Autopsy Swans v Tigers discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the prettiest game of football to watch, but we were in the game with two minutes or so to go. We take a couple of our chances and everyone would be lauding Longmire for a masterclass.

We did the best with the cards we were dealt with. We have players horribly out of form, youngsters still adjusting to the AFL and an injury crisis I really haven't seen at this club before. Plus, we lose our best player early in the piece and have Heeney clearly hampered for the whole game. We had Fox battling well above his weight division against Lynch and won comfortably. Hardwick is sour because his team couldn't perform how they wanted to and he was outcoached by his opponent.

I've been fairly critical of Horse's negative tactics in the past, but for yesterday's game, it was the perfect setup. We just couldn't take advantage of our opportunities.

There are a few on here who contribute much else but slag off players, selectors, staff and coaches from behind their keyboards. They seem to know f_all about the game and likely have never played it. My advice is to ignore them.

I dictate all my criticisms

Mostly I enjoy the Board and different perspectives we bring. Mostly it is good humoured and often full of interesting insights. Outside Buds contract and overbearing Horse fan, Tedeski offers a lot. Mr The King! Outside game day offers lots.

Both are very different posters but the Board would be less for their absence.

If some folk are getting under your skin, use the Ignore button.

I only have the Squaddie on permanent ignore.

Compared to other Boards, ours rarely has monumental melts. We are lucky.

This is self indulgent but I didn’t take it down this track

this board loves to sit and analyse how everyone chooses to support the club

it wouldn’t make a difference to me if everyone puts me on ignore , feel free , I won’t lose any sleep

Ah well I respectfully disagree as the siege took place in our forward half, not Sydney's. Hardwick has rarely employed so much as a tagger in ten years.

We only play Sydney once and if you're happy to watch that style of footy most weeks, I'm not stopping you!
We had double the tackles inside 50s and more tackles. This was the first time this year that we've played like this and imo is a massive over correction from last week.

Also if you want to talk about style of footy, you guys have kicked under 40 points 3 times to our 2, and if you want to include our 46 against WC, both teams sit a 3. I don't really know what moral high ground you have with a team that has 2 of the best forwards, the best mid, and a damn good backline to be scoring as badly as us.

Ah well I respectfully disagree as the siege took place in our forward half, not Sydney's. Hardwick has rarely employed so much as a tagger in ten years.

We only play Sydney once and if you're happy to watch that style of footy most weeks, I'm not stopping you!

Hi Ron TB

Thanks for dropping by to stir up a few!:thumbsu:
You must be proud of your sooky mob - reigning premiers both AFL and VFL 'n all .
Now if Mills didn't back thru and make it obvious Lynch wouldn't have kicked that first gift. The AFL have changed the rules so much I dunno their current "this week" rule either:$ But you must be stoked that Lynch managed to hit the post with another from 25 dead in front.
Delightful team to watch:thumbsu:, endure and enjoy, and hope it doesn't rain in QLD!

Mrs Hardwick was just deflecting from the insipid performance of his disinterested lethargic side.
He knew he would get away with the cliche - blaming Swans flooding.

Whilst the tuggers sooks woke up in QLD albeit likely missing their cuddly toys, Swans were up at 6am for 7am meet at club SCG, bused to airport, landed Gold Coast then bused to Brisbane. Not an ideal preparation, even for a seconds scratch match.

Tuggers ought have far more to worry about than Swans.
That is, if they were fair dinkum , but they were /are only just going thru the motions.

The mass charge and push it forward at all costs midfield thrust style , has been worked out.
You will get to see that every week!

You cum back anytime , you is funny!
Cheers

Last edited:
Mostly I enjoy the Board and different perspectives we bring. Mostly it is good humoured and often full of interesting insights. Outside Buds contract and overbearing Horse fan, Tedeski offers a lot. Mr The King! Outside game day offers lots.

Both are very different posters but the Board would be less for their absence.

If some folk are getting under your skin, use the Ignore button.

I only have the Squaddie on permanent ignore.

Compared to other Boards, ours rarely has monumental melts. We are lucky.

All calmed down now. When JPK went down & we were down & out II said to my boys watching the game with me that hopefully it might make some of the younger boys step it up & grow up. I think they did & the main reason it was a scrap is because it was wet, but Hardwick's gamestyle has always been to rush it forward no matter how & then the small forwards would take care of the rest. The problem was that Dusty was a non attendee for this match because he was outpointed & didn't want to know about it & should have been penalised a number of times for his petulance.

Again I repeat that we could have pinched this game no matter whatever blame comes our way. Two teams were out there & so I ask, why didn't Richmond "open the game up"? I noticed us go man on man often, good old fashioned footy. Hardwick is dependant on us not following our opponents down the ground & keeping someone forward but we had a very mobile & small forward line who also were required to run both ways up & down the ground to help out defensively. We did it well but it's just that both teams fumbled a lot due to conditions but hey, we are the Sydney swans & we've always been the ugly football team apparently.
Suck a big fat one Hardwick you sook!

I'm always defending him but his kicking is just so bad.. As Dwayne Russell says if you can't kick you can't play unfortunately.

Yeah hands for feet and feet for hands ...it’s so frustrating bc he has so much else going for him (attitude, endurance, toughness, size, age profile)

I think it's disrespectful. Although nobody was mentioned by name, there's a brotherhood among the coaches and it's not generally the done thing.

From Hardwick's perspective, he has a struggling team with a stack of inexperienced players (10 under 50 games, Sydney 9) which looked to be running into some form and confidence early in the match before it turned to sh*t. He's speaking out of concern for his team rather than the spectacle. Speaking out of frustration.

Not sure what the developing Sydney players get from yesterday's game. Hardwick took a young team to the SCG at the end of 2016 and got embarrassed, but it didn't harm them or him in the long run.

And Horse didn’t take any potshots at him R23 2016 or ever as far as I recall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's just it, we do! Sydney and Melbourne are bottom four material.

Well if Sydney got one KPF and some sort of ruckman back for a while , there is a chance Swans could break out of bottom 2, before the season is cancelled?.
Thank goodness for the Crows.

I was only stirring. Richmond's mind and heart is not in it . Many teams are just a travelling circus trying to keep the wolf from the AFL's door.
The 10 metre chip kicks are just going thru the motions to collect contracted half pay

Perhaps Port Carlton Lions Essendon maybe GCS would be silly enough to want to win an asterisk final in Alice Springs.

Wait for the real whinging to start when Colliwobbles and Great Scotts Cats are locked up in WA. That is a boring place to be, in normal 'good' times!

Regular Infraction
I was only stirring. Richmond's mind and heart is not in it .

They were switched on at the start and were robbed of a chance to run into some form and confidence.

Anyway I made my point - respectfully enough I thought - but people are getting antsy and I don't want to start throwing spears. Toodooloo!

I like McInerney but I have no issue with Clarke. He constantly attacked the ball and won it. His effot was there but he had some sh*t disposals. Confidence could fix that. Gray's in a tough position. He was recruited to replace Papley. Now, without a tall or two to cause some spillage, there simply aren't enough crumbs to feed our small forwards. Stoddart was a bit lost but I'd prefer to see him get a few weeks to prove himself.

If we weren't struggling to fill every position we could try Blakey elsewhere but with Heeney out we need a forward. Let's hope McCartin and Brand can come back in. Reid must be close too and maybe Aliir to come back in.

It's pretty hard for inexperienced players to shine when they're thrust into responsibility without the support of senior players around them. Some of our younger players are dropping off in form because they're having to carry so much more. It's easier to defend when you've got 4 or 5 strong defenders around you. It's easier to play midfield when you have a few gorillas by your side. It's easier to look good if you have teammates shepherding, putting on blocks or putting pressure on the opposition. It's easier if you can bang it forward knowing your teammates can beat their opponents. It's easier to snag a goal when you have big blokes crashing packs and keeping defenders busy.

What I'm saying is we're all probably judging our younger players a bit harshly. The fact that we're staying competitive and were within an umpire's dodgy free of last years premiers means we have plenty of upside when things get better.

Surely you are not suggesting that I am judging our younger players too harshly?

I am one of the staunchest advocates of this young group and will look like a goose if this rebuild doesn't work out but I'm prepared to hold the faith.

I will tolerate quiet games, I will tolerate them losing one on ones against bigger, more mature opponents. I will tolerate mistakes and poor decisions when under pressure. These are things I have been preaching patience with on a weekly basis with this young team.

What I will not tolerate is a lack of effort and work rate. Players standing to the side with their hands on their hips watching a contest instead of trying to impact it. Players jogging like it's a Sunday stroll as we try to run and carry. Players not bothering to run into space and present as a leading target. Players not willing to take the game on. Players allowing their direct opponent to charge ahead of them on the lead and take what amounts to an uncontested mark. Players cracking in for one effort, then thinking their job is done and backing away from the contest.

I really would implore you to re-watch this game and take note of just how often these examples occurred. Not just in young players, like Blakey, Dawson, Florent, Stoddart etc, but also in more experienced players, like Cunningham, Rampe, Hewett, Gray.

This is not to say this team deserve to be delisted and the coach sacked. But how hard we work to make things happen for ourselves is something we can control directly. It's amazing how good things can happen if you're willing to work hard for them, regardless of how young or inexperienced you are. (See: our first two goals yesterday and the work leading up to them.)

This is self indulgent but I didn’t take it down this track

this board loves to sit and analyse how everyone chooses to support the club

it wouldn’t make a difference to me if everyone puts me on ignore , feel free , I won’t lose any sleep
I could never put you on ignore, Kingy, it's your posts that put me sleep! ;)

Well, personally I wouldn't care if the swans finished last....need to throw off the hangers-on, both people & the marketing spin 'culture' crap. Also maybe AFL Headquarters pull their head out of their arse and realize and correct the damage done by Fitzpatricks revenge...let the media and bf punters put the boot in, the more the swans are written off the better imo...time for a spring clean and this is the season to do it.....the big worry is the financial position of the club

JPK 6 weeks, Heeney the season

Richmond are dog poo to watch. Great scheme but just crap knock on footy. You guys were as much to blame as we were for yesterday’s disgrace.

JPK 6 weeks, Heeney the season
kennedy should take the season after that....might be only a medial, but sounds like at the more severe end, which usually means the cruciate was stretched and opens the door to future injury...take the year off and join in the coaching panel...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back