AFLW Round 5 Richmond v Fremantle, 1:05pm Fri 29/09 @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

just got finished catching up on the replay

please get kelly out of the side, give any other ruck a chance (think we only have one). bad mark, bad kick, is tall enough to get hitouts but we're down a player outside of the ruck when she's on. fine with not dropping her cos we won last week, but this week surely you make a change

decent 3 qtrs from us, but useless 1st qtr lost it for us, 2nd qtr could've really ****ed us if they converted all their chances

stella reid no where near it this game unfortunately, only 57% tog though for whatever reason

jemima woods has a nice boot on her, she's gotta stay

please get kelly out of the side, give any other ruck a chance (think we only have one). bad mark, bad kick, is tall enough to get hitouts but we're down a player outside of the ruck when she's on. fine with not dropping her cos we won last week, but this week surely you make a change
Never quite understood our decision to delisting Alice Edmonds. I know she was only just OK as a back up Ruck, but big girls like big boys take a little time - she is way ahead of Kelly.

Not blaming Shaun Hampson directly, but the team efforts have not really progressed this season, and his arrival coincides. On paper a much better side - but not really making the connections.

Last edited:

Ryan and Kiely played a scatch match this Friday on managed minutes, so no chance (round 6 at earliest)

JHosking gone for the season, probably D'Arcy as well.

Miller wont be ready next game, She had surgery Monday on finger injury, has her follow up appointment with the surgeon this week

SHosking done another hamstring could be season ending, depending how bad it is

Ellie at least another 2 weeks, maybe more

the emergencies Knoll and Peck are KP players and Train-on player Shannon Danckert (ex GCS) are it, no more fit players

the players and emergencies we had this week are the only players we have available.

GCS next game, could be season on the line as far as finals go
Without seeing injury list of rivals I get the Impression that W game appears to be way demanding on players , our injury list in relative terms is huge every year , Ellie Mc would average 4 games a year

Without seeing injury list of rivals I get the Impression that W game appears to be way demanding on players , our injury list in relative terms is huge every year , Ellie Mc would average 4 games a year
Does beg the question whether a more modified game is in the best interests of the most AFLW footballers.

Does beg the question whether a more modified game is in the best interests of the most AFLW footballers.
One thing that sticks out with W footy is they have been quick to grasp tackling and defensive pressure , but far less able to evade and work through that as agility appears to be way less of a trait with W footballers , the game is lesser for that . It’s left field but I would strongly consider a version of off side that meant say 3-4 players at all times must be outside of I50 , it would clear the decks , limit a huge % of congestion and make for a better spectacle with higher scoring as a result

One thing that sticks out with W footy is they have been quick to grasp tackling and defensive pressure , but far less able to evade and work through that as agility appears to be way less of a trait with W footballers , the game is lesser for that . It’s left field but I would strongly consider a version of off side that meant say 3-4 players at all times must be outside of I50 , it would clear the decks , limit a huge % of congestion and make for a better spectacle with higher scoring as a result
I recall when listening to couple of the players (think Daisy was one) that they want the game to be as close to the mens as possible - they really didn't want differences - and I respect that.

However I did use the words "the most AFLW footballers" for a reason. I think there needs to be some pretty solid research done with all the elite players themselves and see what sort appetite there is for some modification.

I recall when listening to couple of the players (think Daisy was one) that they want the game to be as close to the mens as possible - they really didn't want differences - and I respect that.

However I did use the words "the most AFLW footballers" for a reason. I think there needs to be some pretty solid research done with all the elite players themselves and see what sort appetite there is for some modification.
I expect that would be the answer if you asked a player , However I would put my challenge to them also , coz I have little doubt they are far less able to work thru traffic due to more limited agility than men’s game

I expect that would be the answer if you asked a player , However I would put my challenge to them also , coz I have little doubt they are far less able to work thru traffic due to more limited agility than men’s game
think it's just a matter of time and professionalism in the under ages

just need more professional basketball backgrounds™ to make it. conti is the best at weaving through traffic and even pushing off players for a little unit. and even lavey is pretty agile in traffic iirc

Perhaps you can also apply that principle as the new head of Gymnastics Australia;)

the problem with the Women's game is we're comparing it to the men's game which is 120+ years in the making.

from 1897 to 1929 in all GF's (the best 2 teams) the scores are very average to the women's scores
1930 was the first 100-point score in a GF, made by Coll v Rich
all this with the men being physically more able to kick further, run faster etc.

I'd go as far as to say back then the men's game looked exactly if not worse than the present women's.
if we let it grow organically from juniors to AFLW, eventually it'll be a great product.

there are no facts that say it will be better if we make it different to the men's.
more than likely it'll be worse.

it all comes down to one thing..........full time professionalism.
until then it'll take time to have more gun players like Mon Conti and Jas Garner (probably the 2 best going around ATM)

the problem with the Women's game is we're comparing it to the men's game which is 120+ years in the making.

from 1897 to 1929 in all GF's (the best 2 teams) the scores are very average to the women's scores
all this with the men being physically more able to kick further, run faster etc.

I'd go as far as to say back then the men's game looked exactly if not worse than the present women's.
if we let it grow organically from juniors to AFLW, eventually it'll be a great product.

there are no facts that say it will be better if we make it different to the men's.

until then it'll take time to have more gun players like Mon Conti and Jas Garner (probably the 2 best going around ATM)
All fair points - and I'm carefull not to compare to the mens game I think, though full-time professionalism took a long time when you think about the men. My concern is for young female bodies expected to do so much more work than they are currently conditioned to do and the impact that has on the individuals, not so much the game. The diversity in the women's comp is immense.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re likely right Stan , still the demands of the game are appearing too great for many of these athletes with injury list >25% of player stocks with 1/2 season to go . The junior numbers are encouraging and I don’t doubt the std will continue to improve , it’s the injury toll that needs to be addressed

Watching the better sides in the AFLW, we only have half a dozen players in our side that could match it with them, after that we have a few younger ones that need time & then there are some players that just are not skilful enough at the top level. Which just means we are a team in the middle of the pack. There seems to be a top 4 & then a couple of teams not far behind & then the rest.
If we don't recruit well in the next couple of seasons, I can see us falling towards the bottom teams in the comp. Just watching the skills of the best teams is quite good to watch, then it quickly drops away outside of the top 5-6 teams.

Watching the better sides in the AFLW, we only have half a dozen players in our side that could match it with them, after that we have a few younger ones that need time & then there are some players that just are not skilful enough at the top level. Which just means we are a team in the middle of the pack. There seems to be a top 4 & then a couple of teams not far behind & then the rest.
If we don't recruit well in the next couple of seasons, I can see us falling towards the bottom teams in the comp. Just watching the skills of the best teams is quite good to watch, then it quickly drops away outside of the top 5-6 teams.

i get the same impression.
Melbourne, Adelaide, Nth Melbourne and Brisbane are very well drilled teams, great to watch.
the way they play is the future of all AFLW teams at a minimum going forward.
the rest of the teams are making up the numbers, i expect the next 4 premierships to be won by the above 4 sides.

with the way the U/18 girls are improving, there won't be as big of a gap in draft pick positions.
having a national draft will fix that even more.

at a guess by 2025/26, 50% or more of our list will be gone.
our trades have been pretty good so far, our drafting maybe a little less.
i honestly can't see us consistently challenging the current best 4 teams, let alone thinking we're a flag chance until 2025/26
ATM I'm enjoying the ride/buildup of our AFLW team.

funny thing is I'm enjoying the AFLW far more than the AFL, mainly due to its infancy.

You’re likely right Stan , still the demands of the game are appearing too great for many of these athletes with injury list >25% of player stocks with 1/2 season to go . The junior numbers are encouraging and I don’t doubt the std will continue to improve , it’s the injury toll that needs to be addressed

the injury toll shouldn't be as bad when team lists increase from 30 to 33 and then 33 to 36.
having the VFLW align with the AFLW season would help as well.

What have our crowds been like at ikon , really don’t like the idea of playing there , talk about arse end of the universe . Haw did good utilising franger as a home deck and are drawing great crowds , we should have focussed on a local suburban ground too , not easy with cricket moving in . I suspect the decision was made coz they have better change rooms

Injury report from the aflw site.

I don’t remember Ellie even limping from the ground in the first game…
if she doesn’t play again this season I’m not confident of making finals.
We look like we are running outve players

richmond.jpg

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Sarah D’ArcyHamstring5 weeks
Jess HoskingSyndesmosis6 weeks
Sarah HoskingHamstring1-2 weeks
Ellie McKenzieAnkle2-4 weeks
Bec MillerFinger1 week
Charley RyanFootTBC
Updated: October 4, 2023

richmond.jpg

Bec MillerFinger1 week
Charley RyanFootTBC
i think they mentioned it happened in the final 2 minutes of the game in regards to mckenzie

What have our crowds been like at ikon , really don’t like the idea of playing there , talk about arse end of the universe . Haw did good utilising franger as a home deck and are drawing great crowds , we should have focussed on a local suburban ground too , not easy with cricket moving in . I suspect the decision was made coz they have better change rooms
Hawks used Franga because Box Hill surface was not up to scratch by the way. Think that might be true for a number of what you might think are plausible options.

richmond.jpg

Bec MillerFinger1 week
Charley RyanFootTBC
Port Melb would have been ideal I think but I bet players would have preferred amenities at ikon

Personally I agree, assuming it is even available as it has a cricket pitch doesn't it?

Last edited:
Personally I agree, assuming it is even available as it has a cricket pitch doesn't it?
Port Melb play sub district cricket on that ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back