Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2023 Pre Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

How ****ing stupid is the AFL

Playing the AFLw Showdown on the same day as the Adelaide Football League's womens 1st, 1st reserve, 3rd AND 5th division Grand Finals?

Throw in that it's the worst timeslot anyway due to regular games. (First week of finals for mens)

I wont be able to attend that simply as I'll be umpiring. Shame, as I was at the North Adelaide B+F last year and missed the first showdown too (Still laugh at Ewings pre-recorded speech to accept North Adelaide's top goalscorer award, and she said, 'sorry I cant be there, Ill be across the road kicking goals' - Port were goalless haha).

And on that weekend, sure, the SANFL has AO booked for Sunday, but why the **** isnt the showdown on there on Saturday or even Friday.

Ah well, the AFL's stupidity on timeslot means I miss the Showdown and Essendon games, so the extra stupidity on the venue choice isn't that big for me. But it's still stupid.

Yep. I guess the AFL are assuming the PF will be a twilight game that day, and scheduling around it.

We also have the exotic 4:45pm Friday game against Richmond.

At least the exotic matches are away games.
Exotic is certainly a diplomatic way of putting it.

Everything the women are saying about the AFL setting up the women's season to fail are correct.

Also due to the finals running into the cricket season it's once again likely that the grand final will have to be played at some pissy little country ground where tickets will sell out instantly. Then there will be complaints about crowds again

Exotic is certainly a diplomatic way of putting it.

Everything the women are saying about the AFL setting up the women's season to fail are correct.

Also due to the finals running into the cricket season it's once again likely that the grand final will have to be played at some pissy little country ground where tickets will sell out instantly. Then there will be complaints about crowds again

Unlike last season, when the potential Grand Final venues were not finalised until nine days before the decider, Grand Final venues have been locked in for all 18 teams, should they earn hosting rights by being the highest-placed finisher. The possible Grand Final venues are:

• Alberton Oval: Port Adelaide
  • Norwood Oval: Adelaide
  • Brighton Homes Arena: Brisbane and Gold Coast
  • Fremantle Oval: Fremantle
  • GMHBA Stadium: Geelong
  • Henson Park: GWS and Sydney
  • Leederville Oval: West Coast
  • Ikon Park: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs

I have a left field thought if it is a Grand Final in SA. Barossa Valley Stadium. Engage government and see if they want to do dress rehearsal for the AFL Gather Round country venue. Have Tourism SA on board.

I have a left field thought if it is a Grand Final in SA. Barossa Valley Stadium. Engage government and see if they want to do dress rehearsal for the AFL Gather Round country venue. Have Tourism SA on board.

It only has a capacity of 5000. I doubt they would be okay with that.

In any event, the venue is already locked in for this year (subject to us actually hosting it).

Ailish Considineā€™s been picked up as a replacement player by North Melbourne for fellow Irishwoman Vikki Wall. Not really a like for like replacement talent wise, Wallā€™s a big loss for them, one of the best Irish recruits in the league but has moved into the Irish Rugby setup.

Ailish Considineā€™s been picked up as a replacement player by North Melbourne for fellow Irishwoman Vikki Wall. Not really a like for like replacement talent wise, Wallā€™s a big loss for them, one of the best Irish recruits in the league but has moved into the Irish Rugby setup.

I believe you mean dual-premiership superstar Ailish Considine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the first AFLW practice matches are this weekend, right? Does anyone if they will be broadcast anywhere, or if the footage will be made available?
Unless the clubs cover them themselves, with the AFL playing in the same city at more or less the same time, the mainstream media will be otherwise occupied.

Rainbow Crows are holding a Quiz Night this Friday night.

The action gets under way from 7:00pm at Fullarton Community Centre.

$25/ticket or $200 for a table of 10.

BYO drinks and nibbles.

There will be a few competitions and auction items on the night as well.

Itā€™s going to be a great night.

If youā€™re keen to come along, grab your tickets via Rainbow Crows Quiz Night

Wouldā€™ve liked a match sim report like a lot of the other clubs have provided, hoping something pops up but doubt if it hasnā€™t yet it will.

Hard to decipher any info from the match especially just going by some tweets (Xā€™s?) itā€™s down to just guessing some of the puzzle which were alluded to like did Clarke actually pull the trigger & play Jess Allan as the number 1 ruck? (if so how/where did Gould & McKinnon split their time on the ground?) Interesting if thatā€™s just a pre-season move or if heā€™ll continue it in the season proper.

IMG_2660.jpeg

1691973088374.png

Given she was a multiple goal scorer would also have liked to know if Eloise Jones has been moved forward again which is what I was imploring them to do all off season, also going by some photos posted by Brisbane looked like Abbie Ballard was more in the midfield again, which didnā€™t work out so well at the end of last year so it will be interesting to see if sheā€™s improved in there with another pre-season under her belt.

Hoping to get some of those answers at the Adelaide Oval this week.

Yes, super frustrating that there isn't even a list of goalkickers yet. If you didn't follow the Twitter account you wouldn't even know they played, nothing on the website for either team.

a mate of mine works for Carlton's AFLW side - he said this weekend was all match sims for the clubs and the AFL told them if they want it streamed anywhere the clubs would have to pay for it so he said you wouldn't hear much about any of the games

a mate of mine works for Carlton's AFLW side - he said this weekend was all match sims for the clubs and the AFL told them if they want it streamed anywhere the clubs would have to pay for it so he said you wouldn't hear much about any of the games
All clubs except Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood and the perennial afterthought club West Coast at least put up match reports though

Goalkickers: Bonner 2, Jones 2, Gould, Martin, Marinoff, Ponter, Whiteley, Charlton, Randall, Ballard, Hatchard, Tonon
Well thatā€™s something I supposeā€¦ Subjective but something at least acknowledging an event happened involving the team on the weekend.

Bonner probably confirming her spot in the team to start the season as youā€™d expect to be the case when a team recruits a 36 year old in the offseason and at least Marinoff alludes to Jones being up forward again.

Well thatā€™s something I supposeā€¦ Subjective but something at least acknowledging an event happened involving the team on the weekend.

Bonner probably confirming her spot in the team to start the season as youā€™d expect to be the case when a team recruits a 36 year old in the offseason and at least Marinoff alludes to Jones being up forward again.

I'm sure Jones can play forward but she seems so useful on the wing. I guess we need forward targets.

Yes, Bonner will need to hit the ground running from this season to make it worth recruiting her. Hopefully she can follow in the footsteps of Jess Foley and have a little two-year cameo precisely when we need her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back