Movies & TV Last movie you watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched all of Parasite, Knives Out and JoJo Rabbit last week; had high hopes that I'd enjoy the hell out of all of them, came away underwhelmed by all 3 unfortunately.
I don't watch a helluva lot of films these days so I was a wee bit disappointed and wondered if it was a 'me' problem, but then started watching Better Call Saul S5 and was immediately right into it ... perhaps the film format doesn't do it for me like it used to, dunno ... planning to watch Little Women with my daughter tomorrow night, hopefully that goes a bit better than the other 3 ...

I haven't seen Parasite or JoJo Rabbit, but I will gladly watch Knives Out again and again.

I don't think there's another modern Hollywood writer or director with a better understanding of framing and genre than Johnson, and Knives Out was this superb blend of whodunnit and comedy.

I haven't seen Parasite or JoJo Rabbit, but I will gladly watch Knives Out again and again.

I don't think there's another modern Hollywood writer or director with a better understanding of framing and genre than Johnson, and Knives Out was this superb blend of whodunnit and comedy.

I really enjoyed Knives Out - saw it at the movies and thought it was a good, original movie

Knives Out was probably the one I was looking forward to most of the 3 that I mentioned, and I do like Rian Johnson, but I was left really underwhelmed, unfortunately. Landgraft you'll be pleased to know (and most likely already do) that there is talk of turning Knives Out into a 'franchise'..

Knives Out was probably the one I was looking forward to most of the 3 that I mentioned, and I do like Rian Johnson, but I was left really underwhelmed, unfortunately. Landgraft you'll be pleased to know (and most likely already do) that there is talk of turning Knives Out into a 'franchise'..

Yeah, more Benoit Blanc movies. Which part didn't connect with you in particular?

I really enjoyed Knives Out - saw it at the movies and thought it was a good, original movie

I saw it at the movies and realised that the ads were so different from normal that it was kind of an indictment on me because apparently I normally only go to see kids movies.

Yeah, more Benoit Blanc movies. Which part didn't connect with you in particular?

Really hard to say - here's what I was hoping for/expecting, I suppose: a kind of updated ''Clue'' with Coen-esque dialogue and quirky characters.
I'd have settled for a Wes Anderson-ish thing, which the trailer's had perhaps implied by way of set and costume design.
I didn't feel as though it delivered what I hoped for though, and nor was I pleasantly surprised by what I did get - the dialogue didn't do a lot for me (there were some fun moments I'm happy to concede; I didn't think it was a disaster by any means) and I thought the conceit of a woman unable to lie without vomiting was just too contrived.

I saw it at the movies and realised that the ads were so different from normal that it was kind of an indictment on me because apparently I normally only go to see kids movies.

Ah, now Farmageddon? That was a good film!! :greenalien:

Hmm, come to think of it I'm actually struggling to think of a modern movie I've enjoyed of late (not counting kids flicks!) - like i said I don't see a helluva lot .. I was disappointed in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, too, which was another newer film that I've seen recently ...

I know it's not the TV thread, but I am presently enjoying Better Call Saul, and the new season of Curb has had its moments too ... thought I'd give 'Devs' a go, too, but I think I'm already bailing on it after 2 episodes ..

Really hard to say - here's what I was hoping for/expecting, I suppose: a kind of updated ''Clue'' with Coen-esque dialogue and quirky characters.
I'd have settled for a Wes Anderson-ish thing, which the trailer's had perhaps implied by way of set and costume design.
I didn't feel as though it delivered what I hoped for though, and nor was I pleasantly surprised by what I did get - the dialogue didn't do a lot for me (there were some fun moments I'm happy to concede; I didn't think it was a disaster by any means) and I thought the conceit of a woman unable to lie without vomiting was just too contrived.

Hmm, come to think of it I'm actually struggling to think of a modern movie I've enjoyed of late (not counting kids flicks!) - like i said I don't see a helluva lot .. I was disappointed in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, too, which was another newer film that I've seen recently ...

I know it's not the TV thread, but I am presently enjoying Better Call Saul, and the new season of Curb has had its moments too ... thought I'd give 'Devs' a go, too, but I think I'm already bailing on it after 2 episodes ..

If that broke suspension of disbelief then fair enough I guess, for me it was the opposite and just worked. Still, at least whenever they make the next Benoit Blanc mystery the case will be completely different so you'll be free to try that one out.

TV does seem to be morphing into the serious drama platform while movies become a family focused sideshow. We've just finished watching Witcher which was agonisingly close to being really good, but felt weighed down by some dubious logic and very inconsistent standards of costuming. Next up will hopefully be getting around to watching Chernobyl.

If that broke suspension of disbelief then fair enough I guess, for me it was the opposite and just worked. Still, at least whenever they make the next Benoit Blanc mystery the case will be completely different so you'll be free to try that one out.

TV does seem to be morphing into the serious drama platform while movies become a family focused sideshow. We've just finished watching Witcher which was agonisingly close to being really good, but felt weighed down by some dubious logic and very inconsistent standards of costuming. Next up will hopefully be getting around to watching Chernobyl.

I was a bit the same with The Witcher; I enjoyed aspects of it but it ultimately fell a bit short for me too - that song is insanely catchy though!

Chernobyl was obviously bleak, but excellent, really enjoyed that.

That’s a fair point regarding further Benoit Blanc escapades, hopefully I’d get more out of a different mystery ..

I was a bit the same with The Witcher; I enjoyed aspects of it but it ultimately fell a bit short for me too - that song is insanely catchy though!

Chernobyl was obviously bleak, but excellent, really enjoyed that.

That’s a fair point regarding further Benoit Blanc escapades, hopefully I’d get more out of a different mystery ..
Landgraft too

I agree that it fell short. I found the bard extremely annoying 🙄

The best aspect of the show is the utterly gorgeous Henry Cavill 🤤😋🤤

31BC3A46-6E85-479E-8BE2-11D00CF0BCDF.jpeg

8A024493-69B6-47E0-8709-EA942CEA0B02.jpeg

Began watching The Valhalla Murders last night + it’s excellent, except for the dreadful dubbing.

It’s Icelandic Noir, which revolves around corruption, systematic injustice + the devastating psychological impacts of childhood abuse.

S1 of the Netflix crime-drama depicts how two police investigators take up the fight against a monstrous serial killer targeting high profile businessmen loosely associated with a boys' home, for delinquents aged seven to 14, who are treated horribly.

The female characters are strong, which is the norm in Nordic shows.

Landgraft too

I agree that it fell short. I found the bard extremely annoying 🙄

The best aspect of the show is the utterly gorgeous Henry Cavill 🤤😋🤤

Cavill is okay I guess? But pretty weird looking. And the wig and that armour they keep putting him in are both so bad that I could never take him at all seriously.

The bard is pretty much exactly what he's meant to be, but I have a soft spot for idiot bards. The highlight of the show for me was the princess and it wasn't even close. That performance was bang on to the point where she seemed to lift up the performers around her as well by giving them something they could bounce off of so effectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cavill is okay I guess? But pretty weird looking. And the wig and that armour they keep putting him in are both so bad that I could never take him at all seriously.

The bard is pretty much exactly what he's meant to be, but I have a soft spot for idiot bards. The highlight of the show for me was the princess and it wasn't even close. That performance was bang on to the point where she seemed to lift up the performers around her as well by giving them something they could bounce off of so effectively.

I think it’s his eyes, such a strange colour

1585181323515.jpeg

His eyes are so gorgeous IRL
Despite having heterochromia iridum

1585181436648.jpeg

Trivia
https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...-blinded-himself-filming-netflixs-the-witcher

Only just discovered Curb Your Enthusiasm + loving it 😻

The Ugly Section was hilarious 🤣

My favourite

The Ugly Section was hilarious 🤣

I liked the Witcher. Thought it would be terrible cause game movies/shows usually are but was allright.
Liked the witchy chick who was a freak and turned hot.
Chernobyl is good.

Even I can see how all the girls wanna bang him haha. Has the coolest voice.
Thought the bard was kinda funny.
There are some totally hilarious comments on Twitter about: ‘My husband doesn’t mind that I want to bang Henry Cavill, ‘cause he wants to do him too!’ 😜

Google Cavill about his Witcher voice, it’s interesting.

I liked the Witcher. Thought it would be terrible cause game movies/shows usually are but was allright.
Liked the witchy chick who was a freak and turned hot.
Chernobyl is good.

It was books before it was a series of games, though. And honestly most game movies choose the wrong kind of material to adapt. If story heavy adventure RPGs were chosen more often it's be easier to make a reliably good adaptation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back