Round 8 Trades (Get Gawn or GTFO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had to get McPherson in with hill out and went Pitto to Treloar with the other trade hope he keeps his form up.

Hill or Starc are definitely going for Stewart next week.

He was always a must have. He’s been in the top 3 SuperCoach scorers for the past three years running. You just tried to find an excuse not to spend the coin. (Which is fine, it just backfired)
He's been what?
Gawn was the 2nd best scorer in 2019, 5th best in 2018 and only 291st best in 2017.
I wasn't "trying to find an excuse not to spend the coin". I based the decision on the sound reasoning I gave in my post. All of which was true and accurate. You seem to have based your opinion of him being a "must have" at the start of the season on what is at best a faulty memory.

tumblr_ma2584MqAT1ryatpyo1_r1_400.gif
Yeah, can't pretend it's 4D chess I'm playing, just liked the overall gain more grabbing upcoming targets over the next couple of weeks, seemed more efficient * on paper *.
Obvious drawback C-wise if he keeps it up, will see soon enough.
Big chance Max scores very well this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been what?
Gawn was the 2nd best scorer in 2019, 5th best in 2018 and only 291st best in 2017.
I wasn't "trying to find an excuse not to spend the coin". I based the decision on the sound reasoning I gave in my post. All of which was true and accurate. You seem to have based your opinion of him being a "must have" at the start of the season on what is at best a faulty memory.
Quite right. 2017 was the year he missed half the year. I thought that was 2016.

I based him as a must have as there are only three players to average 120 for the past two years straight (I thought it was three).

He's been what?

Nah, Gawn 1st picked, every year.

Quite right. 2017 was the year he missed half the year. I thought that was 2016.
I based him as a must have as there are only three players to average 120 for the past two years straight (I thought it was three).
Yes he has been one of very few players to average 120+ in the past 2 years and that makes him a great pick. But the point of my original post was that, for the valid reasons I gave, it was not "stupid" to start without him as Nelso claimed.

For the record he had the 2nd best average in 2019 (128.38) and the 4th best average in 2018 (124.72)
The player with the best average in both those years was Grundy (130.92 and 130.42)
Hard to see how Gawn is the automatically "first picked" and not Grundy given those scores.

We're all Melbourne supporters and we all love the big fella, but our bias toward him doesn't change the facts. He's a great player and a wonderful SC selection, but what I said in my original post is still correct. He was under an injury cloud preseason and that was later confirmed by his poor performance in round 1. Post byes last season he averaged 127 which was much the same as Goldstein's post byes average of 128 but Goldstein was almost $100k cheaper. Under those circumstances it was not "stupid" to start with Grundy and the better value Goldstein instead of including Gawn. He's gone to a new level since the restart and anyone who doesn't have him has to get him in pronto, but only hindsight says he was a must have at the start of the season.

He was legitimately first picked for me ahead of Grundy. Always thought Max had room to improve and the natural progression of midfielders like clarry and track would only help his HTO, but it was hard to see Grundy getting better than he played last year; he was epic.

Yes he has been one of very few players to average 120+ in the past 2 years and that makes him a great pick. But the point of my original post was that, for the valid reasons I gave, it was not "stupid" to start without him as Nelso claimed.

For the record he had the 2nd best average in 2019 (128.38) and the 4th best average in 2018 (124.72)
The player with the best average in both those years was Grundy (130.92 and 130.42)
Hard to see how Gawn is the automatically "first picked" and not Grundy given those scores.

We're all Melbourne supporters and we all love the big fella, but our bias toward him doesn't change the facts. He's a great player and a wonderful SC selection, but what I said in my original post is still correct. He was under an injury cloud preseason and that was later confirmed by his poor performance in round 1. Post byes last season he averaged 127 which was much the same as Goldstein's post byes average of 128 but Goldstein was almost $100k cheaper. Under those circumstances it was not "stupid" to start with Grundy and the better value Goldstein instead of including Gawn. He's gone to a new level since the restart and anyone who doesn't have him has to get him in pronto, but only hindsight says he was a must have at the start of the season.
He wasn’t under an injury cloud, he had a slight strain from memory and they said it would normally be a one maybe two week injury but weren’t going to take risks for preseason practice matches (fair enough). Round 1 was his first game with no match practice and they were playing after it had been announced they’d be no footy for the next few months. I can’t imagine what that did to psyche and mindset of the players. It was a lacklustre match at best, highlighted by the fact Jack Viney ran rampant for the first time in his career and scored 190 or something.

He wasn’t under an injury cloud, he had a slight strain from memory and they said it would normally be a one maybe two week injury but weren’t going to take risks for preseason practice matches (fair enough). Round 1 was his first game with no match practice and they were playing after it had been announced they’d be no footy for the next few months. I can’t imagine what that did to psyche and mindset of the players. It was a lacklustre match at best, highlighted by the fact Jack Viney ran rampant for the first time in his career and scored 190 or something.
That's an injury cloud. An injury that stops him training fully and makes him unavailable for practice matches resulting in him going into the season underdone. It's certainly a valid reason to have doubts about starting the season with an expensive player. The circumstances surrounding the first match don't change the fact that he scored and played poorly.

Anyway, as I've said several times now, I was only objecting to those who didn't start with Gawn being called "stupid" when there were perfectly sound reasons to go another way. You preferred to start with him and that's great. It all comes down to how we evaluate all the information at our disposal.

I think we've probably spent enough time arguing this point. Probably should let it lie and just enjoy Maxxy's double ton on Sunday.

That's an injury cloud. An injury that stops him training fully and makes him unavailable for practice matches resulting in him going into the season underdone. It's certainly a valid reason to have doubts about starting the season with an expensive player. The circumstances surrounding the first match don't change the fact that he scored and played poorly.

Anyway, as I've said several times now, I was only objecting to those who didn't start with Gawn being called "stupid" when there were perfectly sound reasons to go another way. You preferred to start with him and that's great. It all comes down to how we evaluate all the information at our disposal.

I think we've probably spent enough time arguing this point. Probably should let it lie and just enjoy Maxxy's double ton on Sunday.
WTF? We‘ve got more than two hours until the footy starts.

It was a nothing injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back