Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Next up we have David Rhys-Jones vs Lance Whitnall.

For those too young or who need a reminder...

David Rhys-Jones
182 games (106 for Carlton)
112 goals (73 for Carlton)
Premiership player - 1987
Norm Smith medal - 1987
Carlton Hall of Fame member

Lance Whitnall
216 games
348 goals
Best and Fairest winner - 2006
All-Australian - 2000
Club captain - 2007
Leading goalkicker - 1998, 1999, 2000

rhysjones.jpg VS whitnall.jpg

Who are you voting for, and why?

Geez, this is the hardest to date.

Rhys, who will ever forget him pantsing Dermie in the 87 GF. Loved his toughness and he also had a lot of skill.

Big Lance was a favourite of mine, mainly because i could remember his father playing. He seemed to know where the ball was going before it left his teammates boot. Who'll ever forget that goal in the 1999 Prelim..

Big Lance for me.

Big Red for his goal in the prelim.

Single best Carlton goal since Sticks against North in '87.

I wish his body was up to the AFL more than it was and that he had a longer genuine prime but was one of my favorites.

Bluebag13, Robr and Wickzi have summarised this all perfectly.

I was going to vote for Whitnall only for the fact that he had a longer career at Carlton than Rhys, but he did let himself down in the back end of career and particularly didn’t train hard enough to get his body right to get the most out of himself, he was a very smart footballer but sometimes smarts on its own can only take you so far, if your body can’t cash the smart cheque’s then :think: .

so it’s Rhys-Jones for me.

david-rhys-jones_1_orig.jpg

This is a very close one.

Rhys was a good player but not a great player imo. He could be great on occasion, but mainly he was just good.

Lance was a huge talent who put together a good career. AA key forward at 20 or 21. Imagine Harry or Charlie being AA last year or even the year before.

I think it could be reasonably argued that both players could have had better careers if they were more focused.

I really liked Rhys. He was one of my favorites of his time. But Lance for me by a pimple.

Definitely the toughest to date.

Young Lance was exciting but problem was he became bone lazy and that for me is enough to swing it to RHYS.

Both had careers they could be proud of and had a big impact at Carlton, but Lance left a bit to give IMO.

Last edited:
Another h2h seemingly with an 80s bad boy vs an unfulfilled, mismanaged late 90s/00s talent.

Rhys-Jones quite comfortably due to the Norm Smith, and take no s**t attitude.

Lance, what might have been. This whole exercise has brought the puerile, self-centred, banana republic of an admin into stark profile. Another super talented player let down by a leadership void.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once they worked it out and the likes of Hoops, Stevens, and Scotland kicked to him (as opposed to Hulme, Francina, Beaumont), he starred. Fev was very successful by any measure if you look at his stats , and the number of games he won off his own boot.

But..... imagine how he could've turned out if he'd played for Sydney, Hawthorn, or Geelong with their culture, their discipline, their skills, and their game styles. He might've been a 1,000-goal kicker with multiple premierships.

We wasted Fev's career, not to mention Houlihan, Murphy, Gibbs, and probably others I'm forgetting atm.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Numerous times I have expressed my man crush on the great Fev - an absolute cracker. Now that I have got that nightmare image of Fev not in navy blue out of my head, I thinking 1000 odd goals to his name is a possibility playing in said teams with their skills and game styles. But there is one thing I have always seriously pondered. Would their culture and discipline have really made him a better player or just trained out/removed the natural instincts and flair that was Fev.

This'll go down to the wire. Went Hyphen. Unfair really, he had a helluva lot of stars around him.

Most of Hyphen's opponents had a helluva lot of stars around them too....

1590473870477.png

Back