Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of forgot to do this. Here's his injury update from two days ago:

"Now has some really good early range of motion through that joint".

Rundle said the club was pleased with defender Conor McKenna’s recovery following his hand surgery last week.

“He got through (the game) remarkably well, considering he played three days post-surgery,” he said.

“The main concern for us was that he got through without any infection to his wound, and his wound looks fantastic. He now has some really good early range of motion through that joint so we’re happy with where he is at and he should train fully this week.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the biggest brain fades i have seen in a long time.
Cant help but wonder if the hand is worrying him if he is flykicking in D50 as opposed to taking clean possession.

Cant imagine it will look very good in the team review...

My 2c - I think he knows his days are numbered (voluntarily) and he'd be taking very much a "* it" approach, and doing what he likes.
Which is kind of the magic of McKenna.
And also the liability.

Enjoy the ride where possibly I suppose. I suspect we're seeing our last 10-25 games max of McKenna.

If what I've described above is correct, then playing him as a high half forward would make a lot of sense.
Still let him get up the ground so his run is still utilised.
He also wants to play there, so keep his moral up.
But the mistakes hopefully aren't so dire.

Fumbles all day. The hand still a problem.

But the real problem is being physically off the pace. Doesn’t look strong and cut like he did last year. I reckon he has a reputation for being quick to bounce back after a layoff and him and the team have taken for granted that he will perform. It’s understandable - but also not good enough. Ireland might be best unless he really wants it.

Started the game against Adelaide like he played last week, no confidence handling the ball. That seemed to be a mental more than a physical problem as he then worked his way into the game quite well before a couple of bad mistakes which I think posters are placing too much emphasis on.

He's not the sort of player who is going to start well following an extended lay-off, quarantine and then an inability to play a meaningful reserves match (that is useful preparation for an AFL match).

He should absolutely continue to play.

Mind elsewhere
..sore hand...one good play....whatever....send him home....play someone else who wants an AFL career.....had enough...

Jeez he was bad. Did seem like his hand was still troubling him. Lots of dropped marks and fumbles and my first thought when he had the howler soccer attempt was he didn’t want to use his hand.

Like, even ignoring the attempt to kick it out of the air thing, I want to talk about Adelaide's first goal (Stengle). He was ahead of Stengle, jogging to the front and square, Stengle attacked it and he didn't even realize it. Seriously, both of the goals in the first were because of braindead decisions that a 76 game player should not be making.

For me he was close to worst on for us. One good act that got us a goal and a minimum of three horrible decisions that cost us goals.

Like, even ignoring the attempt to kick it out of the air thing, I want to talk about Adelaide's first goal (Stengle). He was ahead of Stengle, jogging to the front and square, Stengle attacked it and he didn't even realize it. Seriously, both of the goals in the first were because of braindead decisions that a 76 game player should not be making.

For me he was close to worst on for us. One good act that got us a goal and a minimum of three horrible decisions that cost us goals.

Yeah that first Crows goal had me shouting at the tv way too early.

Close to career high clangers for Irish yesterday, willing to cut him a little slack if his hand is the cause of all this but if so he shouldn't be playing.

Annus horribilis so far for young Conor.

Yeah that first Crows goal had me shouting at the tv way too early.

Close to career high clangers for Irish yesterday, willing to cut him a little slack if his hand is the cause of all this but if so he shouldn't be playing.

Annus horribilis so far for young Conor.

I think we know what is happening, the team know he is in the best 22, and he is. Has had a horror 6-8 months and is every chance to head home (dont blame him). If we spell him and he doesn't play, hes definitely gone though so we bit the bullet and try and get him to find some form.
To be honest i dont mind it, if this is his last season id like to see him playing AFL for moments like he gave us yesterday (the run not the errors ;)) rather than rotting out of the team and playing scratch matches.
That is from an individual level though, if we were looking purely team we would need to start experimenting with how our lineup looks without him.

Its very worrying though, we have Him, Fanta, Daniher all possibly not here next year and Hooker and Hurley fast approaching the end. They are going to leave some holes in this team, which is why i dont think we are using this year well enough. I know you have to try and compete every year, but this would be the absolute best season to just explore the list, get them AFL exposure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back