List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I'm still struggling to understand is how Robertson slid "because of his disposal" yet Serong goes at 8 despite being probably the worst kick of anyone taken in the first round. Robertson won the Larke medal, and is one of the best leaders from the draft class.
The disposal thing is bullshit. Players who have higher contested possession ratios will always have lower DE due to kicking under pressure.

Has there ever been a Larke medalist that hasn't had a very very good career? From memory Robertson had the best champs for many years, better than Walsh.

Thanks guys. My interest is in the NGA numbers because that's going to be where the next big AFL utensil-up controversy will take place. Next year's NGA numbers will be even bigger I think, especially as they may include some first-rounders.
We potentially have two in the first round and we're highly likely to play finals. Raak may slide (hopefully) but when you're 192cm and can kick well on both sides clubs take notice.

Fingers crossed there's a high profile FA signing to take some attention away from the NGA issue next year.

Has there ever been a Larke medalist that hasn't had a very very good career?
Since the year 2000, Kayne Pettifer, Andrew Hooper, Cale Morton, Kepler Bradley, Byron Schammer, Jesse Smith,
Sam Power and Steven Armstrong, but it could be argued that simply getting on a list is vindication of a good
career although a few potential Mofra bottom 50 candidates there.

The disposal thing is bullshit. Players who have higher contested possession ratios will always have lower DE due to kicking under pressure.

Has there ever been a Larke medalist that hasn't had a very very good career? From memory Robertson had the best champs for many years, better than Walsh.
That's why I'm baffled at Robertson sliding. Especially since Dow was taken earlier. I would've considered Robertson at pick 8 if I were Freo

That's why I'm baffled at Robertson sliding. Especially since Dow was taken earlier. I would've considered Robertson at pick 8 if I were Freo
I had Freo bidding on Finn Maginess and Hawthorn not matching, perfect David Mundy replacement and I rated
Maginess with his size and athletic profile we all see things differently which is good, but it will take years to
see which players adapt to the AFL demands and who struggles with injury and self belief.

Wasn't Hooper a Larke medallist??

Well, yes. Since 2000 these are some of the not so good careers:
2000 - Kane Pettifer: played 113 games but hardly a household name in top draftees
2004 - Jesse Smith: 27 games
2007 - Cale Morton: 76 games
2009 - Andrew Hooper: 7 games
2010 - Harley Bennell: 83 games
In the 4 years between 1995 and 1998, the Larke winners played a grand total of 25 games.

Admittedly, as recruiting has become more scientific and methodical, the Larke medallists are much more hit than miss.
I suppose it all depends on your definition of "a very, very good career".

2000 - Kane Pettifer: played 113 games but hardly a household name in top draftees
In the 4 years between 1995 and 1998, the Larke winners played a grand total of 25 games.

Admittedly, as recruiting has become more scientific and methodical, the Larke medallists are much more hit than miss.
Fair points - were any of them captains with a high % of CP though? That is sometimes quoted as the top indicator for likelihood of AFL success. Cale Morton for example had a very high UP%, and Bennell was ruined by injury and off field issues.

Fair points - were any of them captains with a high % of CP though? That is sometimes quoted as the top indicator for likelihood of AFL success. Cale Morton for example had a very high UP%, and Bennell was ruined by injury and off field issues.
The Larke medal only really became known as a good indicator of future success in maybe the last 5 years or so. Before, it was just like any other medal with it being quite hit and miss. Since Bennell won in 2010, the "worst" Larke medallist would be one of Petracca, Schache or Graham - all decent players with huge amounts of potential.

Bennell should never be used in any example about draft pick range or on field performance.

Use him as an example of poor off-field management, poor injury management and some very unfortunate personal circumstances.

IF you have to use Bennell, he is easily on the medal is a good indicator to success side. Certainly isn’t on the poor side. His best is top 5 at almost any club, it’s just other issues that have derailed him.

Bennell should never be used in any example about draft pick range or on field performance.

Use him as an example of poor off-field management, poor injury management and some very unfortunate personal circumstances.

IF you have to use Bennell, he is easily on the medal is a good indicator to success side. Certainly isn’t on the poor side. His best is top 5 at almost any club, it’s just other issues that have derailed him.
Keep in mind that I was responding to Mofra's question, which, to be fair to him, he probably meant rhetorically rather than literally. My response was to provide some recent examples of Larke Medal winners whose careers have not been "very, very good". In respect to Harley Bennell, his great talent is undeniable but thus far it is unfulfilled for the reasons which have been well-documented. I understand he is training with Melbourne and may yet get the opportunity to resurrect his career and good luck to him.
If your opinion is he shouldn't be on my list of examples that's fine but I am comfortable with his inclusion based on his history thus far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to post here but can anyone advise me where Snoopdog’s 2020 AFL draft considerations might be? Over the years I really like what he had to say.

Sorry to post here but can anyone advise me where Snoopdog’s 2020 AFL draft considerations might be? Over the years I really like what he had to say.
If i recall correctly Snoop Dog said - fo shizzle those doggies will bid on Marra-izzle, they be sittin back chillin and makin out like a villian with the rights to picking this premo bud they be 2020 killin.

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back