOS corrected most of the mess of the past regime.
This is our list in order of oldest to youngest:
Could probably do with a free agent around 27 or 28 years of age next off season but overall from age 30 to 18 year olds the age profiles is way better spread out for long term than it has been in all the time I can remember following us.

Kade Simpson35.59
Eddie Betts33.03
Marc Murphy32.39
Matthew Kreuzer30.57
Ed Curnow30.08
Levi Casboult29.73
Liam Jones28.78
Nic Newman26.89
Jack Newnes26.78
Sam Docherty26.14
Lachle Plowman25.24
Mitch McGovern25.16
Jack Martin24.85
Patrick Cripps24.72
Michael Gibbons24.56
Darcy Lang24.04
Marc Pittonet23.51
Caleb Marchbank23.40
Hugh Goddard23.29
Charlie Curnow22.84
Matthew Owies22.72
David Cuningham22.69
Matt Kennedy22.67
Jacob Weitering22.04
Jack Silvagni21.97
Harry McKay21.95
Will Setterfield21.83
Samo Petrevski-Seton21.80
Cam Polson21.74
Harrison Macreadie21.66
Zac Fisher21.48
Tom Williamson20.99
Tom DeKoning20.39
Lochie O'Brien20.22
Paddy Dow20.14
Liam Stocker19.87
Matthew Cottrell19.77
Ben Silvagni19.58
Sam Walsh19.43
Finbar O'Dwyer19.37
Sam Ramsay18.71
Brodie Kemp18.60
Fraser Phillips18.56
Sam Philp18.34
Josh Honey,18.14

Last edited:
I'm not sure which part of the Gold Coast you are referring to, but I could readily introduce you to dozens of non-Qlders on the Gold Coast who I have had dealings with over the journey. We lost a good friend on the Gold Coast last week who was born in Tasmania, grew up in Adelaide & supported the Dawks. His wife & daughter are Crows supporters (I was "blessed" with a text message from them shortly after the Crows belted us in the AFLW GF).

Prior to him suffering a stroke, Roger Merritt ran the Post Office around the corner from our then Gold Coast home. It always took a bit longer to get anything done at the Post Office with expats forming a line to have a chat to Roger about footy while transacting their business.

Bruce Mathieson is now a Gold Coast resident, as was Rod Galt prior to his death. True Qlders living on the Gold Coast can be hard to find. So many expats from NSW, Vic, Tassie & SA, not to mention the Kiwis. Of course it is predominantly these people that prop up the support bases for both NRL & AFL clubs, but so many of these people are young people who are starting their families on the Gold Coast. Their children are true Gold Coasters. A youngish couple we know had their first child a few months ago & that child already has an Eagles guernsey. Interestingly, one of the daughters of Andrew Winter, host of Selling Houses Australia & Love It or List It Australia, plays girls' footy with Southport. Although Winter hasn't really embraced our great game, apparently his wife is heavily involved with the daughter's team.
Further to the above, the following article coincidentally turned up in today's Gold Coast Bulletin:

It comes as statistics show a 25.9 per cent growth in club teams, 47.7 per cent increase in club players, 177.5 per cent growth in school competitions and an 86.5 per cent rise in total participants on the Gold Coast.

Clubs over capacity include Coomera, Pacific Pines, Broadbeach, Surfers Paradise, Burleigh and Palm Beach Currumbin while Broadbeach, Burleigh and Palm Beach Currumbin are at or over 200 per cent capacity.

Our club looks like a basket case. Again.

Whatever way you cut it, Liddle is responsible for a significant proportion of us looking like a basket case. If he were doing his job properly, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

That’s why he has to go. The chances of him making us great again are negligible.

1 like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our club looks like a basket case. Again.

Whatever way you cut it, Liddle is responsible for a significant proportion of us looking like a basket case. If he were doing his job properly, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

That’s why he has to go. The chances of him making us great again are negligible.

I’m not surprised that we’re in the mess we’re in, astounded he was given such a senior position, it takes a very special individual to mange and direct an organization.
Liddle is a visionary in membership and marketing CFC tallies reflect a very good solid growth, so really appreciate his ability, results were excellent at RFC too.
I’m also prepared to give a person the opportunity to transform and reinvent himself, however Liddle has come at a cost , let’s hope due diligence and damage control is in place.

Last edited:
It is not great look to hide behind a heavily orchestrated online forum on Monday night too.
Not impressed he not stepped out in person this week to deal with heat head on.
He seemed to be so promising as a CEO at start but it ls like it has all gone to his head too quickly and got beyond area he was good at.
It honestly looks like we ****ed this appointment now as him as CEO.
I struggle to see how he rights this ship now but for clubs sake I hope he surprises and can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back