Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

First Carlton game my bulldog supporting dad took me too was v doggies at princes park.
I saw Jezza ,Doull, Big Nick , Southby and of course Syd..... 1970?
Well that was it for me. (sorry Dad , I don't care how much you love Ted Whitten)
The Blues flogged em and I saw all the stars and my love affair with Carlton began .
Probably first time I had even seen an Aboriginal person in the flesh, and could he play !!
Another lifelong appreciation started with indigenous players. So special.

Having said all that DEAN for me.
Played many more games and epitomized toughness and team spirit.
A BLOODY RIPPER !!!

Bloody cruel choice though!!! :anguished:

Last edited:

I think Michael Jezz was trying to rank modern day Carlton CHFs who have won a premiership. Not their contributions to said premierships or # of flags.

So....Sticks vs Walls in a straight H2H comparison?

With no Disrespect to Rob, I think Sticks wins that clearly. Hell, the club even named Sticks the 2nd best Blue of all time...
Fair enough. But even so, I rate Walls ahead of Sticks as a Carlton CHF. As a FF, they were equally good, but Sticks certainly has a better record there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Time for round 2.

A few things:

1) Thank you for your participation. This has been great fun to organise and read your thoughts and memories of some of our greatest ever players. Keep them coming!

2) We are voting for the greatest we have seen. Please do not vote for someone if you never saw them play.

3) If you only saw one of two in any matchup play, you are encouraged to vote for the player you saw. However, you are allowed to abstain if you so choose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce Doull was already a cult hero when I started watching football.
Lou Richards taught me from my childhood tv screen he was the Flying Doormat.

In my teenage years got to start going to game myself. Feel blessed all these years later to know I saw more than just a cult hero but an absolute legend to see live at the ground for his last four seasons. Did not realise right away he was best defender ever but truly do decades later with more appreciation of the history of game before and since.

Sorry Sellers. You've never had a hope here on your side of draw,

Mark Maclure is clearly miles ahead of Bruce Doull .... at public speaking.

Football wise Bruce is light years ahead. His vision, his judgment, his evasiveness, his patrolling of the backline covering for his teammates, his ability to play tall or small.

Probably the biggest aura I have ever seen around a Carlton player. Doull was no mere mortal.

Back