Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2023 Off Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like she's been overlooked for several seasons now. I assume there is something putting off AFLW clubs?

A few seasons ago her kicking was sub parr, seems to have improved to the point of being proficient. Regularly beats her opponent in the middle, has been pushing forward to kick the odd goal, shows the amazing talent in the SANFL I guess and one of the reasons the Crows are smashing it.

A few seasons ago her kicking was sub parr, seems to have improved to the point of being proficient. Regularly beats her opponent in the middle, has been pushing forward to kick the odd goal, shows the amazing talent in the SANFL I guess and one of the reasons the Crows are smashing it.
With Crows and Port now in the league there will be chances for players like her to get a look in. I'd love to see the Crows take a shot at her.

So much talent in the SANFL, but I'm surprised that Zoe Venning hasn't been picked up by an AFLW club. Absolutely smashing it this year for West Adelaide.

Venning should have been on a list at least for the last couple of seasons, could not believe Port didn’t at least grab her last year for some inside ball toughness.

The kicking issue was blown way out of proportion in previous years, it was no worse than a lot of players on AFLW lists, her clearance work, marking and running capacity is elite and would translate very well to AFLW level it is just the Crows list make up and them wanting/having the ability to keep their list stable with little change (basically the opposite to the rest of the AFLW clubs) meant with the limited list spaces they made a point of picking players who looked like better kickers than they already had on their list that’s why they picked up players like Ballard, Dowrick and Waterhouse for example who I don’t think are as good a player or better prospect then what Venning is it’s just when given time those players players can kick the ball better.

With that said I think you can miss out on very good players that you need to make up a good team by being too picky, you look at the current crows side that has Marinoff and Hatchard dominating in the midfield yet neither kick the ball that great (Hatchard has even looked like she’s forgotten how to kick since her foot injury) do you turn your back on player who could become a similar level of player in the future to them because of that?

The lack of midfield support for those two was not addressed again with those two just relying on support from Charlton and cameos from Martin, Ballard and an aging Randall, those backups were a main reason Melbourne smashed them in the finals. From what I’ve seen of Venning she would at least cover some clearance damage when Marinoff and Hatchard are resting or if you wanted to throw Hatchard forward, no one else on the current list has shown the ability to do that.

Although a couple of centimetres shorter Venning’s marking is so good I would back her to be more of a marking threat up forward then Yvonne Bonner ever will be as well but it’s not like I’m not holding a grudge or anything…

Last edited:
With Crows and Port now in the league there will be chances for players like her to get a look in. I'd love to see the Crows take a shot at her.
Unfortunately for Venning I feel like her time may have passed with only a injury replacement spot opening up anything for her, her main opportunity was there last draft or last season with Port coming in, tough for a player when over looked for 3 straight drafts.

Even more hampering for her is the 2024 draft class which it seems the Crows are definitely waiting for to address their midfield issues by drafting 2 of Shineah Goody, Piper Window, Mollie Brooksby or Elaine Grigg.

Venning should have been on a list at least for the last couple of seasons, could not believe Port didn’t at least grab her last year for some inside ball toughness.

The kicking issue was blown way out of proportion in previous years, it was no worse than a lot of players on AFLW lists, her clearance work, marking and running capacity is elite and would translate very well to AFLW level it is just the Crows list make up and them wanting/having the ability to keep their list stable with little change (basically the opposite to the rest of the AFLW clubs) meant with the limited list spaces they made a point of picking players who looked like better kickers than they already had on their list that’s why they picked up players like Ballard, Dowrick and Waterhouse for example who I don’t think are as good a player or better prospect then what Venning is it’s just when given time those players players can kick the ball better.

With that said I think you can miss out on very good players that you need to make up a good team by being too picky, you look at the current crows side that has Marinoff and Hatchard dominating in the midfield yet neither kick the ball that great (Hatchard has even looked like she’s forgotten how to kick since her foot injury) do you turn your back on player who could become a similar level of player in the future to them because of that?

The lack of midfield support for those two was not addressed again with those two just relying on support from Charlton and cameos from Martin, Ballard and an aging Randall, those backups were a main reason Melbourne smashed them in the finals. From what I’ve seen of Venning she would at least cover some clearance damage when Marinoff and Hatchard are resting or if you wanted to throw Hatchard forward, no one else on the current list has shown the ability to do that.

Although a couple of centimetres shorter Venning’s marking is so good I would back her to be more of a marking threat up forward then Yvonne Bonner ever will be as well but it’s not like I’m not holding a grudge or anything…

Do you know whether Venning is willing to move interstate? I'm guessing she wasn't in the past. Abbie Ballard is an interesting comparison, drafted from West Adelaide where Venning plays and in Ballard's draft year I'd say Venning was the better player, but Ballard looked like she might have a higher ceiling. Venning is the kind of player that gets the job done, probably won’t become the best player in the league. But that’s ok, my assessment is that she is well ahead of some current AFLW players and if ever drafted will become even better with the support.

As we move from the off-season to the pre-season, so does the AFLW discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back