Preview Round 13 Changes : Hawks v Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe Patton ahead of Lewis because Mitch has been beyond hopeless this year and plays like he does not give a sh*t.

I have said it before and will say it again he is delist material. I hope to god I am wrong, but that is my opinion.

In 2018 Lewis took 1 week off then immediately hit the gym. Basically had two preseasons and worked hard all season during 2019 to get into the team. Didn’t drop his head when dropped and worked on deficiencies in his game to come back in the second half of the year. Those aren’t the actions of a player who doesn’t give a s**t.

This year he didn’t have a preseason due to his shoulder injury. He returns but can’t crack the side because Patton is there. He doesn’t have the VFL to build form and confidence. He’s forced into three months off with minimal training then forced to leave home and enter hubs (this impacts players differently). He’s only brought in because Patton is injured. Our delivery to the forwardline is diabolical and don’t suit his natural gamestyle of leading. Fitness/confidence issues contribute to two horrible performances. He’s dropped but doesn’t even have proper practice games to prove himself. Due to scheduling issues he’s probably played a grand total of 3 practice games since being dropped.

Lewis isn’t a lazy player. He cares. I would say circumstances have significantly impacted him. I agree he’s been disappointing but claiming he’s delist material based on this season is a stretch. I’d want to see him next year with a full preseason and some confidence.

Last edited:
I agree now. I was bullish early in season, but its pretty obvious he doesn't have it. Moore though, hard as a cats head, runs all day and kicks goals. Im staggered he's been overlooked again.
Absolutely would of brought him in. Maybe in place of hanrahan who had a good run of games this year and was horrible

I think it is pretty worthwhile looking at Howe, Cousins and Hanrahan. Playing Finn now before he is ready probably doesn't do him much good. Playing guys we need to make a decision on at the end of the year gives us some good information we can use to manage the list. If Finn was performing he would be in the side by now.

Players on the list not to play a game this year after this week (assuming the changes are correct):
Finn Maginness
Matthew Walker
Jacob Koschitzke
Dylan Moore
Jackson Ross
Emerson Jeka (R)
Harry Pepper (R)
Damon Greaves (R)
Will Golds (R) - injured

This isn't a very long list. Only 5 senior listed players on it and Finn is one. Can't say we haven't given chances to young players on the list. I think Finn is the only senior listed player not to get a game and hasn't been injured for some of the season. I'd expect Moore to get a game at some point unless we already have made a decision on him. Maybe Finn will come in for a game in the next few weeks.

Looks like your close to correct, that is the most horrid looking list to our future at this point of time since Schwab coached us and I think that statement is fair given Clarko has been the only coach since and we've never looked this threadbare during his time at the helm. With the exception of Maginness, not one bloke on that list is close to possibly being a chance based on draft position or any actual performance to get you excited (and the ones except for Will Day who have played are at best role players at this time nothing wrong with that, but the worst is getting token games as Clarko won't play kids he'd prefer to play the kid with 3 or 4 years development he wouldn't play b4... unlike he did when he first came to the club and that is a fundamental change with Clarko, when your top 4 it's hard to break no problem, when your bottom 4 you need to play kids or draft kids exactly like you built the team previously or you need to pay Wells? from Geelong to be your list manager because he's the only one who's achieved that result of competitiveness over time with an ageing fading squad) you could get three miracles think Bruest/Suckling/Sewell but in reality that is over a 20 year period. However our list looks shot.

Yes proper game time helps well most of our current seniors who are slow but fit are better suited to longer games or should I say real game time, but is that really enough? Unfortunately we don't know, I'm guessing Clarko will roll with it, but I'm not sure it's enough anymore, I have worries. I do struggle to know how the coaching committee can't see it.

In 2018 Lewis took 1 week off then immediately hit the gym. Basically had two preseasons and worked hard all season during 2019 to get into the team. Didn’t drop his head when dropped and worked on deficiencies in his game to come back in the second half of the year. Those aren’t the actions of a player who doesn’t give a sh*t.

This year he didn’t have a preseason due to his shoulder injury. He returns but can’t crack the side because Patton is there. He doesn’t have the VFL to build form and confidence. He’s forced into three months off with minimal training then forced to leave home and enter hubs (this impacts players differently). He’s only brought in because Patton is injured. Our delivery to the forward is diabolical and don’t suit his natural gamestyle of leading. Fitness/confidence issues contribute to two horrible performances. He’s dropped but doesn’t even have proper practice games to prove himself. Due to scheduling issues he’s probably played a grand total of 3 practice games since being dropped.

Lewis isn’t a lazy player. He cares. I would say circumstances have significantly impacted him. I agree he’s been disappointing but claiming he’s delist material based on this season is a stretch. I’d want to see him next year with a full preseason and some confidence.
This is some straight bs
His efforts this year were awful
Lack of confidence shouldn't be an excuse for lack of effort

Got some Intel that the west coast game has come up carnage.
Okay we know about Sicily.
Omera wrist
Mitchell shoulder again
Gunston back.

Add
Smith not expected back this week.

Things just went further south.
Geez Bumps you got four out of five outs correct so does that say the Mitchell will be playing with a bung shoulder after last week.

Reckon you might be right.
Some good Intel you got last Monday and shared.

# backslappingisgood

Morrison out for Scully.

No Dylan Moore

We have been decimated by injuries but far out, we've never had a better opportunity to see what our kids are made of and Clarko pulls this crap.

Horrible.
Yes, we should’ve sacrificed Finn, Moore, Walker and all of our kids to a 90pt mauling.

Would’ve been a sound way of really giving some of these younger heads the belief that they can make it at the level.

/sarcasm

I think the inclusions are reasonably well balanced and I think we should judge the opportunities given to the youngsters once the season has finished rather than going off your nut this week.

Good to see Hartley.

Very very pleased Cuz gets a run and I hope he is one who gets all remaining games this year and they throw him the keys to the car. He is a ball winner which we lack. Let him freewheel.

Howe is a favourite so no surprises there.

Patton a must to play every remaining game and find something.

Hanrahan has more tricks that a lot of our other youngsters. Was horrible early this year but has won a lot more ball after being dropped. We have made him earn his spot back so I am expecting to see a vastly improved application from him. He is still very raw so I am not sure why people have written him off already.

Scully gives us run in a side badly lacking it. As others have pointed out the cupboard is bare so pretty hard to overlook him despite his form being poor to average. The next option is simply too far off. Port are a super hard running side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering Clarko doesn't like to make changes, you'd have to have had a real nothing game, or have run to the wrong spots on the ground too many times, to be 'omitted' when there are 4 players out from injuries already.

Really the only axe that Clarko has swung was at two of our youngsters. Just lol, you couldn't make this up.

At least Patton is back in and Hartley gets a go. Hopefully they can show something.

Can only play blokes in form. Cuz and Hartley deserve a game. Howe needs another look too. Patton we must persist with.

No point bringing in the 6 youngest players on the list and getting reamed by 100. They'll learn nothing but a losers mentality.

Scully the only one I'm unhappy with. Mind you, Morison is just too vanilla for my liking.

Nash had to go.

Hopefully resting a few for the Dons game. The only one I really want to win in the run home.

Yes, we should’ve sacrificed Finn, Moore, Walker and all of our kids to a 90pt mauling.

Would’ve been a sound way of really giving some of these younger heads the belief that they can make it at the level.

/sarcasm

Or alternatively they could learn something from coming up against an actual good side? As if all the players don't know where the side is at anyway. They'd know better than all of us given they're the ones that are copping the hidings out on the field each week. The club could surely use the rest of the season as a learning experience for our next generation.

What have the old boys got to give any more?

Patton needs a string of games to see if there’s anything left there. His upside is still very decent. If he doesn’t show anything by the end of the year, then it’s maybe the Vickory solution...

I fully understand the frustration seeing the same names most people don’t rate on rotation but that’s just where we are at. We don’t have superstar kids ready to debut. If we did, they’d be forcing their way in on form over these same guys.

Part of reshaping the list is giving young guys (who are ready and deserve it) game time.

Another is giving those fringe blokes opportunities to show whether they stay or go at seasons end. Get the feeling Morrison and Nash are now in strife. Also get the feeling a very important fortnight beckons for Howe, Hanrahan and Cousins.

The named side doesn’t generate any excitement but that’s just where we are at. The list is no good

This is some straight bs
His efforts this year were awful
Lack of confidence shouldn't be an excuse for lack of effort

Where did I excuse his lack of effort? He deserved to be dropped and he was. My comment was based on the fact he's being talked up as delist material. His efforts this year were poor. His efforts last year were not. A player does not shift from hardworking to lazy in the space of one offseason.

How do you go about things when you're low on confidence? It's not always easy to have keep having a crack. It's easy to drop your head. It's even harder to do these things when real life circumstances are impacting you in a way that differs from person to person. I'm not saying he should be in the side, I'm saying I'm hopeful he'll improve with a fit body and some normalcy.

Drop more because lesson
More KIDS!!!

Not because GOOD! Because KID!

Who cares if training well???? MUST BE KID!

WHERE IS KID CLARKO???????

YOU PICK PLAYER who is 21? 21 is NOT KID!!!! Kid is 18 or 19

You hear me?????

18 is kid...find someone 18! NOW!

* you clarkson stubborn campaigner! I want see KID!!!

/sarcasm

Watched every game in 05' in Melbourne, never left til every player went up the race.

That Sacrificing of Buddy, Roughy and Lewis in those 90 point maulings wasn't the end of the world.
Probably because he persisted with them, then gave them a week off every 4 to 6 games for their body to recover.

Or alternatively they could learn something from coming up against an actual good side? As if all the players don't know where the side is at anyway. They'd know better than all of us given they're the ones that are copping the hidings out on the field each week. The club could surely use the rest of the season as a learning experience for our next generation.

What have the old boys got to give any more?
Experience, strength in the contest and knowledge of the plan, that’s what they’ve got to give.

if the side was picked how you wanted it to be, we’d be more of a basket case than we are now and we’d be handing games to kids just because of their age, rather than merit

As it stands we’ve just ripped out half of the core of the group and replaced it with blokes who are still trying to find their way in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back