80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
I'm finding a lot at the moment that most of the things holding me back are really inconsistent from week to week. Like on Saturday I missed a lot of fairways - not by heaps, but there was no consistency to how I was missing. One of my playing partners is off single figures, he had 84 nett so horrible day, but he was hooking every tee shot so straight away being a decent player he can address that. I was hooking some, slicing some, allowing for hook on other holes but hitting it bullet straight to the right.

The only consistent mistakes I'm making are with lob wedges from 20-40 metres out. I'm never sure whether to try and flop it by cutting straight under the ball, or swinging normally (albeit softer) and angling down on the ball

I'm finding a lot at the moment that most of the things holding me back are really inconsistent from week to week. Like on Saturday I missed a lot of fairways - not by heaps, but there was no consistency to how I was missing. One of my playing partners is off single figures, he had 84 nett so horrible day, but he was hooking every tee shot so straight away being a decent player he can address that. I was hooking some, slicing some, allowing for hook on other holes but hitting it bullet straight to the right.

The only consistent mistakes I'm making are with lob wedges from 20-40 metres out. I'm never sure whether to try and flop it by cutting straight under the ball, or swinging normally (albeit softer) and angling down on the ball
From 20 metres hit a running 8 or 9 iron unless your going over a hazard
Hell try putting

Hell try putting

For the first time yesterday during a bit of a muck around hit with my young bloke I did try doing that a couple of times. My 'safe' option is using a sand wedge from that distance I talked about early and my success rate of at least getting it to a puttable spot is quite high. However I feel because my game has improved in other areas that I'm at the stage where I should be actively looking to put the ball in a particular spot to putt from rather than just 'getting it on the green' so the temptation is always there to use a lob wedge and try to attack the shot. It's not smart golf I realise that. Oddly I actually used a putter to get out from under some trees yesterday about 30m short of the green, downhill - I was trying to just keep it low and run it onto the front half because usually when I try that shot with, say, a 4-5 iron, I still manage to get it a little bit airborne and hit the low branches. So I used the putter, made the contact i wanted..... and the ball bounces off a stick on the ground, up into a branch hahahaha

Good luck. I played last Wednesday for the first time in a while and had 37 points. After sinking a hard putt on the first for par I spent most of the round scrambling. You can’t not touch a stick for two weeks and expect to putt and chip well. However, my iron game was smick and the driver not too bad also.

Well lebbo to be honest ive been playing for a few weeks, a s**t load too. putting never left me, everything else did. it is what it is as they say in the classics. haha

today at the National it was windy as heck. played very difficult, including putting. Imagine acres of acreage without anything to buffer the wind. slight slice/pull its goneeeee!!!

Hell try putting

or a hybrid bump and run. playing the %s

today at the National it was windy as fu**. played very difficult, including putting. Imagine acres of acreage without anything to buffer the wind. slight slice/pull its goneeeee!!!
Only played the National once, amazing place, but ridiculous winds. It’s like mandalay but with cliffs.

My lob wedge stays in my boot.

a3ba3c3fbf887bd3e776e1fbae6edc34.jpg

ouch. We were first off the 1st tee on Saturday, 6.50am, raced around the front in about an hour 45 or something (three man group). As we got to the 11th when we started the back, we could see the equivalent group from the back 9 just finishing 16. Geez they must have taken their time. Sure enough we were backed up like a blocked toilet thereafter. Old codgers ftl
Slow play is a major bugbear of mine.
Talking about slow play. Wednesday last week I was in a group of four who had finished the front 9 and we made the long trek to the temporary 10th tee box. We had all teed off and were about to make tracks to the green on this short par 3 (usually a par 5). Next minute the group behind us rocks up and scolds us for being slow and causing a banking up of groups behind us. I had just messed up the 9th like usual with a double bogey and hit the under lip of the bunker on 10. So I’ve let fly with we are exactly 2 hours to here and you should shove your comment where the sun doesn’t shine.

Played a quick 9 on Sunday.
Well after on Saturday riding my bike to the markets to get some veggies, then taking my son to the cricket nets for a an hour then mowing the lawn. Sunday I whipper snipped, did the hedges and then a walk with my wife. Needless to say by Sunday afternoon I was swinging like an old gate.

Played 9 holes Sunday at Sandringham links and the same 9 again this morning.

Surely the finest set of greens from a construction and condition viewpoint on a municipal course anywhere in Vic/Aus. Just amazing.

Second 9 will be open late November I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the finest set of greens from a construction and condition viewpoint on a municipal course anywhere in Vic/Aus. Just amazing.

Can't wait to have a hit on it! Is it the old front nine that is open atm? and are the holes framed as they were?

Last edited:

Isn’t that part of the old Royal Melbourne?

Amazing how sometimes everything starts working half way working through a round. 48 on the front today and hadn't even hit a green in regulation or parred a hole. Next 5 holes played in even par
I call it the 'golfing tide'. Some days it's in, some days it's out. It feels like there's nothing you can do about it. And as you say, it can turn in the middle of a round. For better or worse!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back