AFL Round 4 - Non-MFC Game Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Bont play shows why the premature calls on Oliver being an all timer were so far off. Oliver's elite at some things but hes a ways off being as good a complete footballer as Bont
Oliver's winning the stat that counts most... Least number of man buns / ponytails.

Watching Bont play shows why the premature calls on Oliver being an all timer were so far off. Oliver's elite at some things but hes a ways off being as good a complete footballer as Bont

Agree, Oliver is great at what he does but outside that he's pretty bad at almost everything else. Bont's ability of actually look dangerous as a forward puts him in a different class to Oliver. Still, it could be worse.

I've always rated Bont higher than Oliver and Cripps.

He was the best player in the 2016 granny. Having a quick look at his stats in that game he had 11 contested possessions and 14 kicks averaging 35 m at perfect efficiency. Now he is more of a contested beast and takes heroic marks running back with the flight of the ball. He is perfect captain material. Reminds me of Lenny Hayes in that you can't hate him.

Bont is a better rounded player than anyone else bar Fyfe, and it makes sense that his versatility is really standing out over time. Cripps is elite at what he does and does it better than anyone else, but Bontempelli is the new Adam Goodes. Can play anywhere at a ridiculously good level.

This board criminally underrates Oliver though. He's two years younger than Bontempelli and has been a top 5 inside mid since he was 21. That's pretty bloody incredible.

Mate I have not alot wrong with Oliver's progression, he's the best mid I've ever seen at Melbourne due to his consistency. But he's far from great imo.
He will get there with the right guidance. Sam Mitchell wasn't a 'great' yet in his fifth year. By the Hawks flag year (his seventh year) he was well in the conversation. Having said that, one had Clarko and one has Goodwin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont is a better rounded player than anyone else bar Fyfe, and it makes sense that his versatility is really standing out over time. Cripps is elite at what he does and does it better than anyone else, but Bontempelli is the new Adam Goodes. Can play anywhere at a ridiculously good level.

This board criminally underrates Oliver though. He's two years younger than Bontempelli and has been a top 5 inside mid since he was 21. That's pretty bloody incredible.
You're right on Oliver being underrated, but he's a bit like Cripps in that he doesn't have many other strings to his bow than being a gun in the guts. He could rotate forward more and be a solid target so probably can add that in time.

You're right on Oliver being underrated, but he's a bit like Cripps in that he doesn't have many other strings to his bow than being a gun in the guts. He could rotate forward more and be a solid target so probably can add that in time.
Cripps can go forward & kick goals though. Oliver in theory should be able to as well given he is a pretty good overhead mark yet whenever we have tried him up there he usually goes unsighted.

Bomt is a talent unlike any we’ve had in ages. Cut from the kind of cloth where we’re lucky he’s inconsistent or he could be one of the GOATs and the Dogs would be unstoppable. Match winner. Oliver not even in that conversation.

How good was that one umpire from the pies giants game? Gave a bad free for a high tackle to brown in the last and when the players were giving it to him he calmly said, mate if I've got it wrong I got wrong but I can't change it now.

How good was that one umpire from the pies giants game? Gave a bad free for a high tackle to brown in the last and when the players were giving it to him he calmly said, mate if I've got it wrong I got wrong but I can't change it now.
Yeah, great umpiring, completely shuts down the argument from there. It not really much different from any umpire saying "I saw it this way" but the admission that he accepts the possibility that he could be wrong is basically the end of it.

My mate had an experience like that as an umpire said he may have stuffed up. I think players accept it better when an umpire can admit they may have seen/got something wrong. Nothing worse being a player and getting told you did something which you know the umpire got wrong or they just guessed. Though some players are just pricks that can't accept that they did something wrong.

On the oliver vs bont discussions I don't think oliver will ever be a player like bont who will 'win a game of his own boot' nothing against oliver he's just not that type of player. Oliver is great at winning the ball and bringing other players into the game. The problem is the players that Oliver gets it out to. Bont on the other hand does it all, when a game is there to be won he goes up a gear. If you need a clutch mark in defense he's there, when a goal needed to be kicked he'll find a way ect. We don't really have a player like that atm petracca is starting to look like that sort of player maybe jackson is another player the club thinks may develop into.

On the oliver vs bont discussions I don't think oliver will ever be a player like bont who will 'win a game of his own boot' nothing against oliver he's just not that type of player. Oliver is great at winning the ball and bringing other players into the game. The problem is the players that Oliver gets it out to. Bont on the other hand does it all, when a game is there to be won he goes up a gear. If you need a clutch mark in defense he's there, when a goal needed to be kicked he'll find a way ect. We don't really have a player like that atm petracca is starting to look like that sort of player maybe jackson is another player the club thinks may develop into.
Petracca is closer to a Bont than Oliver. Even Brayshaw to a certain degree. Oliver is a distributor while Bont can be distributor and finisher. Petracca has both qualities albeit with a bit more power but less class than Bont. Bont and Charlie Cameron are my two favourite players to watch. Petracca is climbing up the charts though..

Petracca is closer to a Bont than Oliver. Even Brayshaw to a certain degree. Oliver is a distributor while Bont can be distributor and finisher. Petracca has both qualities albeit with a bit more power but less class than Bont. Bont and Charlie Cameron are my two favourite players to watch. Petracca is climbing up the charts though..
He was where on Thursday. I noticed some one make goodes comparison which I like. I always remember Goodes as a player that always tore us a new one. As for current players personally love Fyfe. Him and Walters really carry that freo side.

I can't believe how much the hub has affected West Coast. Honestly thought they were a more mature side.
I reckon if they've just decided to roll over for the duration of the stay in the hub and expect to turn it around when they head home they're in for a bad time. Kidding yourself if you think you can just flip the switch on poor form. I feel like just blaming the hub is a bit of a cop out anyway, I think they completely under estimated Gold Coast in the first game back and thought they'd do it easy, and instead the Suns came to play and bullied them. Someone excused it by saying it was because of the hubs, and that's the defeatist attitude they've been happy to adopt since then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back