Strategy Which clubs will adapt better to the new spending environment, and which will suffer?

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought this tweet from Stevo was interesting.

It is going to be fascinating to see which clubs can adapt best to the new footy reality.

Remodelling footy departments on the run mid-season is going to be difficult.

The days of this:

1589330518448.png

are no longer.

On the surface of it, clubs that spend less on their footy departments are going to experience less disruption.

But it may not work that way - the clubs with the best people in their footy departments will be best placed to adapt to the new reality, regardless of who they are.

Will some clubs struggle? Will some thrive?

I can see a lot of Assistant coaches looking for new jobs, and the Senior coach taking more of an active role in everything, like they used to.

Maybe a bare minimum:
1 Senior coach
3 assistants (attack, centre, defense)
1 Computer guru for monitoring/displaying live stats.

I can see a lot of Assistant coaches looking for new jobs, and the Senior coach taking more of an active role in everything, like they used to.

Maybe a bare minimum:
1 Senior coach

It won't happen but it would be fascinating if the league mandated a set up like you say, and then a max salary for each and gave the clubs allowances thereof.

Forcing clubs to try and attract staff on more than simple $$$. That already happens to some degree anyway.

Obviously lots of wives would get highly paid jobs as receptionists and staff would suddenly get in on property deals in the outer suburbs etc, it would get rorted.

Maybe a bare minimum:
1 Senior coach

It is also interesting which roles the AFL have mandated must stay - player welfare, psychs etc.

Don't think it will have much impact in upsetting the current balance, good teams are good teams and bad team are bad teams largely due to the club list and main contributors in the coaching staff rather than the 14th guy in a coaches box who may just be there to make sure the computers work or a developmental coach.

Don't think it will have much impact in upsetting the current balance, good teams are good teams and bad team are bad teams largely due to the club list and main contributors in the coaching staff rather than the 14th guy in a coaches box who may just be there to make sure the computers work or a developmental coach.

In theory agree and it will probably balance out the way in the medium term.

But in the short term, clubs are going to have to remodel their footy department on the run mid season.

Some will handle that better than others. There will be serious impacts for some imo.

Rich clubs will still have more money, and while there will doubtless be cuts, I highly doubt that the AFL will insist on them sacking even more people.

I really can't see the argument "We only need to sack 50 people, but lets make it 80, just so the poorer clubs will do better..." going a long way.

Can anyone think of a sport around the world that has such a density of coaches and is
there an agenda to remove the overcoaching aspect from the game.

AFLW gives a unique view of teams trying to play like the men and other teams that
allow the girls to play, it is interesting to watch and learn. They don't have a long
history of evolution to build off.

Rich clubs will still have more money, and while there will doubtless be cuts, I highly doubt that the AFL will insist on them sacking even more people.

I really can't see the argument "We only need to sack 50 people, but lets make it 80, just so the poorer clubs will do better..." going a long way.

That's literally what the AFL is saying and doing.

There's going to be huge footy department cuts.

Can anyone think of a sport around the world that has such a density of coaches and is

AFLW gives a unique view of teams trying to play like the men and other teams that
allow the girls to play, it is interesting to watch and learn. They don't have a long

Completely agree on both.

And the over coaching can actively hinder the development of players. I think of Luke McDonald as a key example.

NFL!

Comparison
Richmond FC
Senior Coach - Damien Hardwick
Assistant Coach/Backline - Justin Leppitsch
Assistant Coach/Midfield - Andrew McQualter
Assistant Coach/Midfield - Adam Kingsley
Assistant Coach/Forwards - Craig McRae
VFL/Development Coach - Xavier Clarke
Development Coach - Ryan Ferguson
Ruck Coach - Ivan Maric
Development Coach - Sam Lonergan

Here's a list of the coaches currently at the Denver Broncos in the NFL.
Head Coach
Offensive Co-Ordinator
Assistant Offensive Co-Ordinator
Defensive Co-Ordinator
Assistant Defensive Co-Ordinator
Special Teams Coach
Quarterback Coach
Running Backs Coach
Wide Receivers Coach
Tight End Coach
Offensive Line Coach
Assistant Offensive Line Coach
Offensive Quality Control Coach
Assistant Offensive Quality Control Coach
Defensive Line Coach
Lineback Coach
Secondary Coach
Defensive Quality Control Coach
Strength Coach
Assistant Strength Coach

NFL!

Comparison
Richmond FC
Senior Coach - Damien Hardwick
Assistant Coach/Backline - Justin Leppitsch
Assistant Coach/Midfield - Andrew McQualter
Assistant Coach/Midfield - Adam Kingsley
Assistant Coach/Forwards - Craig McRae
VFL/Development Coach - Xavier Clarke
Development Coach - Ryan Ferguson
Ruck Coach - Ivan Maric
Development Coach - Sam Lonergan

Head Coach
Offensive Co-Ordinator
Defensive Co-Ordinator
Special Teams Coach
Quarterback Coach
Running Backs Coach
Wide Receivers Coach
Tight End Coach
Offensive Line Coach
Defensive Line Coach
Lineback Coach
Secondary Coach
Strength Coach
Assistant Strength Coach

Good post.

But AFL doesn't have multiple teams as it were.

How many on an NFL list compared to AFL?

The better comparison would be the coaches per listed player ratio maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post.

But AFL doesn't have multiple teams as it were.

How many on an NFL list compared to AFL?

The better comparison would be the coaches per listed player ratio maybe?

55 on an active roster, not much more than an AFL list in it's "current" format.
Difference being that there's only 11 players a side on the field at once in the NFL, compared to our 18.

Head Coach
Offensive Co-Ordinator
Defensive Co-Ordinator
Special Teams Coach
Quarterback Coach
Running Backs Coach
Wide Receivers Coach
Tight End Coach
Offensive Line Coach
Defensive Line Coach
Lineback Coach
Secondary Coach
Strength Coach
Assistant Strength Coach
Where is the Punting Coach, no wonder the Denver Broncos are lacking.
(Joking obviously, but who wears the headsets when it's "Go Time")

I can see roles like Phil Narkles be cut because some clubs dont deem it necessary, does the AFL?
I can see the AFL thinking someone in HQ can pick up the peices.

55 on an active roster, not much more than an AFL list in it's "current" format.
Difference being that there's only 11 players a side on the field at once in the NFL, compared to our 18.

Given how much AFL idolises and emulates NFL, at a systemic level, to coaches visiting NFL clubs in the off season, you're probably right in that this is where the More Is Better attitude to coaches came from.

Where is the Punting Coach, no wonder the Denver Broncos are lacking.
(Joking obviously, but who wears the headsets when it's "Go Time")

Punters are coached by the Special Teams coach.
There are multiple "Headset" wearers in the NFL, and each can call the shots... all depends on who the head coach is and how much of a say they let their assistants and co-ordinators have.

I can see roles like Phil Narkles be cut because some clubs dont deem it necessary, does the AFL?
I can see the AFL thinking someone in HQ can pick up the peices.

AFL has said that certain roles around player welfare/welllbeing/psychology MUST be protected.

Not sure if this would fit in, but I reckon it would, or could be made to.

There are multiple "Headset" wearers in the NFL, and each can call the shots... all depends on who the head coach is and how much of a say they let their assistants and co-ordinators have.

The whole "wearing the headset" and who calls the shots thing is interesting in the AFL context.

What DO some of the many blokes with laptops in a box actually do?

Thank you, I did not know that. I always find the American system with the emphasis
on college sports quite interesting with the big sports.

It is going to be fascinating to see which clubs can adapt best to the new footy reality.

The days of this:

View attachment 874835

are no longer.

On the surface of it, clubs that spend less on their footy departments are going to experience less disruption.

But it may not work that way - the clubs with the best people in their footy departments will be best placed to adapt to the new reality, regardless of who they are.

The cap will be the same for all clubs, just reduced. Clubs who have done it well in the past, will most likely find the best way to do it again. It will probably make it even more difficult for some of the struggling clubs to keep up.

The whole "wearing the headset" and who calls the shots thing is interesting in the AFL context.

What DO some of the many blokes with laptops in a box actually do?

Some of them watch time-on-field for players, some watch the running zones, soem of them are inputting what the opposition does with their players so they can see the same from the other side.

The days of this:

View attachment 874835

are no longer.

You'll likely to see reduction in the niche roles and the remaining staff taking on some additional tasks is my guess, the performance side of the organisation is not where they'd want to be cutting costs though.

You might also see external companies pop up run by some of these staff that do game-day analysis as a third party for a couple of clubs instead of being directly employed.

AFL has said that certain roles around player welfare/welllbeing/psychology MUST be protected.

Not sure if this would fit in, but I reckon it would, or could be made to.

The question for the AFL is how flexible their 'one size fits all' thinking is - its not going too well as yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back