Radio 'You cannot be serious' podcast with Sam Newman, Don Scott and Rod Law

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan has already defended himself on twitter in regards to it.

Doesn’t need to defend himself though

Guess it just more that they didn’t pluck it from the sky to mention it

Doesn’t need to defend himself though

Guess it just more that they didn’t pluck it from the sky to mention it

I've mentioned it before but I'm fairly sure i've heard Winmar say it was about guts, and that was the impression I've had about the photo.

No doubt the mystic around the photo has evolved as time has gone on and maybe the real story twisted a little.

I'm not quite sure why this went to mediation? Did Winmar threaten to sue them over their opinion that the picture was him referring to he's got guts? If so, why sue over an incorrect opinion? It sounds like this is what they believed, Winmar only had to come out and say no it was about me pointing to my Black skin in defiance of racism.
They didn't racially vilify him, they just had an incorrect interpretation of what it was about. We laugh at American's ability to rush to lawyers to sue anyone about anything, this looks like exactly the same scenario.
Also, Mick mentioning that, among others, Michael O'Loughlin ringing him to counsel him. Did he also advise him how to pay out of court to avoid a criminal conviction?

I'm not totally sure, but I think Sam originally said things along the lines of, "history was re-written and people have been dining out on it ever since."
Either way, he definitely toned down his thoughts for the following episode.

Don said the dining out bit

It was resolved pretty quickly which is interesting, I don’t see how winmar wins the case , but he would have won and is winning the public battle so guess this makes it go away

I mean sam is going to cop it even after the apology judging by twitter

Apparently they will delete the episode

I'm not quite sure why this went to mediation? Did Winmar threaten to sue them over their opinion that the picture was him referring to he's got guts? If so, why sue over an incorrect opinion? It sounds like this is what they believed, Winmar only had to come out and say no it was about me pointing to my Black skin in defiance of racism.
They didn't racially vilify him, they just had an incorrect interpretation of what it was about. We laugh at American's ability to rush to lawyers to sue anyone about anything, this looks like exactly the same scenario.
Also, Mick mentioning that, among others, Michael O'Loughlin ringing him to counsel him. Did he also advise him how to pay out of court to avoid a criminal conviction?

Happy to be corrected but I didn’t think a civil case would give you a criminal conviction

Reproduced from an article in The Age: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...lved-but-more-to-be-done-20200703-p558sh.html

The settlement includes a six-figure pay-out which will be donated to an indigenous charity. Sheahan, Newman and Scott also signed an official apology and the two episodes in question about Winmar on their podcast will be removed. They will also make a formal apology on their next episode, although Sheahan this week apologised on air and quit his role.

Formal apology statement is below.

letter.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth, Saints tragic Bruce Eva said on 3aw a couple of weeks ago that at the time, some of Winmar's teammates definitely believed he said "guts"

people will say its racist to potentially have any doubt , but i cant see why it matters what was meant or said, doesn't change it to me

there's only so much sh*t friends can endure.

Yeah must suck having a mate always stay loyal , take you out on the boat, go on your show, help you get open mike guests

What a burden

Yeah must suck having a mate always stay loyal , take you out on the boat, go on your show, help you get open mike guests

What a burden
And sheahan, to me, seemed to bask in his ( Newman’s) aura,much like mcguire. Classic name dropper as well sheahan....” do you want me to ring him ?” Or “ I can get him here in 10 minutes“ w***er.

Tomorrow's episode is going to be very interesting to see if they get a replacement or go with Sam and Don. Such a shame Mike called it. If they don't go with a replacement, I wouldn't be against them just doing interviews weekly and not having Part 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back