News Crows guernseys/apparel discussion and news

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s literally called the “Away Clash Guernsey”
You could take that to mean and the away AND the clash are one and the same, as in they've been combined.

More likely though is that this is our second away jumper for when our white jumper clashes with the other team. What a soccer team would call their 'third' kit.

Maybe it's a case of the AFL making us wear the white away, because it's been the best option.

So if we don't have the option, like many clubs, they'll have to do what they do with the Suns in this case and have us wear our home jumper away.

You're right that there isn't a lot of logic, but clubs that have avoided the white get away with more than those they have the option.

It felt like everyone was moving towards a white version and we definitely embraced the idea more than others but it seems to be moving back to coloured away jumpers over the last few years.
They just told us to wear it because we were 'away'. We did that.

Other clubs such as Essendon have done their own thing without consequence when it comes to jumpers and they also got Band 1 for Daniher by manipulating the system with Brisbane. We do what the AFL tells us and still got lumped with Pick 23.

Now would be a great time to simply start wearing this new top away from home, but we won't do it. Pre-season, and maybe against Sydney at best. White every other time.

You could take that to mean and the away AND the clash are one and the same, as in they've been combined.

More likely though is that this is our second away jumper for when our white jumper clashes with the other team. What a soccer team would call their 'third' kit.
I think it is AWAY CLASH in that we will wear it when our primary guernsey (home) clashes with the opposition in away games.

We have our guernsey - to be worn 100% of the time at home and in away games where there is no clash, and our Away clash guernsey to be worn away when that other one would be a clash

I think it is AWAY CLASH in that we will wear it when our primary guernsey (home) clashes with the opposition in away games.

We have our guernsey - to be worn 100% of the time at home and in away games where there is no clash, and our Away clash guernsey to be worn away when that other one would be a clash

Yes, but in fact they look pretty identical: if one clashes, the other will. So shorts would be the only non-clashing feature. ;)

Hell even Fages turned up.

I'm sure we'll see a bit more of him in the coming weeks when there's a few more good news stories.

He'll even take the credit for pick 1.

I like the jumper though.

Yes, but in fact they look pretty identical: if one clashes, the other will. So shorts would be the only non-clashing feature. ;)

It’s usually the darkness that clashes not colour combo

us v GC a prime example

some say hawks an example of it not working but that’s only if you consider the home jumper a clash which it shouldn’t be

Particularly look no at it from the back, that changes the look of the 2 a lot and that’s often where the clashes are most brought about

Whilst I quite like the guernseys that have come out, I can't help but think the club missed a trick here.

On the home guernsey you have all the players who have played for the club. It's a nice touch.

On the away guernsey though, it should have had all names of the people who pledged 50% or more in this past season. Would have been a nice touch - would have been a great 'we fly as one' link in. You could have said how our supporters are always with the team etc... It would also have been a nice thank you - with the added benefit of a huge number of those people buying the guernsey!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the away guernsey though, it should have had all names of the people who pledged 50% or more in this past season. Would have been a nice touch - would have been a great 'we fly as one' link in. You could have said how our supporters are always with the team etc... It would also have been a nice thank you - with the added benefit of a huge number of those people buying the guernsey!

Did we ever find out what the "inner sanctum experience" for those who pledged 75% or more was?

Did we ever find out what the "inner sanctum experience" for those who pledged 75% or more was?
20 minute League of Legends experience with Nigel Smart. Not sure what's happening now though?

20 minute League of Legends experience with Nigel Smart. Not sure what's happening now though?
Maybe a 30 minute "watch the car please" driver safety experience with Andrew Fagan?

Whilst I quite like the guernseys that have come out, I can't help but think the club missed a trick here.

On the home guernsey you have all the players who have played for the club. It's a nice touch.

There's a little under 250 names on the home
The club (or media) released that there were over 7,000 who did a 100% pledge!
Not sure where they'd all fit.

hmmm Good point.
I agree it's a good idea, but how.
Not sure I'd do it as a normal away guernsey though.
Maybe as a 1 off guernsey (in red maybe? :p )

I've just gone through the 18 teams and their guernseys.

12 clubs (Adelaide, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast, Western Bulldogs) should be proud of what they wear

But 6 clubs shouldn't, the following 4 are barely acceptable imo.

Geelong - I will admit, due to the rest of the league, Geelong works no matter what. Their guernsey is similar to Port Magpies in that there's enough of a balance in dark vs light that the colour of the shorts actually change the base colour to avoid clashes. BUT, Collingwood have only worn white on black guernseys for 20 years. Before that it was black on white for 100 years. Better to be safe and have an inverse just incase Eddie Maguire decides to bring back the traditional guernsey.

GWS - Under the circumstances, it's probably acceptable. It's not an inverse like 10 of the clubs above, and expanding 1 colour like the other 2 do mightn't work with GWS. But what I'm loving about the league these days is most clubs have an image and they're sticking to it (some *cough* Essendon *cough* very abstractly) but this isn't the best. But what else can GWS do? Honestly wouldn't be opposed to reimagining the club similar to what Port Adelaide did in 2010 and Fremantle in 2011. GWS feels like they've fallen in the same spot with not getting it right the first time. You cant make it work with what you currently have. And if something can only be done 1 way, you're not really building a tradition with the guernsey when the away guernsey is so different (unless the image they're going for is the letter G....)

Brisbane - I admit, their away guernsey is actually good, and exactly what I want. However, they have a 3rd strip. And that 3rd strip is the problem. Do not pull designs out of your arse, and do not pull a new colour out of your arse. Your 2017-19 clash was great. Historical colours in modern design. Love it. Simple. And celebrates your heritage. But then you bring out your current clash guernsey. Ruins it.

Port Adelaide - I didn't know whether to put it with these 3, or down the bottom with the final 2 clubs as worst guernsey sets - Probably fall in their own tier between the two tbh. It's not an inverse which is what I'm liking about 10 clubs (well, 9, I dont find Gold Coast appealing, but it works for its purpose) then it comes down to what perspective you take for the silver top. On one hand, it's taken out of no where. Not on their home guernsey, not in their logo. Where does it come from? On the other hand, they've had "The silver, teal and black and white" in their song since 1997. I guess it took them 130 years to put the silver in their guernsey, especially after it being there for 20 years in song so it isn't completely out of their arse like Brisbane has with white (or what we have for years) - It's a shame. Their 2010-18 away guernsey was absolutely perfect. Then they went and ruined it and for what? Acknowledging 1 line of a song?

Now the 2 clubs who need a new bloody away guernsey.

Essendon - Such a bloody stubborn club. Ironic thing is they started off wearing a plain blue guernsey. Go on and on about red sash on black background. Start off with a stupidly oversized red sash, then go red sash on black background on a gray base, now it's red sash with black lining on a red base. I admit, the story of why it's like that you can sell to those that love the club. But it's not a great design. Look At Richmond. Exact same design. But an inverse. Absolutely stunning. That's what Essendon should be doing. Same colours, same design. Answer me this Essendon. Would you rather see your players win a grand final in your 98% red guernsey with 2 diagonal black pinstripes. Or would you want to see your team win a grand final in something that actually looks good (Lets not make any jokes about just winning a final full stop).

Melbourne - Easily the worst guernsey SET in the league. Home is great. Love it. But the minimal work for clashes does not work whatsoever. Change the navy blue back to red for the away? WHAT'S THE POINT. Whatever you clashed with before you still clash with. You're just going for an easy buck on sales. And the clash? As much as I like the guernsey, it still doesnt work. You went from navy blue to royal blue. Woop-de-do. Still clash with Adelaide. Still clash with West Coast (unless they're forced to wear their clash at home). Still clash with Fremantle (unless they're forced to wear their clash at home). Still clashes with Essendon (unless they're forced to wear their clash at home), still clash with Carlton (unless they're forced to wear their clash at home). I will not accept the back being a different colour (blue vs red) cause a player wont see that when trying to extract the ball. Your home and your clash are nice guernseys. But they do not compliment each other and actually provide us with the whole point of it all and you're wasting everyone's time.

Our engagement executive, or whatever Sam Jacobs was calling himself was on Rowey's Sports Show, or whatever that's called now.

The yellow jumper was referred to as our away jumper and that we've done away with the white option was mentioned a few times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back