Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I really did think he was kept on to mentor younger players in the SANFL, how wrong I was!
I was devastated when we re-signed him because there was no way he was staying in the SANFL all year.

He should have been delisted 4 ****ing years ago minimum

200 gamers

Mackay
Gibbs
Sloane
Walker (5 to go)
Talia (7 to go)

150 gamers

Smith
Brown
Laird
Lynch (10 to go)

100 gamers

M Crouch
Hartigan
Atkins

50-99

B Crouch
Kelly
Milera
Seedsman

That's our experience. A lot of them are close to the end (Mackay, Gibbs, Walker), have question marks over staying (Crouches, Laird) or not quite up to it (Hartigan, Atkins, Kelly).

14 are named in the squad this week, just Sloane and Milera out with injury.

Then we have 17 players under 40 games. 11 of those are in single digits. 8 yet to debut.

Not saying anything new, but selection is moronic. It's just more of the same shit that got us here. I'd say that anyone wanting aggressive list management at season's end will be sorely disappointed. They are clearly going to cling on to the players listed above for dear life. I could even see us giving Mackay another 1 year deal.

"Then we have 17 players under 40 games. 11 of those are in single digits. 8 yet to debut."

Might want to check your maths there

The 8 yet to debut are in addition to the 17 with under 40. 25 players with 1-40 games and we'll be hitting the draft hard again this year.

There will be some mistakes in that list, I just did it quickly and have more important things to do. Paints the picture though. Half the list is on the way out, the other half is raw, and we still want to pump games into the older players - in a weird, compromised season where we are winless. Madness.

200 gamers

Mackay
Gibbs
Sloane
Walker (5 to go)
Talia (7 to go)

150 gamers

Smith
Brown
Laird
Lynch (10 to go)

100 gamers

M Crouch
Hartigan
Atkins

50-99

B Crouch
Kelly
Milera
Seedsman

That's our experience. A lot of them are close to the end (Mackay, Gibbs, Walker), have question marks over staying (Crouches, Laird) or not quite up to it (Hartigan, Atkins, Kelly).

14 are named in the squad this week, just Sloane and Milera out with injury.

Then we have 17 players under 40 games. 11 of those are in single digits. 8 yet to debut.

Not saying anything new, but selection is moronic. It's just more of the same sh*t that got us here. I'd say that anyone wanting aggressive list management at season's end will be sorely disappointed. They are clearly going to cling on to the players listed above for dear life. I could even see us giving Mackay another 1 year deal.
We'll recruit some Sam Gibson equivalents to boost our experience

We'll recruit some Sam Gibson equivalents to boost our experience
Probably, and that may be ok, in fact we probably need to. But you'd expect us to be getting more games into the young ones this year. Play some experience this year, fine, have to do it to an extent. Just balance it. Dont play them all in the one side. Especially when they're out of form. There's just no method to what we are doing. They are just prolonging the pain.

Keath had a blinder last night
Really? I didn't watch it so just looking at stats, it doesn't look like a 'blinder'. He looked liked he kept his opponent well held (Day and King only 4 touches), but didn't seem to offer much offensively...again, just from the stats. Note Max King only had 4 touches last week too and Membry had 7 on Hartigan

7 kicks, 6 HB, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 1 free against
Q1: 2HB, 1 tackle
Q2: 2 kicks, 1 HB, 2 marks
Q3: 2 kicks, 2 HB
Q4: 2 kicks, 1 HB, 1 tackle

Probably, and that may be ok, in fact we probably need to. But you'd expect us to be getting more games into the young ones this year. Play some experience this year, fine, have to do it to an extent. Just balance it. Dont play them all in the one side. Especially when they're out of form. There's just no method to what we are doing. They are just prolonging the pain.
That seems to be what we are doing.

I think we have a decent balance at the moment, though would love to see one more mid for DMac

The 8 yet to debut are in addition to the 17 with under 40. 25 players with 1-40 games and we'll be hitting the draft hard again this year.

There will be some mistakes in that list, I just did it quickly and have more important things to do. Paints the picture though. Half the list is on the way out, the other half is raw, and we still want to pump games into the older players - in a weird, compromised season where we are winless. Madness.
OK, maybe it was your terminology.

I read it as 17 under 40 games including 11 (<10 games) and 8 yet to debut, which would be 19. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theo Doropoulos reporting that Ned McHenry and Jake Kelly with some injury concerns out of training today, Ned left the track after getting physio. Hope it's not more back problems

That seems to be what we are doing.

I think we have a decent balance at the moment, though would love to see one more mid for DMac
We are literally playing every senior player available regardless of form or if they have a future beyond this season, at the expense of getting games into those who badly need it.

Looking forward to another 10 weeks of Murphy spudding it up
You could try hoping it comes together for him... He's still only 21 years old.

Trying to take some positives out of this week's selection, it's tough but really like the look of the back 6 going forward. Add in Mcpherson and it's a good blend of Attack and defense as long as we leave Kelly and Hartigan out of there which is highly unlikely. Curious to see if Hartigan can at least create a contest on our down the line kicks if he does play forward, but then not sure why he's playing over Frampton or Strachan if that's the case.

We are literally playing every senior player available regardless of form or if they have a future beyond this season, at the expense of getting games into those who badly need it.
Our senior players this year:

McKay - 2 games
Hartigan - 3 games
Gibbs - 1 game
Seed - 4 games
Mouch - 6 games

You can hardly say we have given them the Don Pyke treatment

Jones - 7 games
McHenry - 6 games
Fog - 3 games (out of possible 3)
Stengle - 3 games (out of a possible 3)
McPherson - 2 games