Review Round 15, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great presser from Fages.
He actually opens the press conference himself, offers condolences to Bill Stephen’s family, thanks the Gabba curators, thanks the Lions fans, and acknowledges our Melbourne fans. Then opens it up to questions.

Everyones favorite uncle. Great coach. Wonderful ambassador for the club. He just gets it.

Great presser from Fages.
He actually opens the press conference himself, offers condolences to Bill Stephen’s family, thanks the Gabba curators, thanks the Lions fans, and acknowledges our Melbourne fans. Then opens it up to questions.

Everyones favorite uncle. Great coach. Wonderful ambassador for the club. He just gets it.

His handling of the questions about the Mitch non free was sublime.

I still don't see how Mitch "started it". Any other player and that's a free kick.
Almost any, Toby Greene would probably be fined for it.😉

Anyone still reckon we don’t have an issue with our last quarters?

I’ll take the win but we aren’t doing sh*t in the finals if the past month of footy is anything to go by. Our last four games we’ve been inaccurate, rarely score in the last quarter and just scrape past teams. Not since beating the Bombers have we had a convincing win.

But we are winning, we beat Collingwood, so they’re positives and it beats the crap out of where we were pre 2019.

Mate we clearly changed our entire game plan in the fourth to flood the backline and try and cover for the loss of Harris that left froggy on their 210cm tall mason cox. Maybe it didn't come across on TV but it was very clear live that the change in the fourth was a strategic change to a heavily defensive set-up. Yes it was frustrating but totally understandable under the circumstances, especially given we were two talls down

His handling of the questions about the Mitch non free was sublime.
He’s not the type of coach that will sook to the media post match.

Our best was so much better than their best. Daylight.

Great win considering the circumstances and you can't fault them for blowing up after a bit of a break, then straight into a game with no rotations. I think the boys will be better for it going into the finals though. Good run in those legs tonight.

Thought our second quarter showed why we can still win the premiership. Our first quarter the opposite. Third quarter was a good tussle and obviously by the fourth the rotations had got to us.

Also Kiddy Coleman is a jet. Could be a secret weapon come finals time.

Will be interesting to see what decisions get made at the selection table this week.

Two key position players to come out with a smaller player (McCarthy) to come back in. I feel as though they'll be loathed to change the two key forward + resting ruck/forward combination, but I don't think either of Ah Chee or Coleman deserve to be dropped.

Mate we clearly changed our entire game plan in the fourth to flood the backline and try and cover for the loss of Harris that left froggy on their 210cm tall mason cox. Maybe it didn't come across on TV but it was very clear live that the change in the fourth was a strategic change to a heavily defensive set-up. Yes it was frustrating but totally understandable under the circumstances, especially given we were two talls down
It was very clear on tv

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see what decisions get made at the selection table this week.

Two key position players to come out with a smaller player (McCarthy) to come back in. I feel as though they'll be loathed to change the two key forward + resting ruck/forward combination, but I don't think either of Ah Chee or Coleman deserve to be dropped.
The obvious changes would be Payne and McCarthy in, McStay plays as a ruck/forward given he has more body sense than Fullarton even if he is less dangerous on the run.

That win, while not dominant, was still a great win! For our defence to hold up like they did was excellent! Oscar is turning into an absolute jet!! Two players down for a half really evened things up! One of those two being Harris was like missing 2 players!! Proud of the boys tonight! That 2nd quarter was elite. Practice with these Close wins could be extremely vital come finals!!

I’d leave Linc out.

Probably Archie and Payne for Fullerton and Andrews

EhEhvf3VoAA1JER

Most recent sides to win a V/AFL game without kicking any goals in either the first or final quarter
2020 R15 - BRIS v COLL
2018 R13 - syd v wce
1994 R19 - bris v stk
1991 R17 - rich v ess
1989 R11 - rich v bris

@brisbanelions #AFLLionsPies

I reckon we need mcstay down back with no harris, bring in a skinner or perhaps even bundy or mccarthy to run a small forward line

Berry, Hipwood, McInerney, Starcevich, McCluggage the top 5 for me.

1- Berry was sensational.
2- Hipwood just gut runs and makes it to contests that you don't expect him to make it to, very rarely allows an intercept mark at the back, puts on great pressure for a big man as well... underrated around the ground.
3- Keidean Coleman showed some amazing glimpses, loved that crunching tackle on the wing right under where we were sitting, has great vision and calmness as well.
4- Fantastic win with 2 down on the bench.
5- Big O in my opinion lost nothing in comparison to Grundy, the O is getting better each week.

7- Why the hell wasn't that a free kick to Robbo after that charge in the back from Maynard, unfathomable decision by the umpires... I'd bet my left nut that if Robbo did the exact same thing to Pendlbury after a Magpies goal the decision would have been free kick.

Mate, I rekon our defence is clearly our biggest strength.
Absolutely agree. Birchall is clearly the slowest, but I wouldn’t say Lester, Gardiner, Starcevich or Answerth are that slow. Andrews is a massive loss, but we can patch something together. Our defence is not a “run and gun” rebound defence, but it doesn’t need to be. We move it out of defence with precision and look to get it into the right hands in the midfield and on the wings.

Nice to finally beat a team that have had our measure for the last few seasons. Even better to see how salty some of their fans are about our win. Their best isn't better than our best and as long as we kick straight (among a couple of other things like not taking our foot off the opposition's neck) we are a real chance to make the GF. While any team can beat any other, I think only the tigers and the cats are a true threat to us.

Back