AFLW Round 2, Richmond vs Adelaide. Ikon Park 5:05pm Friday 08/09

Remove this Banner Ad

why do I still have the feeling from Friday night that Greiser is going to turn out just like Frederick did

Difference is that we’ve sacrificed far less for Greiser than we did for Frederick
What did Richmond actually sacrifice for Frederick.

Traded pick 16 in the 2019 draft for her. Then traded her (plus picks 26 and 55) out 2 years later for Shevlin (plus picks 16 and 48). The 2021 pick 16 was used to take Yassir.

In retrospect, if Richmond held onto that 2019 pick and used it to select the best goal-kicker in that Vic draft, it would've been... Courtney Jones!

Traded pick 16 in the 2019 draft for her. Then traded her (plus picks 26 and 55) out 2 years later for Shevlin (plus picks 16 and 48). The 2021 pick 16 was used to take Yassir.

In retrospect, if Richmond held onto that 2019 pick and used it to select the best goal-kicker in that Vic draft, it would've been... Courtney Jones!
Hmm still at this point in time the W draft is way to shallow to draw any conclusions, prob 3 player that look certain stars , the rest speculative

why do I still have the feeling from Friday night that Greiser is going to turn out just like Frederick did
Watching a few other games my concerns run deeper than our choice FF , ess look way more advanced than us , they really move the ball well and have some key forwards that can actually mark the footy in toogood with 8 marks ,,,we d need 6 players to get that
anyways ,,,don’t read too much into a result v Adelaide as they’re 5 x better than most sides (other than rule us out for the flag) , let’s see how we go this week and will want to be better than the prac match Few weeks back

She was one of our marquee signings from memory. Could have used that money to try and tempt someone better

She was one of our marquee signings from memory. Could have used that money to try and tempt someone better
Brennan and Conti have always been the marquees. Since leaving Brisbane, Sabrina was (still is) getting a good chunk outside the cap, but largely via ambassadorial roles facilitated by the AFL, not via the "top 2 players at each club" mechanism.

It's not like the choice was between her, Erin Phillips and Tayla Harris.

Emma King was playing VFLW for Richmond at the time, of course she was approached first, but decided to stay at NM. Players like Paxman were rejecting huge marquee offers to join St Kilda, so there was no chance they were going to be tempted to join Richmond for non-marquee deals.

Brennan and Conti have always been the marquees. Since leaving Brisbane, Sabrina was (still is) getting a good chunk outside the cap, but largely via ambassadorial roles facilitated by the AFL, not via the "top 2 players at each club" mechanism.

It's not like the choice was between her, Erin Phillips and Tayla Harris.

Emma King was playing VFLW for Richmond at the time, of course she was approached first, but decided to stay at NM. Players like Paxman were rejecting huge marquee offers to join St Kilda, so there was no chance they were going to be tempted to join Richmond for non-marquee deals.

all very true

some of our poster's dwell on the negative, dismiss the positive

I'd take the Frederick deal any day of the week as long as we got Monique Conti

Watching a few other games my concerns run deeper than our choice FF , ess look way more advanced than us , they really move the ball well and have some key forwards that can actually mark the footy in toogood with 8 marks ,,,we d need 6 players to get that
anyways ,,,don’t read too much into a result v Adelaide as they’re 5 x better than most sides (other than rule us out for the flag) , let’s see how we go this week and will want to be better than the prac match Few weeks back

early days but Adelaide, Melbourne and North Melbourne look way ahead of the rest of the teams.

if the loss to the Crows is as bad as it gets, I'd take that.

we should thank our lucky stars that we don't have to play Demons and Kangas, they're going to flog a lot of teams.

early days but Adelaide, Melbourne and North Melbourne look way ahead of the rest of the teams.

if the loss to the Crows is as bad as it gets, I'd take that.

we should thank our lucky stars that we don't have to play Demons and Kangas, they're going to flog a lot of teams.
Agreed but having watched praccy too , I think our ball movement is pretty crude relative to some of the emerging sides like ess and cats , hope we can have a nice W and put it behind us ,,, last year we played well in same game so see how we go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all very true

some of our poster's dwell on the negative, dismiss the positive

I'd take the Frederick deal any day of the week as long as we got Monique Conti
I dont know why on earth she gets bought up constantly , I could say a lot but I’ll zip it ,,,,by and large our trading has been very good

After seeing recent Rule changes have zero effect on mens AFL I scoffed at the rule changes this year

AFL acting football operations boss Laura Kane said the changes would allow players to display more “flair” and act on their natural instincts.

“These rule adjustments will give supporters more of what they love – a balance between attack and defence, improved strategic tension, and encourage more instinctive play,” Kane said.

“We have undertaken an extensive consultation process as we worked through these adjustments, including thorough discussions with AFLW senior coaches, the AFLW Competition Committee, and the AFLPA.

“Restricting runners’ access, extending quarter lengths, and introducing an interchange cap is designed to open up the game, wh
ich provides an opportunity for players to compete with more flair and have greater freedom to play on instinct.”

Disclaimer: I've only watched 2 games, 4 teams. Girls are working their backsides off. There's the same level of effort as ever. Kicking length is still a factor in the crowdedness.

Does 'flair' equate to goal scoring? Cos I'm not seeing it. Length of kicking in the AFLW is still about the same. Shorter grounds would be a solution.

Half time U 11s Little league back in the day was on a full length ground. Modified it to Auskick size fields now. Goal posts are the problem.
I remember U11 basketball trying to heave the ball in the net. now there are lower rings for around the house.

Maybe have a 2 stadiums in Melbourne with dimensions set up for AFLW.

I do watch mens & womens country footy in N_NSW, don't know what size the grounds are. not small, what happens in Melbourne?

Last edited:
IMG20191029142617_2__92391.1620209388.1280.1280__46332.1689577539.jpg

shopping

Remove this Banner Ad

Back