Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumbbell rolled into the ******* pool

downward-bicep-curls_orig.gif

hmm... I'd have thought you could set it up like a wall-sit sort of thing, except it's a seat instead of a wall and just have some plates on your knees and raise your ankles while balancing the plates on the end of your legs. Granted, I don't have any weight plates to give this a try to know how annoying it'd be, but doesn't seem like a difficult thing to setup.

Last edited:
hmm... I'd have thought you could set it up like a wall-sit sort of thing, except it's a seat instead of a wall and just have some plates on your knees and raise your ankles while balancing the plates on the end of your legs. Granted, I don't have any weight plates to give this a try to know how annoying it'd be, but doesn't seem like the a difficult thing to setup.
Yeah, the issue is getting enough weight on the knees comfortably.

less about cushioning and more about physically being able to get >100 kilos onto your legs.
we used to do it with 50s at my old gym (before they got a machine) and it was doable with a training partner or 2 but still a bit of a PITA

Seated calves in the home gym.
Yeah I've tried heavy dumbbells and heavy kettlebells on my thighs with a plate under my feet for a bit of elevation, it just ain't the same, have to go really high reps to feel anything, but at least I eventually get a burn, 25-30 reps in.

I've actually noticed (never realised even though I've done the exercise for years), that the seats rock up and down on a commercial calf raise with your range of motion, means the pressure of the weight you use never really changes imo as we're locked in rocking away.

It's a hard muscle to hit the soleus compared to the gastrocnemius. Building my home gym, I'm not a fan of buying equipment with only 1 real purpose, but a seated calf raise could be an exception considering how hard it is to hit the soleus effectively, but also calf raises aren't too expensive and are only about the size of a bench so won't take up much space. ATX ones at Sam's Fitness are only like $600 and Force USA ones are even cheaper at $449 (not sure about their build though).

Actually funny, I've got nerve damage due to my lumbar back injury that I manage, got no power in my left gastroc, no contraction sensation, but I do get a contraction sensation in my left soleus when doing seated calves, albeit a minor one towards the bottom portion of the muscle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the issue is getting enough weight on the knees comfortably.

less about cushioning and more about physically being able to get >100 kilos onto your legs.
we used to do it with 50s at my old gym (before they got a machine) and it was doable with a training partner or 2 but still a bit of a PITA
Once I get a 4 post cage over summer, I'll consider a couple of calf raise hacks I can do inside the rack

I'm thinking something like

Buy a squat/hip thruster pad for the barbell (hopefully it's wide enough), or use a towel or something

Set up both safety spotter arms and a secondary safety mechanism underneath it (straps, pins, flip down safeties etc)

Lift off from the safety spotter arms at a higher height (you'd want to set up on the edge of the safeties), shuffle back slightly on the bench, then rep it out, then when you're done try and slide the bar onto the second safety mechanism you have. A bit of fiddling around to work out the height of the safeties will be needed, hopefully it can be done.

I remember trying to do them on the Smith machine at one of my old gyms that didn't have a seated calf raise (had to use the leg press most of the time), it was hard to rack the bar back up, so I'm thinking dropping it gently onto a safety would be easier?

Yeah I've tried heavy dumbbells and heavy kettlebells on my thighs with a plate under my feet for a bit of elevation, it just ain't the same, have to go really high reps to feel anything, but at least I eventually get a burn, 25-30 reps in.

I've actually noticed (never realised even though I've done the exercise for years), that the seats rock up and down on a commercial calf raise with your range of motion, means the pressure of the weight you use never really changes imo as we're locked in rocking away.

It's a hard muscle to hit the soleus compared to the gastrocnemius. Building my home gym, I'm not a fan of buying equipment with only 1 real purpose, but a seated calf raise could be an exception considering how hard it is to hit the soleus effectively, but also calf raises aren't too expensive and are only about the size of a bench so won't take up much space. ATX ones at Sam's Fitness are only like $600 and Force USA ones are even cheaper at $449 (not sure about their build though).

Actually funny, I've got nerve damage due to my lumbar back injury that I manage, got no power in my left gastroc, no contraction sensation, but I do get a contraction sensation in my left soleus when doing seated calves, albeit a minor one towards the bottom portion of the muscle.
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, except I've put nowhere near as much in to my home gym as you. Feel like I'm in no man's now. Too late to start stocking up. I'm also doing 25-30s with a 5 second eccentric phase.
Praying to the gym gods that gyms can reopen 26th. 😇🙏

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, except I've put nowhere near as much in to my home gym as you. Feel like I'm in no man's now. Too late to start stocking up. I'm also doing 25-30s with a 5 second eccentric phase.
Praying to the gym gods that gyms can reopen 26th. 😇🙏

You need to pray to the God of Dan Andrews and his disciples.

It could be as early as the 19th, but the weekends numbers/events haven't been promising. It will be interesting to see what does open upon the 19th-26th, i have a feeling if numbers don't go well this week the 19th will be pushed back or the easing of restrictions will be modified.

It could be as early as the 19th, but the weekends numbers/events haven't been promising. It will be interesting to see what does open upon the 19th-26th, i have a feeling if numbers don't go well this week the 19th will be pushed back or the easing of restrictions will be modified.
No chance it will be in October unfortunately. At best we may get indoor pools, but Gyms will be one of the very last things

Yeah, I'm the eternal optimist, hence my lack of home gym gear. But yeah, reckon 26th with heavy restrictions is looking most likely.

No chance it will be in October unfortunately. At best we may get indoor pools, but Gyms will be one of the very last things

Sorry to hear, is that based on any information you have or just a gut feel?

Sorry to hear, is that based on any information you have or just a gut feel?
Bit of both, i've been in a few networking meetings and everyone in the industry is getting the same whispers/info, gyms will be among the very last things to reopen.

You can always use regional vic as a guide for these things as well. So the fact that gyms here in regional Victoria aren't spoken about opening until well past the 0 case 14 day average, you can bet Metro Melbourne is miles off, going by Dan Andrews, Gyms are one of the highest risks for community spreading.

numbers don't go well this week the 19th will be pushed back

Still have NFI why he thought it was a good idea to move the date forward in the first place.
Just gonna piss off people even more if he doesn't come good with further easing.

Still have NFI why he thought it was a good idea to move the date forward in the first place.
Just gonna piss off people even more if he doesn't come good with further easing.

Particularly when its been of the back of one cluster (Butcher club) which is nearing 30 cases, that has derailed the Gov's aim of 19th.

Bit of both, i've been in a few networking meetings and everyone in the industry is getting the same whispers/info, gyms will be among the very last things to reopen.

You can always use regional vic as a guide for these things as well. So the fact that gyms here in regional Victoria aren't spoken about opening until well past the 0 case 14 day average, you can bet Metro Melbourne is miles off, going by Dan Andrews, Gyms are one of the highest risks for community spreading.

It is a real shame that so many people are suffering on the back of Government's incompetence.

It is a real shame that so many people are suffering on the back of Government's incompetence.
Especially us out here, so many local businesses that survive on local support and staying open....

That being said, i'm here in Kilmore, where a Melbourne person was a positive case, stopped in to visited a family member in town on there way through, then decided to have brunch at a local cafe, in-turn infecting said family member and causing the small cafe to close down and deep clean...as you can imagine there's a fair bit of outrage in the fact that people can just be flat out stupid and selfish, could potentially lead to a whole spread of cases.

So i do sympathize with Dan Andrews somewhat, yes the government have shown incompetence, but people also haven't helped themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back