Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates pt3 - The Verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

9.54am
'There are no words': Families console one another, prosecutor sheds a tear as court room empties out
Family members of the victims are hugging.
Ciara's sister Denise has hugged Ms Barbagallo and thanked her. Ms Barbagallo is wiping away tears after seven months mounting the case against Edwards.
Denise has also hugged Police Commissioner Chris Dawson and thanked him for "all his hard work".
Ciara's father is consoling Sarah Spiers' mother Carol and has said, "There are no words".
Commissioner Dawson has shaken hands with the senior Macro Taskforce detectives.
The media has been asked to leave the courtroom. The families - brought together in the most tragic of circumstances over the past two decades, continue to console one another, particularly the Spiers'.

10.03am
Perth barrister predicts Edwards will never be released from jail
By Aja Styles
Prominent Perth barrister and Queens counsel Tom Percy, who has been following the trial, told 9 News that Justice Hall would consider the victims' impact statements about "if there should be any light at the end of the tunnel for Edwards" but he doubted any Attorney General would sign off on any parole.
He said while the family of Sarah Spiers may be bitterly disappointed at the lack of conviction in regards to their daughter because of the lack of forensic evidence, since her body has never been found, "in their heart of hearts they knew ... that they might have been up against it."
Both sides have 21 days to appeal the conviction if they see grounds, Mr Percy said.

10.11am
The 'psychopath' hidden within a seemingly ordinary man
Ordinary. A devoted step-dad. A loyal employee. These are the words used to describe Claremont killer Bradley Edwards shortly after his shock arrest in 2016.
A courtroom sketch of he killer, Bradley Robert Edwards.

A courtroom sketch of he killer, Bradley Robert Edwards.
The 51-year-old Telstra technician lived a seemingly uneventful life in suburban Perth with his wife and step-daughter. He regularly volunteered in his community, played masters football and was an avid West Coast Eagles fan.
But underneath the 'family man' facade was a sexual predator who kept his depraved desire to rape and murder young women hidden from those closest to him for decades – a trait criminologist Aaron Sell said is common in organised serial killers.
"There's no reason a serial killer can't act like every other person when they're not trying to kill someone," he said.

I'm still reasonably certain that BRE very likely killed Sarah Spiers too.

The timing of BRE getting turned down by his 1st wife earlier on the evening of Sarah's disappearance, is still the strongest circumstantial evidence for me on this.

Justice Hall is reported to have said today
"The propensity evidence makes it more likely that Edwards was the killer of Ms Spiers, but it cannot prove it beyond reasonable doubt."

Last edited:
Damn that would be shattering for her family even though he most certainly killed her, there was no evidence at all that could satisfy a judge that he was involved legally speaking.
Sad thing is unless BRE has a change of heart and admits to it, it will forever go down as an unsolved case.

I think the result was what we all expected. As sad as it is for the Spiers family, It’s not over for them. I honestly hope this scum bag mans up and tells investigators where Sarah is. Give them so closure.
I would doubt it, but you just never know. He backflipped on KK and Huntingdale. They can also apply measures of pressure on him in prison - conditions, privileges etc.

I also think there could one day be a breakthrough externally. I doubt people will stop looking for her remains. I doubt police will just let it go.

I totally agree it is not over. I hope in the meantime that the judge’s comments and the knowledge that has been gained from the investigation and trial give them a sense of closure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legal guys what’s the psych report for? And what impact does it have on sentencing ?
All in all I’m very happy... sad for Spiers family however they can collective say justice is done!
Unless there is something hidden then it's a dotting the I's exercise

One must have all avenues of appeal opened or closed and this is part of it

I'm still reasonably certain that BRE very likely killed Sarah Spiers too.

The timing of BRE getting turned down by his 1st wife earlier on the evening of Sarah's disappearance, is still the strongest circumstantial evidence for me on this.

Justice Hall is reported to have said today
It’s still possible that he’ll confess. Or he’ll confide to someone inside.

Legal guys what’s the psych report for? And what impact does it have on sentencing ?
All in all I’m very happy... sad for Spiers family however they can collective say justice is done!
It’s to ascertain if there are any underlying mental health conditions (that may or may not have impacted behaviour); impact of prison; mitigating or not mitigating psychology (eg remorse or lack thereof). In BRE’s case it will most likely just be a formality, if he even participates. You aren’t a serial killer without serious personality defects in the first place, and given his interview to the police in which he lied and was (apparently) cold and calculating I don’t see any expressions of remorse being forthcoming.

A verdict that most spotted a long time ago. Shelley's voting poll was correct, in that the majority picked guilty on 2 and not enough evidence to convict on SS. I am so terribly sad for all of the girls families as it is cold comfort for them. I hope the Spiers realise that our hearts are broken for them and that we are praying that by some miracle they will have a resolution. I hope there is no appeal and that BE when realising that he is never getting out will tell all for the sake of the families. It would be miraculous but you can believe miracles do happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back