brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Our 2023 AFLW season has come to an agonising end.

Now we turn our focus onto 2024, where the competition will have a new head with Nicole Livingstone departing

What were the highlights of 2023? The lowlights? The key moments of our season?

How can we win the tight ones so we can return to the top in 2024?

Discuss away

Despite the extremely frustrating and disappointing ending, I actually think we made strides in 2023.

In the 2022B season we were a distant, distant third. Brisbane and Melbourne were miles ahead of us. We closed the gap this season and could have feasibly won against every side in the comp. There is no reason to think we shouldn't be right up there again next year, as long as we continue to improve in line with the rest of the comp.

Our side is still very young and most of our best players are 26 or younger. The older players are Bonner (36), Randall (32), Thompson (31), Allen (29), and Kelly (28). Bonner was an experiment that didn't quite work, no big loss there. Randall and Thompson should stick around for another season or two at least, and Thompson is not exactly high priority to keep anyway. Allen and Kelly could feasibly play for another 5+ seasons. Everyone else is still quite young.

Coming into 2023, the question was whether we could create a functional forward line. And the answer ended up being, kind of? Gould and Jones both worked as forwards, albeit Gould had a disappointing finals season and Jones had a prelim to forget (after almost dragging us over the line against Brisbane). Ponter is obviously a threat when she's up there and a big-game player. Those three form a very useful forward-line and combined for 57 goals over our 13 matches. After that, though, the cupboard is pretty bare. Waterhouse was okay-ish. Bonner probably didn't do enough given she is now 36. And there was nobody else of notice. Randall up forward didn't really work. Hatchard rested down there at times and contributed a bit. That's about it. We need to find at least one more quality forward for 2024.

Other than that, we probably need to find another 1-2 serious midfield options. Marinoff had a great season again, but she is always the most effective when there are other effective midfielders around her. When she is a lone hand, she can't do much more than just slam it long. Hatchard is obviously quality, even if she never quite reclaimed her 2022A form. Jess Allan was a revelation in the ruck. Beyond that, we're struggling. Charlton looked like stepping up in the first part of the season, but then regressed. Martin doesn't seem to quite have it anymore. Who else is there? We need at least one more starting engine room midfielder capable of posting big numbers. Kelly and Newman are required on the wing. It could be Randall I guess, but we seem reluctant to put her there. Maybe Goodwin could play this role? Or do we bite the bullet and put one of the other inside mids we've recruited and then played out of position there? Someone like Najwa Allen, for instance? Or even give the responsibility to Levy.

We need to decide once and for all if we're going to play two rucks (Allan/McKinnon) or just one. Allan seems like she could play 90% game time, and her resting up forward never really worked. Another midfield in McKinnon's place might be beneficial, if we can find a midfielder worth playing.

Down back, I'm not convinced we have the right mix at the moment, but Sarah Allan should be better if she (touch wood) doesn't lose 80% of the season to injury this time. Biddell is still quality. Prowse is pretty good although I wouldn't say her position is beyond doubt. Beyond that, it's an open question. Goodwin and Mueller were alright at times this season but hardly world-beaters. Tonon a level below that. Could Kustermann play a role here? I still think Randall needs to be in the backlines.

There is certainly plenty of growth left in the squad. With Port able to scoop up all the good talent again this year, I suspect we will back in our squad and have another go at a premiership. From there, we will need to make some tough decisions about which players to move on.

1701078447608.png

Marinoff, Kelly, Biddell and Ponter in the All-Australian team.

Hatchard’s early season blues probably cost her, whilst not reaching previous heights she had a strong second half of the season.

Biddell perhaps a bit lucky, wasn’t able to reach last season’s heights given the role change with Sarah Allan’s absence.

Changes I would’ve made were Gardiner on field and G.Prespakis from Geelong for Conway. Also Jasmine Ferguson from North had a better season than both Sheerin and Biddell down back.

Just when you think the Brownlow Medal is the most cooked medal count for the year the AFLW’s B&F says hold my beer.

Umpires should not vote on things, they are increasingly separated from the reality of what constitutes a strong performance on a football field.

Garner not in the top 5, Hatchard more votes than Marinoff - Molloy more votes than both of them 😅

Just when you think the Brownlow Medal is the most cooked medal count for the year the AFLW’s B&F says hold my beer.

Umpires should not vote on things, they are increasingly separated from the reality of what constitutes a strong performance on a football field.

Garner not in the top 5, Hatchard more votes than Marinoff - Molloy more votes than both of them 😅

What are the odds the umps looked at a list of players, saw Conti, and went, ‘Oooh I recognise that name, 3 votes’ 😂

View attachment 1861790

Marinoff, Kelly, Biddell and Ponter in the All-Australian team.

Hatchard’s early season blues probably cost her, whilst not reaching previous heights she had a strong second half of the season.

Biddell perhaps a bit lucky, wasn’t able to reach last season’s heights given the role change with Sarah Allan’s absence.

Changes I would’ve made were Gardiner on field and G.Prespakis from Geelong for Conway. Also Jasmine Ferguson from North had a better season than both Sheerin and Biddell down back.
Definitely Gardiner on field over Conway, and Ferguson over Biddell. Sheerin was pretty good and played midfield towards end of season. Biddell is lucky to be named. Didn't think her season was that great.

I though Goldsworthy would've been close. She had a great season and was pretty much GWS best player all year. Molloy was a bit inconsistent as well. A bit surprised by her selection.

Garner and Marinoff by far had the best/most consistent seasons yet neither can ever buy a vote at these AFLW B&F counts.
Did their teammates take votes off of them? IMO, Garner should've been B&F. Conti was tagged out of a few games.

Surely by now the umpires are embarrassed by not having recognised Garner in previous seasons. If you can't even get votes in the de facto midfielder award as the competition's best midfielder....
Imagine handing the entire responsibility of selecting a sporting league’s best player award to a bunch of trainees and part-time casual on-field officials. I doubt most of these young umpires/casual umpires would even know half the players playing in the games they’re umpiring, no idea why just because they’ve applied for a casual position, been selected to go to a ground, wear fluoro and make decisions on what constitutes their interpretation of rules qualifies them to judge who has played a good game of football.

Apart from a few of the girls winning All Australian spots, I don't think the team or any girls won any other awards? Is the competition passing the Crows by now? Maybe the equalisation system's working and, even though we almost won through to the GF, other teams and players are surpassing the Crows.

Apart from a few of the girls winning All Australian spots, I don't think the team or any girls won any other awards? Is the competition passing the Crows by now? Maybe the equalisation system's working and, even though we almost won through to the GF, other teams and players are surpassing the Crows.

I think it's more some of the middling teams only have 1-2 elite players, while we have a champion team that will take votes off each other in any award voting.

Conti's B&F is more reflective on how shallow Richmond's depth is than her being the best player in the league.

I think it's more some of the middling teams only have 1-2 elite players, while we have a champion team that will take votes off each other in any award voting.

Conti's B&F is more reflective on how shallow Richmond's depth is than her being the best player in the league.
Would that apply to the coaches and players votes? I was disappointed that Chelsea missed out on a couple of awards, but perhaps she hasn't been at her best this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would that apply to the coaches and players votes? I was disappointed that Chelsea missed out on a couple of awards, but perhaps she hasn't been at her best this year.
Chelsea has been down on form this year. She still had her moments of brilliance, but they were fewer than previous years.

There aren't that many individual awards to go around. Marinoff still came third (I think? From memory...) in the B&F voting which is pretty damn good. She was fourth in the coaches votes as well. Randall still came second in the most courageous award. Gould was third in the goalkicking.

Really, the AA team is where there are a number of awards to go around, and we ended up with four players which is pretty damn good.

Our team is still up there with any other team, roughly in line with the top teams and ahead of the rest, just like we were in 2017 and 2021/2022. Really, 2019 is the only time we dominated the competition.

Would've thought Varnhagen and Bonner are other options to delist. Bonner will be 37 by next season.

Options, certainly - but they were picking Varnhagen on the emergency list in the finals ahead of others, and Bonner was in the starting side every match she was available this year, so it's hard to say.

It feels like Whiteley is ahead of them both on the delist pile.

Last edited:
Options, certainly - but they were picking Varnhagen on the emergency list in the finals ahead of others, and Bonner was in the starting side every match she was available this year, so it's hard to say.

Here is the revamped rules.

I thought I read somewhere that Bonner signed for 2 years but I could be wrong. I would think Smith is delisted and reconsidered next year when a decision is made on whether Ballard becomes Inactive for her ACL.

Lisa Whiteley and Yvonne Bonner have retired

Leaves us with 3 list spots if we retain Smith as the replacement for Dowrick who was on the inactive list
‘Retired’.

That Bonner drafting call was quite the waste of time, fair to say nothing ventured, nothing gained but recruiting a 36 year old from another country given what level the AFLW has advanced to was pretty short-minded and a bit daft.

Also farewell Lisa Whiteley, credit to her for staying in the AFLW system as cross-coder for as long as she did despite not ever really being a football player, those players were usually weeded out of the league by the end of season 3.

Nothing surer than Hannah Button being relisted too and taking up one of those spots despite the fact she’s not near the level because you know Good Guy FC ect., that knee injury could be a blessing in disguise for her as she’ll somehow get an extra season’s salary.

Only ones left on shaky ground would be Varnhagen, Smith and Kustermann, it would seem obvious to keep Kustermann out of that trio but Phil Harper has made some strange list calls in his time.

Last edited:
To be fair, it's not like Bonner was keeping anyone of note out of the team. I can't imagine we were going to put Levy or Kustermann up forward. If she wasn't in there chances are Whiteley would have been. I'm not exactly devastated to see the back of her, though - or Whiteley, for that matter.

We need to focus on not having holes on the ground, rather than just relying on our best players to do everything. 1-2 new midfielders, at least one new forward, and some better small defensive options. Whether those spots will come from drafting/recruiting, or just shuffling the deck chairs remains to be seen.

Nothing surer than Hannah Button being relisted too and taking up one of those spots despite the fact she’s not near the level because you know Good Guy FC ect., that knee injury could be a blessing in disguise for her as she’ll somehow get an extra season’s salary.

Only ones left on shaky ground would be Varnhagen, Smith and Kustermann, it would seem obvious to keep Kustermann out of that trio but Phil Harper has made some strange list calls in his time.

Short of a miracle, it's hard to see Button contributing much going forward. She was a marginal player even during her better seasons.

Kustermann surely remains on the list. I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith let go, and then potentially redrafted depending on what happens in the draft?

Unless we can bring in some players via trade this year, we're going to be picking pretty late in the SA draft pool, so no need to get rid off too many players.

Hopefully we're in the ear of a few of Port's better players... I wonder if Ewings would be interested in making the switch and seeing if we can get her in better shape? And she can bring Dowrick with her :p

Still, overall, all four delistings/retirements are good moves so far. We've cut most of the deadwood/depth-at-best players from our list now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back