Preview Geelong V Doggies Fri Aug 28 750 pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you could be right we will go into the finals with same side just maybe Kelly gone Steven in

There would definitely be a view that we are setting ourselves up for failure to not be more markedly different in personnel from last year. Mitigating against that perspective would be the following realities:

(1) Our PF team last year was missing Toma and Mitch Duncan, who are both having storming seasons.
(2) This year's incarnation features marked improvement from players like Guth and Mena, who have been part of the noticeable tailing off of our group below the upper echelon in big games in recent years.
(3) The game style has been tweaked to improve our ball retention and minimise scores against from turnover (Richmond's key weapon against any serious opponent).

On the basis of these 'differences', I wouldn't be greatly fearful of lining up in the finals with a team that is not too dissimilar to last year's PF 22 (given Toma and Mitch as 'ins'). For the reasons outlined above, I think we would be a fairly different proposition for this year's prospective opponents right away.

Leaked stories to the media about the crows camp, and was pretty much black listed.

Stanley takes the centre bounce and then goes forward. While blitz rucks around the ground. That’s what they did last week. Stanley managed to kick 2 goals which is a solid return. More than sav can manage atm.
I no want Sav.

As an opposition coach I'd double team Hawkins and put extreme physical pressure on Rohan and Miers,that's all possible without a genuine 2nd goal kicking forward.

If a teams is doing that then they're probably not getting much rebound from defence. Makes it a midfield battle which we'd be happy to have.

If we play tigers or eagles rekn 2 talls. ie Jenkins in. Atkins and close in until cocky and gaz ready. Having said all that we’ve got some really good players in the pipeline that other clubs would be envious of.

The Sav call was spot on. We kicked 41 goals in 3 games without Sav, including consecutive weeks of 14 goals against the Saints and Port who were 2nd and 1st on the ladder consecutively when we played them, and 100 in 10 games with him in the side.

Yes, the time has come to have a forward set up minus Ratagolea. I'm a little nervy going into finals knowing that Hawkins will now almost certainly be double teamed but what are the other options? Play either Jenkins or Kreuger? Maybe one will be looked at if this weekend doesn't go well.

Atkins has to be the luckiest guy in our team. Offers sfa aside from a few defensive efforts each game. Sorry, but you need to contribute more than that. Fogarty is good defensively and has the ability to get far more of the footy. Should be in in front of Atkins.

1 key forward and about 10 defenders in the side. Strange mix.

Scarlett may have had some influence in the selections today.

No Jenkins in this lineup means what for his future?
Well, we do have Scarlett and Enright as assistance coaches.

Reckon we'd love to see sides start to try and double-team Tommy...as if we haven't been training that scenario. Crowding up Hawkins Island will only free up picnic space for Miers and Rohan to go nuts.
Think this is true but it requires a bit more finesse on our part to score our goals.

At the moment our gameplan is kick it to him 1v1 and he wins. The double team requires an accurate kick to one of the smaller forwards in space who then has to run it into 50 and fire on goal, or alternatively find a shorter option inside 50 for a mark. I think the latter is the more difficult to execute time and again.

Time will tell. I love that we have a clear and defined path to goal and an option B if it's taken away though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blicavs will be required back against Richmond unless Henderson can go with Lynch. Lynch was too good for Taylor in last years' final.

Huuuuuuge game. Richmond winning puts them into 3rd spot, 38pts to our 36pts, % is meaningless against them as they had that draw. Eagles losing keeps them below us with same amount of games played now, their % is only 115 or so.

The dogs are going to be tough to beat tomorrow night, but it’s a job we must get done, happy it’s not played at bloody Marvel.

Did you watch the 2019 Prelim? It stacked up with no Hawkins to kick to and no Duncan to play that wing role you say doesn't work (how does that work?), as well as an injured guthrie who couldn't tag D. Martin in the 2nd half (who got off the chain in the 2nd half)
Am I going mad or are you mixing 2 finals there? I thought it was the 2017 final where Guthrie got injured in the 2nd half after he had kept Dusty quiet and then Dusty got off the leash and destroyed us

Yes, the time has come to have a forward set up minus Ratagolea. I'm a little nervy going into finals knowing that Hawkins will now almost certainly be double teamed but what are the other options? Play either Jenkins or Kreuger? Maybe one will be looked at if this weekend doesn't go well.

Atkins has to be the luckiest guy in our team. Offers sfa aside from a few defensive efforts each game. Sorry, but you need to contribute more than that. Fogarty is good defensively and has the ability to get far more of the footy. Should be in in front of Atkins.

Agree - and looking down the track a bit - because Rich are obviously the best team

Blokes like Atkins - Dallhouse Close - and even Parfitt ( who im not convinced about ) those type of players are absolute fodder against a side like Rich

Hopefully Ablett comes back in- that kicks one of those 4 out . Pity about Coccky because you need strong athletic players ( with a decent kick in them ) against the Tigers

You dont want a proliferation of blokes who are 5ft 10inc- aernt overly quick and can kick 45 metres max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back