Training Nakia Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see Nakia still heading in the right direction. We have an 8 day break between playing Port in Round 12 and Adelaide in Round 13. Starting Nakia off against Port followed by an 8 day break before facing Adelaide seems like a very sensible way to bring him back to the senior team. Failing that, starting him off in what is likely to be a soft kill against Adelaide seems like a must. Not expecting anything special when he comes in but he needs time to build into things if he is to have an influence late in the season.

People are ridiculously quick to jump on the he “must be re-injured” train.

Bloody hell give him a break. Looks to be building nicely. Few more practice matches and they will pull the trigger i reckon. Scott already said within a month a week ago. Getting closer.

I don’t understand the obsessive logic People here have he “must” be put into the senior side... why?? If hIs form is not warranting selection yet then he doesn’t come into the team.

players rarely spend that long out of the game and have immediate impacts when they return and a lot of people get quite disappointed.

let him build himself up and hit some form then bring him in... if that is not this season then so be it. If he stays injury free I am happy to give him a new contract alone based off that.

he doesn’t get an automatic game because his been out for so long injured.

He looks OK in the video.. although hard to gauge how he is going at that level , he seems to be going at cruise speed
What i did like to see is when he was heading into goal at clase range and he put on the jets for a few steps and then kicked the goal.
That exact action was what undid him in the BLues game those years ago when he did his hammy the second time.

I like to see players repeat and act that hurt them before and play through the result.

Good signs

GO Catters

That is the big worry. In a ones game, with that extra tension, will he give just a little more exertion on that first step and twang. I wonder if he has been given or will be given instructions to let it all hang out and see if they hold up before being selected.

TBH it looked like he had at least another gear there. That shift up is what worries me.
Can't keep him in cotton wool forever.
My view is we have invested an incredible level of time and patience in last 3 years. He has to play this year otherwise club should cut/trade.
Some players bodies just aren't durable to survive the demands of AFL. It happens.

I don’t understand the obsessive logic People here have he “must” be put into the senior side... why?? If hIs form is not warranting selection yet then he doesn’t come into the team.

players rarely spend that long out of the game and have immediate impacts when they return and a lot of people get quite disappointed.

let him build himself up and hit some form then bring him in... if that is not this season then so be it. If he stays injury free I am happy to give him a new contract alone based off that.

Agree with most of the post totally, but not sure on that. He’ll have had six years once this season is over. Not convinced he deserves a new contract.

Agree with most of the post totally, but not sure on that. He’ll have had six years once this season is over. Not convinced he deserves a new contract.

I think in Poker they call it Pot Committed .... what I dont want to see is we let him go for crumbs (our choice) and he goes on and plays 100 games somewhere else. If may at some stage say he wants out ... then it becomes a potential black eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What i did like to see is when he was heading into goal at clase range and he put on the jets for a few steps and then kicked the goal.
That exact action was what undid him in the BLues game those years ago when he did his hammy the second time.

I like to see players repeat and act that hurt them before and play through the result.

Good signs

GO Catters

I hope when NC play at the top level he still has the speed, he looks like he is doing it so easy in the scratch matches... I doubt he is really testing his body. I do notice he is mainly at the goal end of the ground ..so Id say my hope of seeing him deeper in d and just running straight is probably a forlorn hope.

I think in Poker they call it Pot Committed .... what I dont want to see is we let him go for crumbs (our choice) and he goes on and plays 100 games somewhere else. If may at some stage say he wants out ... then it becomes a potential black eye.

It's a balancing act for sure. How long do you keep throwing good money after bad?

There was one posted a few weeks ago where he goes flat stick, and leaves all the defenders in his dust. He’s fine.

I hope you are right.. I have not seen him go flat stick in any of the scratch match vision... but I feel it must be getting close to just play him.. Lets face it ..they played JS when his condition was short of ideal..

It's a balancing act for sure. How long do you keep throwing good money after bad?

IMO, Id say we have to keep going for a while yet. With any kid one drafts ..all one can ask for is upside. NC's upside is as high as anyone .."Potentially" ..

Its why I just want to get him into the side , get some K's on the clock , some games on the tally ..and then lets make choices based on more data.

Can't keep him in cotton wool forever.
My view is we have invested an incredible level of time and patience in last 3 years. He has to play this year otherwise club should cut/trade.
Some players bodies just aren't durable to survive the demands of AFL. It happens.

I admit its close ..but this is a poor year to be making that type of ultimate choice I feel. ...certainly hard choices are made each year

I would love to see him play this week to rest Close. Real X factor, will give you tackles (as much as Atkins) and can kick goals.

If he doesn't get selected when he is fit and ready to play ..after missing so much football ..do you think he will stay ? Id say someone else will natter in his ear and he will be gone. He needs to play if he fit and relatively soon ..this season with compressed games is disappearing quickly..

Fair enough and I imagine it’s a discussion held by those at the clubs that will have a lot of stakeholders involved in it including physio doctor coaches fitness staff so we can be rest assured it wasn’t made in vein the call on him

think it’s a bit of a unique situation because we are dealing with an obviously very supremely talented footballer the investment goes up a little to get him on the park compared to some others.

Given he has had essentially two years out of AFL football in the rehab room what do you see the expectation was this year? History shows that these sort of players rarely have much of an impact off such a long stint out of the game and are quite lackluster.

if he shows that he consistently played and trained for the entire season and has put his injury history behind him, would you like to see the club put forward a one year extension or make the chop?? I can see there are two sides to the coin here but personally If the doctors physios Fitness staff could sit down and convince Me as a hypothetical coach that he is over his injury history I would be happy to do so, if they were still uncertain and giving me indicators there are still lingering problems I would have to look hard at making the chop.. so for me (My hypothetical coaching hat) I would probably be in consultation quite extensively before making the call if he just gets through the season without injury.

what would be your hypothetical coaching hat point of view on the decision?

IMO, Id say we have to keep going for a while yet. With any kid one drafts ..all one can ask for is upside. NC's upside is as high as anyone .."Potentially" ..

Its why I just want to get him into the side , get some K's on the clock , some games on the tally ..and then lets make choices based on more data.

Trouble is, we simply haven't been able to get him into the side and put k's on the clock, because he keeps breaking down just running down the race ........

We've spent nigh on 6 years of our time, money and resources for virtually no return. 6 years.

Potential is such an intangible. It wkuld appear Cocky has some skill, but the scale and quality of it still remains unknown. We can't even get him on the field, let alone have him demonstrate it.

The clun is really doing no more than an exercise of faith. They believe he has enough skill to make the cost worthwhile, and the faith that they can physically repair him well enough to exercise that skill on tje field.

The evidence to support that faith is largely circumstancial.......... He's given brief glimpses of 'something' and that's about it.

He comes good they'll be lauded for their nous and patience, and fair enough.

But he breaks down again, or fails to produce with some regular game time and, well, they're going to look foolish.

That's an inherent risk when you invest in the vague concept of potential with nothing more certain than faith.

If he doesn't get selected when he is fit and ready to play ..after missing so much football ..do you think he will stay ? Id say someone else will natter in his ear and he will be gone. He needs to play if he fit and relatively soon ..this season with compressed games is disappearing quickly..

guess that’s another thing to consider given how cheap he would be the attraction from clubs would be high... much like a run down house you can flip for a large profit, the suiters will be knocking on the door for sure with their pick 50 to hand over to us and a smiths chip packet... I know alistair clarkson has mentioned him in the past as someone he would like to go after... and the idea of cockatoo putting on the jets in front of 100,000 at the MCG and burning some geelong players on eastern Monday for a long range goal is not a thought I like to imagine..

There is a lot to consider with this and like I posted before I can imagine there will be more opinions involved than just the coaches as to his future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back