80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:

Isn’t that part of the old Royal Melbourne?
Sandy Links is a brand new design - all the old Sandringham public holes are no more.

And for the record none of the old Sandringham public holes were ever Royal Melbourne holes. One of the great sandbelt urban myths!

Sorry Scrappy - just saw your post. All Sandy Links holes are new holes. Everything has been redesigned.
Given the proximity to royal melbourne, does it have a similar vibe? Greens as fast etc? We truly are spoiled here in Melbourne (when we can drive >25kms)

Given the proximity to royal melbourne, does it have a similar vibe? Greens as fast etc? We truly are spoiled here in Melbourne (when we can drive >25kms)
The similarities are primarily in the rock hard greens and fescue approaches.

Whilst being firm the greens are quite slow which makes sense when you are trying to get full fields of public golfers around. They look pristine though.

There is some very nice sandbelt style bunkering in place so all up it does give you a small taste of the RMGC experience.

The similarities are primarily in the rock hard greens and fescue approaches.

Whilst being firm the greens are quite slow which makes sense when you are trying to get full fields of public golfers around. They look pristine though.

There is some very nice sandbelt style bunkering in place so all up it does give you a small taste of the RMGC experience.
How long before they have the full 18 back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm heading up to the Mornington Peninsula in a few weeks for a Monday-Wednesday mini break. Would like to play courses like Eagle Ridge, Flinders, maybe a couple of others.

For those around the area, do I need to book in advance this far out? Or can I wait til a couple of days out. I don't want to miss out on a tee-time, but at the same time I don't want to book now to find that on the day I've booked at 3pm in 38 degrees or I've booked a morning that's 20mm rain and storms.

Any advice?

I'm heading up to the Mornington Peninsula in a few weeks for a Monday-Wednesday mini break. Would like to play courses like Eagle Ridge, Flinders, maybe a couple of others.

For those around the area, do I need to book in advance this far out? Or can I wait til a couple of days out. I don't want to miss out on a tee-time, but at the same time I don't want to book now to find that on the day I've booked at 3pm in 38 degrees or I've booked a morning that's 20mm rain and storms.

Any advice?
Most of these places would have online bookings. Maybe check out what they have left for early next week to give you idea of how far in advance you will need to book

Last edited:
I've got a week off coming up and was thinking of doing something similar to that.

What is everyone's thoughts on the best courses to play? Was thinking St Andrews Beach, Cape Schanck, The Dunes. Where else would be best? I would probably try and get 5-6 rounds in over a 7 day period

Any advice?
Just check comp days

Normally pretty easy to get on
Flinders
Dunes
Eagle
St Andrews (must play)

1st light is awesome around Flinders

Just check comp days

Normally pretty easy to get on
Flinders
Dunes
Eagle
St Andrews (must play)

1st light is awesome around Flinders
I'm only about an hour away, so will defintely play St Andrews one day, but I've been told it's quite challenging for the high handicapper so not sure I'm ready for that!

National Old is strictly for masochists. The most penal golf course in Victoria.

hehe you said penal.

Nah, my fave all time course. Just love it. The views, the vista, the ambience.

Any advice?

As others said call up and ask. Flinders is a private course but do allow guests on certain days.

I'm only about an hour away, so will defintely play St Andrews one day, but I've been told it's quite challenging for the high handicapper so not sure I'm ready for that!

you have to play st andrews. A doak course that is world known.

Not true, its playable for high handicappers, big wide fairways, must play

Not true, its playable for high handicappers, big wide fairways, must play
Those are the best kind of courses where the challenge is more about getting it on the green rather than keeping on the fairway. Makes it playable for everyone

Stunning to look at but I personally find the Moonah and Gunna far more enjoyable to play.

Gunna.......boring off the tee. Greens great. Moonah is just enjoyable in every facet of the game
How did you go the other day (old and long island)?

Gunna.......boring off the tee. Greens great. Moonah is just enjoyable in every facet of the game
How did you go the other day (old and long island)?
I think its a tad harsh calling the Gunna boring off the tee. Almost always preferable parts of the fairway to hit and the wind always plays on the mind with driver in hand.
Moonah is the best of the 3 in my opinion balancing the better parts of both courses somewhat.
Didn't go in the comp just some casual matchplay with a friend. (A loss on the old and a win at LI)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back