Review Round 15, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Beating Collingwood is always good. It was a tough game and played at a high intensity, but slightly disappointing to not get a couple of more goals in the last. Moving on to next game against the Sun's. Go Lions.

The one really good thing about our last 4 wins is that the whole team has shown great composure and desperation when needed in the last 5 minutes.

They were never really going to beat us tonight but we still had to do many things right when they kept banging it in and we did.

That's an excellent sign.

The obvious changes would be Payne and McCarthy in, McStay plays as a ruck/forward given he has more body sense than Fullarton even if he is less dangerous on the run.

Yeah I agree. McStay had a pretty good leap as well, so should be relatively competitive in the ruck. I wonder if Fages and go will be happy with a slightly different forward line set-up given that last time when we lost McStay, we brought in a tall to replace him as well as having a back-up ruck instead of bringing in Coleman.

Hate to sound negative but we limped to a win coming off a bye against a currently average oppposition with a lot of their key players out, not sure what to make of that. I’m just waiting for boys to go up another gear but we seem to just get by with 4 points!
Usually we would be complaining or whining or s**t canning our players about a loss. Now we are trying to find negativity about a win against one of the teams we have not beaten for a while.This season is out of the norm by all extremes and in some part i can see where you are coming from re in one of my posts i posted, re disappointed we did not score a goal in the last quarter, BUT in this day and age of footy i will take a win against anyone ESPECIALLY collingwood. This win was so important tonight and i dont care how we got it but we got it and thats the most important thing.

I reckon we need mcstay down back with no harris, bring in a skinner or perhaps even bundy or mccarthy to run a small forward line

Surely we back in our structure? Payne in for Harris, Archie for Fullarton feels about right. McStay was poor in the first half and seemed to only improve when got moved to the ruck and then defence but both moves really only reactionary in game moves due to injury/personnel issues.

Really liked Ah Chee putting his body on the line late.

I remember our game against Port in 2018. It was one of Hodge’s first for us and despite coming home with a wet sail, we ended up losing by just under a goal. But he directed our tempo in the last few minutes; made us take a breath, be patient and look and wait for an opening and to have faith in ourselves to get the job done.

I think in the last month we’re seeing the benefits of Luke Hodge and his on ground teachings perhaps more than ever.

Berry, Hipwood, McInerney, Starcevich, McCluggage the top 5 for me.

1- Berry was sensational.
2- Hipwood just gut runs and makes it to contests that you don't expect him to make it to, very rarely allows an intercept mark at the back, puts on great pressure for a big man as well... underrated around the ground.
3- Keidean Coleman showed some amazing glimpses, loved that crunching tackle on the wing right under where we were sitting, has great vision and calmness as well.
4- Fantastic win with 2 down on the bench.
5- Big O in my opinion lost nothing in comparison to Grundy, the O is getting better each week.

7- Why the hell wasn't that a free kick to Robbo after that charge in the back from Maynard, unfathomable decision by the umpires... I'd bet my left nut that if Robbo did the exact same thing to Pendlbury after a Magpies goal the decision would have been free kick.
Rule 6: There is NO Rule 6!

😂🤣😂🤣

I honestly reckon considering the contetx of tonight’s game, that’s gotta be in the top five or so wins we’ve had in the last decade or so.

We took a huge step tonight. Overcame a big psychological hurdle, plus injuries, plus the umps.

and once again we won without even playing on our terms
once again we won ugly

This team has guts. So proud

Haven't read the thread but if the unanimous consensus isn't absolute pride, then I don't know what game I was watching.

What a gutsy, gritty backs-against-the-wall performance. The loss of Harris had the potential to scuttle the whole thing but the rally by both players and coach was fantastic.

The fourth quarter defensive adjustment was crucial. Neutralise Collingwood trying to steal a win they didn't deserve by neutralising their talls with whatever talls we had left which also relied on our smalls killing the ground ball contest in our defensive 50. Rich was heroic and committed.

Oscar was a warrior. Absolutely busting a gut in the ruck and then working hard to get to each wing to offer that bailout option again and again. He must be absolutely wrecked after that.

Starcevich... far ******* out he is developing into a star before our eyes at a rapid rate.

Berry's best game in ages. Phenomenal.

Coleman showed incredibly exciting potential on debut. His desire to involve himself as much in the play was fantastic.

Hippy's goals were handy but that desperate sprint and perfectly timed fist to neutralise that marking contest on the wing was massive.

What a gutsy win that required all hands on deck giving absolutely everything.

As an aside, Mason Cox is pure, concentrated flog. Who the * does this 211 centimetres of absolute mediocrity think he is with his little shush to the crowd? Go back to Pat McAfee's show and try to deceive some more naive Americans into thinking you are even semi-relevant in our competition. Tosser.

Yeah the boys! Not a match that will have much of a highlight reel but one of our more significant wins in recent times.

Pray for Harro.

Last edited:
Gee what a result.
I still find it funny that you can win 11 games and be a rubbish team. Seems like the boys will be quite busy in finals every team seems to want to play us, yet not many can beat us.
What a game by Oscar and I love how Noah is growing each week.

Haven't read the thread but if the unanimous consensus isn't absolute pride, then I don't know what game I was watching.

What a gutsy, gritty backs-against-the-wall performance. The loss of Harris had the potential to scuttle the whole thing but the rally by both players and coach was fantastic.

The fourth quarter defensive adjustment was crucial. Neutralise Collingwood trying to steal a win they didn't deserve by neutralising their talls with whatever talls we had left which also relied on our smalls killing the ground ball contest in our defensive 50. Rich was heroic and committed.

Oscar was a warrior. Absolutely busting a gut in the ruck and then working hard to get to each wing to offer that bailout option again and again. He must be absolutely wrecked after that.

Coleman showed incredibly exciting potential on debut. His desire to involve himself as much in the play was fantastic.

As an aside, Mason Cox is pure, concentrated flog. Who the fu** does this 211 centimetres of absolute mediocrity think he is with his little shush to the crowd? Go back to Pat McAfee's show and try to deceive some naive Americans again into thinking you are even semi-relevant in our competition. Tosser.

Yeah the boys. Not a match that will have much of a highlight real but one of our more significant wins in recent times.

Pray for Harro.

Good post but Berry's best game for ages? He was one of our best just last game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee what a result.
I still find it funny that you can win 11 games and be a rubbish team. Seems like the boys will be quite busy in finals every team seems to want to play us, yet not many can beat us.
What a game by Oscar and I love how Noah is growing each week.

Answerth the silent improver this year. Berry and Bailey blatantly barefaced improvers but Answerth's improvement, after what many felt was a strange absence from the team, has been pronounced.

Good post but Berry's best game for ages? He was one of our best just last game.

Fair call. He was really important tonight though... looked a lot lighter on his feet after the week's rest.

One thing I did appreciate that hasn't gotten much credit here was Charlie's game. He didnt get a goal but his work rate was way, way up. He even cracked in really well at the end of the 4th when he had to play an inside mid role because we were just stacking everyone back. If he hadn't had the bullshit free against inside fifty in the last he probably would have topped it off with a cracking goal. Really positive performance

Twitter reporting Birchall just said on the radio he has triggered a new deal for next year.
He needs to have a good think about whether it's time to hang the boots up.
You can't keep giving him games on past glory.

On-field reserves coach next year IMO. I just don't trust him in contests, and his kicking isn't good enough any more to compensate.

Only negative comment I am going to make tonight.

Starcevich... far ******* out he is developing into a star before our eyes at a rapid rate.

Hippy's goals were handy but that desperate sprint and perfectly timed fist to neutralise that marking contest on the wing was massive.

As an aside, Mason Cox is pure, concentrated flog. Who the fu** does this 211 centimetres of absolute mediocrity think he is with his little shush to the crowd? Go back to Pat McAfee's show and try to deceive some more naive Americans into thinking you are even semi-relevant in our competition. Tosser.

Yeah the boys! Not a match that will have much of a highlight real but one of our more significant wins in recent times.

Pray for Harro.
I rarely read your posts and think ‘yeah, I agree with that 100%’ but then we play the Wobbles and Mason Cox unites us all

McCarthy has to come in especially to help with M/F rotations because Neale ,Lyons and Berry are going to be a bit cooked having to come up again in 5 days. Couldn't possibly drop Ah Chee or Coleman so we have an interesting dilemma as to how we mix it up. Ah Chee can play anywhere really . Payne obviously comes in for Harris . I suppose McStay stays in his role but geeze.

Mate we clearly changed our entire game plan in the fourth to flood the backline and try and cover for the loss of Harris that left froggy on their 210cm tall mason cox. Maybe it didn't come across on TV but it was very clear live that the change in the fourth was a strategic change to a heavily defensive set-up. Yes it was frustrating but totally understandable under the circumstances, especially given we were two talls down
Perhaps if we adopted an offensive game plan we wouldn't have had to worry about our defensive deficiencies.

As it stands, from our last five games, our final quarters have netted us 4.8.32 to our opposition's 13.13.91. Irrespective of how many players we were down, I've simply stated our last quarters are as big a concern as is our goalkicking, which was marginally better tonight.

One thing I did appreciate that hasn't gotten much credit here was Charlie's game. He didnt get a goal but his work rate was way, way up. He even cracked in really well at the end of the 4th when he had to play an inside mid role because we were just stacking everyone back. If he hadn't had the bullshit free against inside fifty in the last he probably would have topped it off with a cracking goal. Really positive performance
Did time in the middle to help the rotations as well. Definitely agree.

Back