AFLW Round 10, Richmond, v Collingwood, Sunday, November 5, 3.05pm AEDT (stupid Daylight Saving Time), Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I think last year we really got the jump on a few teams with Sheerin storming through the corridor.
Oppo are a little more prepared for her and you can see with Dempsey numbers the ball isn’t as direct as last year.
Ferguson tried a few things but I think Darcy being a marking threat and Peck holding her own in the back half was great.
If Poppy can play most of the game Ruck I’d like to see Gabby have a go on the wing next year.

I think Ferg deserves another year but we need another quality young tall.
Would’ve been good to see Woods clunk a mark a little more often
Reckon she’s an improver woods , has got super fit got involved in some good passages of play , harder at it than Reid

Probably because she was an all Australian defender and was playing well again this year in that role. We really need two of her as it did make our defence very slow. Luckily the Pies couldn’t exploit that but better teams certainly would.
Yea yea but it was clear mon needed support we were dwindling in the midfieid with one horse race , hosko down Ellie out we needed a new mix

I think so - she had one other game last year that made us all go - woah what have we got here - only to hear she was then injured and even when she played again it was one mark sticking and the rest bouncing off the palms. I also like how she crashed in to Fredericks a fair bit showing how bruise free Fredericks likes to play - as she did with us!

As good as Gabby is, I don't think we lost much at all having her out with the form that Kelly produced - but it was against Fredericks!
She can play key back

Why the he’ll it took to r10 to consider sheerin in midfield is astonishing
We did throw her in there for part of a game early on and she was repeatedly caught. It also robbed us of drive off half back.

I think Ferg wanted Cox supplying that drive off half back, but it just wasn't working then or now - expect that to be worked on heavily over the off-season.

Ha, we are all gun coaches from our lounge chairs. I remember Hardwick trying Rance in the midfield and that certainly didn’t work.
I also remember Mrs Hardwick having some influence on that one too.

Reckon she’s an improver woods , has got super fit got involved in some good passages of play , harder at it than Reid
Agreed, Jemima Woods had some cameo moments and looked comfortable enough at the level. Has a pretty good pass on her, even when under pressure, which I'm sure was not lost on the coaches. It will be interesting to see how she trains on over the off-season, a bit more pace and she could slot in a lot of positions.

The mix of our team looked so much better at the weekend.

Add Lavey back onto the opposite wing of Dempsey, with Sheerin through the middle and Shevlin freed from the rubbish role she had to play for much of the year as a stopper. Having her break out of defence and to the wing with her long booming kick is a weapon that we didn't utilise much this year.

Defensively being able to add either JHosko or Seymour back as a defender is a good position for us to be in, Peck looked good and should be used a lot more next year.

Being able to add McKenzie and Ryan to the forward mix will also be a big step forward to.

I'm not sure where this leaves someone like Reid. I think she almost has to play as a stay at home forward but with Greiser, Jones and 1 of McCleland / D'Arcy playing those roles I don't see a spot for her in the side. I wonder what we would get for her in a trade.

The mix of our team looked so much better at the weekend.

Add Lavey back onto the opposite wing of Dempsey, with Sheerin through the middle and Shevlin freed from the rubbish role she had to play for much of the year as a stopper. Having her break out of defence and to the wing with her long booming kick is a weapon that we didn't utilise much this year.

Defensively being able to add either JHosko or Seymour back as a defender is a good position for us to be in, Peck looked good and should be used a lot more next year.

Being able to add McKenzie and Ryan to the forward mix will also be a big step forward to.

I'm not sure where this leaves someone like Reid. I think she almost has to play as a stay at home forward but with Greiser, Jones and 1 of McCleland / D'Arcy playing those roles I don't see a spot for her in the side. I wonder what we would get for her in a trade.
On Reid, hope she'll get to play a lot of VFLW again, not as a smart alec comment, but rather to get her more ball in hand and work in the legs before next season. She can deliver a nice pass as we saw her do with Brennan a few times earlier in the season, still so young at only 20.

Be surprised if Ryan comes to hand quickly - missed a lot of footy.

Last edited:
We did throw her in there for part of a game early on and she was repeatedly caught. It also robbed us of drive off half back.

I think Ferg wanted Cox supplying that drive off half back, but it just wasn't working then or now - expect that to be worked on heavily over the off-season.
Cox isn’t up to it , drops marks pushed off the ball , contested ability is 1/10 we def need to improve on her

Agreed, Jemima Woods had some cameo moments and looked comfortable enough at the level. Has a pretty good pass on her, even when under pressure, which I'm sure was not lost on the coaches. It will be interesting to see how she trains on over the off-season, a bit more pace and she could slot in a lot of positions.
Is much fitter than when she first turned up , is a keeper

Is much fitter than when she first turned up , is a keeper
And she is strong in a contest - don't be surprised if they try her in the midfield next season if she is even fitter. All the motivation is there now.

Cox isn’t up to it , drops marks pushed off the ball , contested ability is 1/10 we def need to improve on her
She trains way better than she plays, star on the training track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back