Game Day Game Day 2020 AFLW Rnd 5 - GWS v Richmond , Sat 7 Mar, Robertson Oval Wagga Wagga, 5.10pm Melb time

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Tigers AFLW is a difficult experience. Many players spectating, failing to attack the ball, strolling along waiting to see what happens as the opposition teams take uncontested possessions. Time after time:(
I stand by my earlier remark that’s theres only 4 or so players worth retaining , the rest are that far off the mark talent wise , we had 1 mark i50 v 17 . We are dead slow to react , how many easy marks the oppo take coz we re like the queen mary turning around . So many players with only 4-6 possies. Sadly I can’t see us getting close to winning with most opponents kicking a record score ea week against us

If the AFLW are fair dinkum we will get a special assistance package that involves uncontracted players and several draft picks in the top 5

I stand by my earlier remark that’s theres only 4 or so players worth retaining , the rest are that far off the mark talent wise , we had 1 mark i50 v 17 . We are dead slow to react , how many easy marks the oppo take coz we re like the queen mary turning around . So many players with only 4-6 possies. Sadly I can’t see us getting close to winning with most opponents kicking a record score ea week against us

If the AFLW are fair dinkum we will get a special assistance package that involves uncontracted players and several draft picks in the top 5

can't disagree with all your post Bojangles17
agree we definitely need a heap of top 5 picks (pick 1 and 2 at least) and access to a lot of uncontracted players
3/4 of the team are floundering in mediocrity and it's obvious by now that we lack leg speed

The coaches aren't up to it, Our senior coach is 29 years old, he's going up against seasoned afl players with 25 more years experience. I'd speculate that if we get fair dinkum about the coaching we'd see a massive improvement.
Before we get a chance to use some early picks , we need to overhaul the recruiting setup as they cocked up BIG time and I have little confidence they would select wisely

I wont name names but I will give numbers
outstanding: 2, 4, 8
average: 3, 6, 10, 43
poor: 1, 11, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 24, 28, 34
not up to it: 5, 7, 9, 12, 13, 15,
untried/not enough games: 19, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27
damning really, only 7 players performing

7 is prob being kind too , you’d love Bernadi to get more involved , she has reasonably good skills yet struggles to get more than 5-7p a week , like so many others . Reviewing the saints stats there’s look much better than ours where we generally only have 2-3 players with double figures . I’m concerned with our r1 draft pick , she hasn’t done much to suggest a bright future to me , she might surprise with a pre season under the Belt , would want to. Wouldn’t put my life on it as others like Jacques and stahl I was hoping would improve haven’t

The coaches aren't up to it, Our senior coach is 29 years old, he's going up against seasoned afl players with 25 more years experience. I'd speculate that if we get fair dinkum about the coaching we'd see a massive improvement.

Possibly , he really had the team playing well at vflw However this is a whole new level

can't disagree with all your post Bojangles17
agree we definitely need a heap of top 5 picks (pick 1 and 2 at least) and access to a lot of uncontracted players
3/4 of the team are floundering in mediocrity and it's obvious by now that we lack leg speed

Lack of leg speed stood out round one. Again, it looks like we didn’t target the right talent from the start. Can’t move the ball by hand and well... moving it by foot... as Warnie might say, can’t kick can’t mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lack of leg speed stood out round one. Again, it looks like we didn’t target the right talent from the start. Can’t move the ball by hand and well... moving it by foot... as Warnie might say, can’t kick can’t mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the players that really have disappointed me have been No 5, 9, really look like fish out of water
both seem to have leg speed but can't get the ball, just running like headless chooks
next draft we have to draft players with skills and speed, no two ways about it

Last edited:

Something is amiss. I have no problem with the team losing, heaven knows we as Richmond supporters can adapt to that, we have experience. It's been tough on the list with a few injuries. But, even with the depth issues, I'm not seeing much individual or group improvement. I think if there were a stat on chains (repeat possessions), Richmond would have had overwhelmingly the least, and that is what worries, given that there is some talent in that side. Our possessions break down too easily, which frankly has to be as much about planning as application.

To close watchers of last season in VFLW, could someone tell me how many on our current list played together last year? I'm intrigued, because we seem to be least unified team from a skill perspective. It's like they have only recently met, which I'm sure is the case for a few of them, but how many?

Something is amiss. I have no problem with the team losing, heaven knows we as Richmond supporters can adapt to that, we have experience. It's been tough on the list with a few injuries. But, even with the depth issues, I'm not seeing much individual or group improvement. I think if there were a stat on chains (repeat possessions), Richmond would have had overwhelmingly the least, and that is what worries, given that there is some talent in that side. Our possessions break down too easily, which frankly has to be as much about planning as application.

To close watchers of last season in VFLW, could someone tell me how many on our current list played together last year? I'm intrigued, because we seem to be least unified team from a skill perspective. It's like they have only recently met, which I'm sure is the case for a few of them, but how many?
your comments come with some strong merit Phar Ace

the players that played together in last years (2019) VFLW is:
Akec Makur Chuot, Phoebe Monahan, Grace Campbell, Tayla Stahl, Laura Bailey, Maddy Brancatisano, Kate Dempsey, Courtney Wakefield, Sabrina Frederick, Hannah Burchell, Gabby Seymour, Monique Conti, Katie Brennan, Alice Edmonds, Rebecca Miller, Alana Woodward,
Lauren Tesoriero, Emma Horne, Kodi Jacques.

the players that DIDN'T played together in last years (2019) VFLW is:
Laura McClelland, Iilish Ross, Emily Harley, Sophie Molan, Ella Wood, Christina Bernardi, Sarah Sansonetti, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Ciara Fitzgerald,
Holly Whitford, Nekaela Butler

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit give the bloke a chance
His chance is this season and so far he's failing dismally, we had 18 scoring shots against us yesterday which is unheard of at this level. All of the expansion clubs have a system that is competitive, we seem to be running around like headless chooks most of the game. The buck stops with the coach.

Bullshit give the bloke a chance
I’m no expert but have seen a load of footy over the years , I just think we have a severe vacuum of talent , norm smith wouldn’t get them going any better. Can’t kick can’t mark can’t run that’s 13-14 of them covered. We need 5-6 pretty decent players to make a step Improvement. I’d forensically go over recruiting before the coaching

I’m no expert but have seen a load of footy over the years , I just think we have a severe vacuum of talent , norm smith wouldn’t get them going any better. Can’t kick can’t mark can’t run that’s 13-14 of them covered. We need 5-6 pretty decent players to make a step Improvement. I’d forensically go over recruiting before the coaching
My thoughts exactly.

View attachment 835408

these type of stats from our players are a frequent occurrence
Tom Hunter (coach) said at the presser that we need to clone Conti, good one captain obvious
They’re deplorable sadly , and when so many players simply can’t find the footy it says loud and clear they ain’t up to it , it shits me we re so much worse than saints and Gc

His chance is this season and so far he's failing dismally, we had 18 scoring shots against us yesterday which is unheard of at this level. All of the expansion clubs have a system that is competitive, we seem to be running around like headless chooks most of the game. The buck stops with the coach.
Have u actually watched much or just looked at the scores , you’re way off the mark where root problems are

Was down the pub with a mate to watch the game ended up watching the blues and Saints as well.
Two things
We have too many lightly built players that can’t get space
We run in straight lines with the ball going forward trying to use speed, theres no switching or trying to make the ground bigger to spread the def. Maybe a kick into the corridor but we try and go through the def and we only have one who can bounce the ball on the run so it just ends up looking like bush footy. Kick to the tallest player and hope for a mark.
We don’t look like we know how to footy and that is the coaching and recruiting.
Last year Grace Egan played from the bench in our vflw now she’s playing great for Carlton.
Thats a worry.

They are bad , no doubt, but when you’re a poor side and consistently get hammered by the umps like our girls do , then any confidence they have is gone, they showed last week that they can play if allowed,

the AFL is a disgrace from an umpiring perspective, THE WORST umpired game in the world at Elite level,

put yourself in their boots, you get nothing they get everything, you say * this why bother, and I thought I saw a bit of that yesterday

the coaching is poor, no doubt there a no systems or structures, age of the coach is not an issue, it’s the message.

Conti, Wakefield, Monahan, Makur Chuot, Campbell, Stahl, Brennan and Dempsey (because she was just drafted last year and has not stunk it up yet) are players I’d keep. I’d maybe keep Bernardi too.

Anyone else (especially talls and defenders) are up for delisting IMO.

It would be nice if we get some assistance, but I don’t think we earned it. We’re the ones who put together our list, so if it does not work out, then it is our fault. No one else is responsible for our performance other than umpires because they have been horrible.

Have u actually watched much or just looked at the scores , you’re way off the mark where root problems are
I've watched every single game and been to both home matches with my family. I get that other clubs are more advanced in their programs but look at the Gold Coast, St kilda etc, they get beaten but they're not getting embarrassed either. They have a system in place. 21 scoring shots to 6 yesterday, it was a mauling.

Was down the pub with a mate to watch the game ended up watching the blues and Saints as well.
Two things
We have too many lightly built players that can’t get space
We run in straight lines with the ball going forward trying to use speed, theres no switching or trying to make the ground bigger to spread the def. Maybe a kick into the corridor but we try and go through the def and we only have one who can bounce the ball on the run so it just ends up looking like bush footy. Kick to the tallest player and hope for a mark.
We don’t look like we know how to footy and that is the coaching and recruiting.
Last year Grace Egan played from the bench in our vflw now she’s playing great for Carlton.
Thats a worry.

yeah your spot on Cdog71, bush footy it is
we're into game 5 with 3 games to go, we have 3/4's of the team averaging 4-6 possies per game, marks and tackles no better
with Grace Egan I believe in hindsight that we let her slip, should've snapped her up before 4 or 5 players that we prelisted
she's playing really good footy, seen her 3 times now and would be in our top 3-4 players based on form
could be Carltons coaching or she has really stepped up, one or the other
the Blues did bid pick 13, so must of seen something that we didn't
based on what we have put up, we will not get close to the last 3 teams we play
so it's hello pick 1, hopefully pick 2 as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back