Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2023 Off Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our list changes so far

OUT: Ash Woodland (expansion), Marijana Rajcic (retired), Ailish Considine (delisted), Dayna Cox (retired, inactive)
IN: Sarah Goodwin, Jess Allan, Taylah Levy

Likely to also gain Leah Cutting from St Kilda, who they delisted

Button inactive due to ACL. Will Varnhagen return?
We also need some quality youth developing. Hopefully we can find some girls coming through that have the ability to go up a level or two.

We also need some quality youth developing. Hopefully we can find some girls coming through that have the ability to go up a level or two.
Kustermann and Prowse barely played, plus we stuffed around McKinnon again. Goodwin coming in. That's a good range of youth considering where the side is at.

I guess the article I read on womens.afl saying the trade period was already finished was wrong, because apparently we're still active and looking to trade for Jess Allan! This article says the trade period ends at COB today.

No word yet on what we would give up for her. Apparently the army training that kept interrupting her seasons is now finally finished, so presumably she will be available to play if she's good enough to earn her spot.

Also, according to that article Hewett is still on our list. Not sure yet whether she will remain inactive or not.

We could potentially line up this year with McKinnon and Allan sharing ruck duties while Gould plays permanent forward and Prowse plays permanent defender. Would be a tall side! Hewett as backup ruck.

I'd have McKinnon ruck, Prowse defense, Gould forward, Allan bench. If Cutting comes, she'd be first choice backup or even in the team over Allan.

Goodwin and Kustermann in for Rajcic and Button.

Compared to the prelim team last year

Out: Woodland, Rajcic, Whiteley, Allen
In: McKinnon, Goodwin, Allan, Kustermann

Kustermann and Prowse barely played, plus we stuffed around McKinnon again. Goodwin coming in. That's a good range of youth considering where the side is at.

Mueller is still only 19 too. Hell, even the likes of Charlton and Ballard are only 20.

Our under 25 squad includes Biddell, Jones, Gould, Ponter, Newman, McKinnon, Munyard, plus the above mentioned players. We've got plenty of youth.

And hey, we'll never need to worry about Simmons being inexplicably selected over McKinnon again! :)

Last edited:
Highlights package:

From Goodwin's Rookieme profile prior to last year's draft:

One of the most damaging players by both her disposal and metres gained is Glenelg’s Sarah Goodwin, who has bolted to be among the top AFLW Draft prospects this year. Off the back of a strong SANFLW season where Goodwin lifted her numbers and became a vital player in the Bays' defensive setup, she has found a home at half-back after spending time in the midfield last year.

One of the most potent, attacking defenders in the draft crop, Goodwin is best known for her run and carry off half-back, and she is not afraid to take those high-risk, high-reward kicks into the corridor. Possessing a deadly boot to make those passes, Goodwin has a terrific burst and can take a lot of grass, running from half-back to the wing. At times, Goodwin is often holding a high line on the wing and can even be stationed that kick behind play to send the ball back inside 50.

Her decision making and vision allow her to not only hit targets, but pick the right targets to hit, and that is what makes her all the more damaging from a footy IQ perspective. Her vision to quickly assess what is around her and create her own space, almost acts as a “worst case scenario” option when she is in trouble from an opponent. When having the game on her terms, Goodwin can propel off half-back and even win over 30 touches a game, being a really high accumulator who not only racks up the stats, but has an impact with just about every one.

Goodwin is definitely an outside player, with her contested work and strength areas to further improve on for the future. She competes one-on-one, but can get outmuscled at times, and a strong preseason at the elite level will help with that. Overall, Goodwin is the type of player who will be utilised in that running role with high hurt factor.

She played SANFLW yesterday and had 27 touches (next best on ground had 21) in a win over North. (Fellow Crows teammate Brooke Tonon had 10 tackles)

Last edited:

Adelaide has made changes to its inactive list with two-time premiership player Deni Varnhagen returning to play in AFLW Season Eight.

Varnhagen, 30, will join her teammates for training in coming weeks after sitting out last year during which time she welcomed her first child in October.

Crows Women’s Head of Football Phil Harper said the squad would benefit from Varnhagen’s experience and her return was one of a few list management changes.

“Deni is a proven performer who knows what it takes to achieve success at the elite level and importantly, she has maintained her fitness and conditioning while away from the Club,” Harper said.

“Having missed the past two seasons, albeit they were in the same calendar year, she will immediately strengthen our squad as we look to once again challenge strongly in the finals.”

Hannah Button, who tore her anterior cruciate ligament during a training session last week, has been moved onto the inactive list and she will undergo surgery in the near future.

For the second straight season Jasmyn Hewett’s work commitments as an aviation rescue firefighter in Darwin will prevent her from playing.

Given the circumstances the Club has made the decision to delist Hewett, who played 16 AFLW games in two stints with the Crows and was a member of the 2022 premiership team.

“Every player sets out to win a flag and for Jasmyn to do so at the Club she grew up supporting is something special and we will always appreciate and reflect fondly on her contribution,” Harper said.

“Jas has made the difficult decision to put her AFLW career on hold while she focuses on her aviation firefighter career, as she knows she would not be able to give football her all.

“We have let Jas know that she is always welcome back at Adelaide if she ever has the chance to return to AFLW.”

Adelaide has made changes to its inactive list with two-time premiership player Deni Varnhagen returning to play in AFLW Season Eight.

Varnhagen, 30, will join her teammates for training in coming weeks after sitting out last year during which time she welcomed her first child in October.

Crows Women’s Head of Football Phil Harper said the squad would benefit from Varnhagen’s experience and her return was one of a few list management changes.

“Deni is a proven performer who knows what it takes to achieve success at the elite level and importantly, she has maintained her fitness and conditioning while away from the Club,” Harper said.

“Having missed the past two seasons, albeit they were in the same calendar year, she will immediately strengthen our squad as we look to once again challenge strongly in the finals.”

Hannah Button, who tore her anterior cruciate ligament during a training session last week, has been moved onto the inactive list and she will undergo surgery in the near future.

For the second straight season Jasmyn Hewett’s work commitments as an aviation rescue firefighter in Darwin will prevent her from playing.

Given the circumstances the Club has made the decision to delist Hewett, who played 16 AFLW games in two stints with the Crows and was a member of the 2022 premiership team.

“Every player sets out to win a flag and for Jasmyn to do so at the Club she grew up supporting is something special and we will always appreciate and reflect fondly on her contribution,” Harper said.

“Jas has made the difficult decision to put her AFLW career on hold while she focuses on her aviation firefighter career, as she knows she would not be able to give football her all.

“We have let Jas know that she is always welcome back at Adelaide if she ever has the chance to return to AFLW.”

I'm yet to be convinced that Varnhagen fits in at AFLW level anymore, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have her as depth. Hopefully she's got all the legal bullshit out of her system now.

Definitely sensible to delist Hewett, given she would most likely be fifth in line for a ruck spot anyway. She'll always be a premiership hero :)

And Simmons

To be fair, I'm pretty sure what happened there was that Goodwin requested a trade to Adelaide, and none of our players wanted to leave. We probably spoke to Simmons and told her, look, you're going to be depth at best here. Would you like to move to Port and have the chance of playing more games, and it will help us get this trade done?

It’s like the Wild West out here in AFLW land.

Firstly the Sarah Goodwin trade is a great coup, it’s a revenge plot and a muscle flex, I reckon as soon as that we heard about Woodland the club were straight in the ear of both Ewings and Goodwin and it wouldn’t surprise me if Ewings has already been put in Ports top payment tier so they were probably able to convince Goodwin a lot more easily to fall out the other side.

Goodwin’s improvement as a player already there to be seen with her 27 possession return on the weekend for Glenelg, was a dominant running performance and made me comment how disappointed I was she was on Port’s list 😅, the fact Jas Simmons was somehow considered a Player that could be included and that Port was happy to accept her on to their main list does prove some miracles exist in footy.

Again I’m very surprised the AFL didn’t block the trade as she was drafted in 2022 and thought they would’ve put in policy to stop those drafted in the last 12 months to expansion clubs from moving.

The Jess Allan move of course long time coming to be confirmed and does foreshadow that Gould move as a more permanent forward, she really does need to improve though as a footballer if she’s going to become the number 1 ruck as I really have not seen much improvement from her junior football till now, whether the Army stuff has impacted the amount of her actual football training I don’t know but her positioning and ability to stay in play really does need improvement. Her ruck craft is somewhat better than McKinnons though.

The Varnhagen return and all the stuff she brings with her it’s not surprising that she has returned to the list as we already know her penchant for seeking legal counsel, as a player the last time we saw her she could barely move a inch laterally as her knee was totally stuffed so whether her 2 years out the game have somehow rehabbed that knee to a point where she can actually contribute at AFLW level is a huge question mark. Also as a player she does seem like a remanence of the past that’s taken a list spot from someone who is part of the newer, more advanced ‘better’ generation of players.

If they make no more delistings it looks like the club won’t make any selection in that supplementary draft which I still feel they could find a better forward out of the SANFLW than Lisa Whiteley.

I am assuming we have 30 on the list including Button moving to Inactive List leaving 1 position available. I assume we are keeping Waterhouse who was a replacement player. Also no word on Dowrick so assume she is fit to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats on getting in Goodwin.

For those who don't watch a lot of Port games, she was generally very good when she got the pill but struggled to have a consistent impact on games which saw her sit out quite a few.

There was one quarter she had where we saw a really good glimpse of what she might become (sorry can't remember the game - might have been St Kilda in round 9) - was easily best on ground for it, was in everything, and seemed to just play her natural game, which indicated to me that she has all the tools she needs to be a star, but is still lacking that level of confidence to consistently play that natural game week in and week out at the top level, so once she builds that, look out.

In short, extremely high ceiling and a great pick up.

Yep confirmed no pick in the supplementary draft which means Waterhouse likely staying on, also looks like a DFA like Leah Cutting will be added instead and any other list replacement will depend on if/when Dowrick is moved to the inactive list.

Basically the main list changes atm look like being;

OUT: Woodland, Considine, Rajcic, Button (inactive)

IN: Goodwin, Varnhagen, Allan, DFA

Last edited:
The Varnhagen return and all the stuff she brings with her it’s not surprising that she has returned to the list as we already know her penchant for seeking legal counsel, as a player the last time we saw her she could barely move a inch laterally as her knee was totally stuffed so whether her 2 years out the game have somehow rehabbed that knee to a point where she can actually contribute at AFLW level is a huge question mark. Also as a player she does seem like a remanence of the past that’s taken a list spot from someone who is part of the newer, more advanced ‘better’ generation of players.

Yeah, I didn't like the way the club trumpeted her as a "proven performer". She was quality back in 2017, sure, but in AFLW terms that was a lifetime ago. Back in those days the likes of Metcalfe, Perkins, Bevan, Radan, Killian etc were at least as important as she was and they're all long gone from our side. She would have been one of the last players selected in our 2019 grand final team (and one of the worst performed on the day), and has barely played since then.

To be fair to her, her best match since 2019 was probably her most recent match, the grand final against Brisbane. Still, she definitely feels like she's from a previous generation of players that has been well and truly usurped.

Yeah, I didn't like the way the club trumpeted her as a "proven performer". She was quality back in 2017, sure, but in AFLW terms that was a lifetime ago. Back in those days the likes of Metcalfe, Perkins, Bevan, Radan, Killian etc were at least as important as she was and they're all long gone from our side. She would have been one of the last players selected in our 2019 grand final team (and one of the worst performed on the day), and has barely played since then.

To be fair to her, her best match since 2019 was probably her most recent match, the grand final against Brisbane. Still, she definitely feels like she's from a previous generation of players that has been well and truly usurped.
Maybe you are making a slightly harsh call but easier to take her back and see if there is anything in the tank then say Zoe Venning who we trade out for the the glittering prize of the 2005 cohort (Young, Goody, Window, Brooksby, Grigg, Whitcombe, Cox or Charity)

Leah Cutting to Essendon, not us

Strange, unless she’s got a last minute Police transfer to Victoria, St Kilda definitely made it sound like it was work related and she wouldn’t be in the state.

So there’s still a spot available and the club’s not in the supplementary draft so who knows when that will be filled, not many DFA’s of note available especially to SA.

Maybe it is that the Crows never rated her even though she was braining it in the SANFLW and won a few times as Ruck in Team of Year. Adelaide choose Metcalfe in a sliding doors moment. Also there was only 1 back up Ruck spot to replace Hewett.

Congrats on getting in Goodwin.

For those who don't watch a lot of Port games, she was generally very good when she got the pill but struggled to have a consistent impact on games which saw her sit out quite a few.

There was one quarter she had where we saw a really good glimpse of what she might become (sorry can't remember the game - might have been St Kilda in round 9) - was easily best on ground for it, was in everything, and seemed to just play her natural game, which indicated to me that she has all the tools she needs to be a star, but is still lacking that level of confidence to consistently play that natural game week in and week out at the top level, so once she builds that, look out.

In short, extremely high ceiling and a great pick up.
A bit difficult to make an impact when getting 50% game time and going to bench every 5 minutes

So the AFC website says they are going to have a pick in the supplementary draft on the 4th of April.

I'm struggling to make the numbers add up here. There are six departures (Woodland, Considine, Cox, Rajcic, Simmons, Hewett) and only three additions (Levy, Goodwin, Allan). Hewett was replaced by Waterhouse last season anyway, so count her as an addition. So that's six departures and four additions. Aren't we two players short? And that's not even counting Button moving to the LTI list.

I'm guessing that maybe Simmons doesn't "count" because she was a rookie listed player? Although in that case, why should Levy count?

I'm assuming we will have our pick after Port have finished all of their picks. It would be in the fourth round?

Edit: Of course, Varnhagen coming back as an active player is the one I was missing. I guess I just tried to forget 😬

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back