Running/Fitness The Running Thread

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There is a perfect 2km loop around my block. Been doing 4x2kms with 4mins rest in between every Monday morning for about 8 weeks - as well as another pretty hard interval or fartlek session on Saturdays and then 2 easy sessions during the week plus gym twice a week. Had to build up to the 4x2kms because first week could only get 2x2kms and was wrecked. Times that day were 8m45 and 9mins.

First 2km is always 8m45 because thats about all my dog can do and I take him on the first loop (actually noticed he did it a bit easier today so he is getting fitter too). My next 3x2kms this morning were 8m, 8m05 and 7m55. Pretty happy with that especially considering it was also my hardest fartlek session to date on Saturday so legs weren't fresh.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There is a perfect 2km loop around my block. Been doing 4x2kms with 4mins rest in between every Monday morning for about 8 weeks - as well as another pretty hard interval or fartlek session on Saturdays and then 2 easy sessions during the week plus gym twice a week. Had to build up to the 4x2kms because first week could only get 2x2kms and was wrecked. Times that day were 8m45 and 9mins.

First 2km is always 8m45 because thats about all my dog can do and I take him on the first loop (actually noticed he did it a bit easier today so he is getting fitter too). My next 3x2kms this morning were 8m, 8m05 and 7m55. Pretty happy with that especially considering it was also my hardest fartlek session to date on Saturday so legs weren't fresh.
Did my hamstring about a week after this and only back running 2 weeks ago. Going to be at least a month probably longer until I'm back to this level grrr :(

I have no idea what's going on with this, but if I run steady state my calves tighten up and last longish run I went for (Boxing day) I ended up with a strain.

I can however run at higher intensity without injury. Did a repeats session this morning, no injury. I guess it's efficient as it doesn't take much time to really feel it but it does seem like a strange one.

I have no idea what's going on with this, but if I run steady state my calves tighten up and last longish run I went for (Boxing day) I ended up with a strain.

I can however run at higher intensity without injury. Did a repeats session this morning, no injury. I guess it's efficient as it doesn't take much time to really feel it but it does seem like a strange one.
Could be a technique thing? I heel strike so my calves are always pretty tight.. but it doesn't really impact me.. probably cos i am slow

maybe when you go for a long run (depending on how long it is i guess) the repetative nature impacts you, maybe when you do interval stuff you run on your toes more or something?

Could be a technique thing? I heel strike so my calves are always pretty tight.. but it doesn't really impact me.. probably cos i am slow

maybe when you go for a long run (depending on how long it is i guess) the repetative nature impacts you, maybe when you do interval stuff you run on your toes more or something?
I switched to forefoot striking many years ago, had to because of knee tendonitis.

My stride is definitely longer when I pick up the pace so there is that technique change to consider. I'm just glad to be able to get out and run without copping injury at the moment, whatever form that takes.

I switched to forefoot striking many years ago, had to because of knee tendonitis.

My stride is definitely longer when I pick up the pace so there is that technique change to consider. I'm just glad to be able to get out and run without copping injury at the moment, whatever form that takes.
I have no idea how to even switch, i got the running bug a while back to the point i now have a coach set me a program each week... and he has mentioned i need to work on not being a heel striker.. but it is hard to actually get time with him one on one... especially at the moment, so i have no idea how you go about changing your technique. Obviously it requires re-learning something you have been doing without realising forever and a day.

I am really glad i can just get out and run at the moment as well, no niggles (touch wood) no issues and just getting out and doing it.. knowing as well if i am a bit tight or sore i can hold back or miss a run if need be as there are no events or races upcoming to prepare for... Mentally it is absolutely been huge for me though, I would blow up without the release

WowWeee

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've always been a good sprinter but totally suck at long distance, however since I've been working from home for the past 8 weeks and the lack of weekday sports (netball, futsal & vball) due to covid, I decided to give running a go to keep myself somewhat fit.

Today I'd thought I would do a 5km time trial. Based on my iwatch I noticed that my average rate was at 191 - according to google calculations (LOL yea I know) my hear rate is approx 192.

Can any experience runners/trainers let me know if this is dangerous, or its perfectly normal given it was as speed run?

For what its worth my 5km stats were;
- Total time: 24 mins 21 second
- Avg pace: 4'52/km
- Max heart rate - 197
- Avg heart rate - 191

I've always been a good sprinter but totally suck at long distance, however since I've been working from home for the past 8 weeks and the lack of weekday sports (netball, futsal & vball) due to covid, I decided to give running a go to keep myself somewhat fit.

Today I'd thought I would do a 5km time trial. Based on my iwatch I noticed that my average rate was at 191 - according to google calculations (LOL yea I know) my hear rate is approx 192.

Can any experience runners/trainers let me know if this is dangerous, or its perfectly normal given it was as speed run?

- Max heart rate - 197
- Avg heart rate - 191
I'd guess that your watch isn't accurate, wrist HRs apparently aren't that accurate anyway.. But that seems seriously high.. I often do intervals and 5 min or KM reps where I try hold my top pace (which isn't quick) as long as I can and my HR seems to get to 175ish tops... Then on a run with intervals the ave always is around 140-150

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC

- Max heart rate - 197
- Avg heart rate - 191
seems high, maybe you have the covid :eek:

given that you "totally suck at long distance" i don't think its that remarkable. if you keep going your aerobic fitness will improve and you wont be able get near 191 BPM without running so hard that you collapse and vomit.

also yeah, wrist based optical HRM's are notoriously flakey so it could just be that the numbers are wrong.

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

- Max heart rate - 197
- Avg heart rate - 191

Has to be incorrect! I'm a fat campaigner right now but when I'm doing 3km I'll peak around 190bpm and avg 167bpm. Max hr 195

I tried running with a heart rate monitor that would beep an alert above 175, I had to stop using it as my HR was constantly above that even on a middle distance run ~5km. I can't tell you whether it is good or bad, but it seems pretty common from other runners I've known.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

- Max heart rate - 197
- Avg heart rate - 191
That's about the speed I run at for only 2kms, would probably die keeping it up for 5.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

you're not having enough sex. that's always been my explanation for such injuries and i'm sticking with it.

you're not having enough sex. that's always been my explanation for such injuries and i'm sticking with it.
Well, I've never seen a priest in the olympics. Story checks out.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

- Max heart rate - 197
- Avg heart rate - 191
Max heart would be acceptable but Avg heart rate clearly suggests it isn't working properly. You wouldn't be able to maintain your heart rate that high for that long being unfit.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Never been a good runner but made a goal at the start of pre-season to improve my 2km time trial. At the start of pre-season (November 2019) I got 10:23 and was running regularly until the season got cancelled. Tested myself at the end of May and got 8:28 which I was wrapped about. Season got cancelled and took a month off and then tried to run a 2km and I got 10:18 and blew up. Back to square one. So for the last two weeks I've been running Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Sessions are normally structured like this:
Monday - 4 x 1km
Wednesday - 2 x 15min runs, 1x10min run
Friday- 4km run

I feel the 4 x 1kms really helped me last time to improve my times as I try to keep the 1kms under 5mins per km.

Any tips to improve 2km times? Should I just try running a 2km everyday?

Never been a good runner but made a goal at the start of pre-season to improve my 2km time trial. At the start of pre-season (November 2019) I got 10:23 and was running regularly until the season got cancelled. Tested myself at the end of May and got 8:28 which I was wrapped about. Season got cancelled and took a month off and then tried to run a 2km and I got 10:18 and blew up. Back to square one. So for the last two weeks I've been running Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Monday - 4 x 1km
Friday- 4km run

I feel the 4 x 1kms really helped me last time to improve my times as I try to keep the 1kms under 5mins per km.

Shorter distances at higher intensity will help, it's a little bit "AFL-like". Your program actually looks pretty good overall. You could add a couple of repeat 400s after one day's program, and a few repeat 100s after another.

Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Monday - 4 x 1km
Friday- 4km run

Long runs help. Build on your base level of aerobic capacity and you'll fly. That's best done through tempo runs and threshold runs to really start getting comfortable with being uncomfy.

If you have time - stretch the Friday run about a little longer. Doesn't need to be super fast, maybe at about 65% effort for 7 or 8km and try make your last kilometer quick.

You could also make your Mon/Wed runs on hills or grass which is a sure fire way improve quick.

Back