Preview Geelong V West Coast Sat Aug 1 @ Optus Stadium 810 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

More info from scratch match vs Freo
I like this part on Kreuger in the ruck:

"Knowing that if he played AFL as a forward ruck he could possibly do that now."

Not great that Steven, Stephen, Cocky, Parsons was put to the sword by Freo's seconds midfield though

It’s that lack of touch that astounds me. Those skills should not deteriorate as badly as they have, considering he completed most of the pre-season.

Like you, I'm finding his lack of poise with the ball in hand more concerning than the clear lack of match fitness.

And given how short of a gallop he is, that is truly saying something.

Feels like participation ribbons all round. Evans one week, then Jarvis, now Stephens.

Emergencies get to be in the rooms and involved in the pregame preparations. I reckon they want to give each of them that experience because the rest of the players aren't allowed in this season I don't think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um you get fit by playing.
He's playing in the scratch matches against the reserves with less contact and less game time. Playing a game of AFL takes a far greater toll on the body in general and is far more degenerative, than non-contact training and running.

It's quite clear his capacity to run is not to AFL standard, and neither is his disposal currently, based off form

No change - either backing the fitness of the 22 or sitting on a sneaky change or two pre game.

I would have thought you’d want to bring in a mid player or two (Parsons and Stephens, perhaps), given a need for fresh legs after a slog 5 days ago. No change will make it immensely hard in second half tomorrow night. Could also enhance the risk of soft tissue injuries.

Like you, I'm finding his lack of poise with the ball in hand more concerning than the clear lack of match fitness.
And given how short of a gallop he is, that is truly saying something.
Yet you can see what he is trying to do sometimes, it's just that its not coming off. Tantalising stuff, but jury still out whether he will ever really get back in the groove. Confidence must be at a low ebb and I suspect that he is a big confidence player. Not sure what the solution is. Clearly cant put a line through him just yet but sailing close to the wind.

Cos there arent games to play during that time. Plus there are other ways to get fit without risking injury.

With selwood and ablett out you think we could use another senior midfielder.
We could, it's just a shame we don't have one at AFL standard available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back