Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Teams in for Round 1 SANFLW and Crows perspective is 4 current players and 5 ex listed.

Najwa Allen rocking the number 66 for Norwood, Kiera Mueller, Brooke Tonon and Keeley Kustermann.

The ex's Jaimi Tabb, Jess Allan, Katelyn Rosenzweig, Brianna Walling and Georgia Bevan.

On top of potentially stealing our players, Port now get Lauren Young for free. And they’ll likely have the 1st pick to draft Goody next year (whereas previously it looked like we might’ve been able to get Goody in an open draft).

On top of potentially stealing our players, Port now get Lauren Young for free. And they’ll likely have the 1st pick to draft Goody next year (whereas previously it looked like we might’ve been able to get Goody in an open draft).

Absolute joke that they get underage player access to Lauren Young, no team in the rest of the comp not even the other expansion teams are allowed access to any U/18 for the next season yet they magically get allowed this stipulation. That is a big shady deal the Port women’s football hierarchy has done with the AFL.

As much as it's annoying that they've done this, realistically the four latest expansion teams are complete basket cases on-field compared to the established teams so it's probably only reasonable that they get another leg up.

You'd be pissed if you were one of the previous rounds of expansion clubs who were just left to wallow after their entry, though.

So Port get two extra list spots next year. Are players still paid in tiers? Are those two extra list spots at a certain tier? They get to offer "secondary relocation reimbursement/payment" to players signed in the PSP but if Port takes a player from Adelaide, there is no relocation, right? I'm just trying to think whether Port can offer any incentive to move from the Crows other than less competition for starting spots.

As much as it's annoying that they've done this, realistically the four latest expansion teams are complete basket cases on-field compared to the established teams so it's probably only reasonable that they get another leg up.

You'd be pissed if you were one of the previous rounds of expansion clubs who were just left to wallow after their entry, though.

So Port get two extra list spots next year. Are players still paid in tiers? Are those two extra list spots at a certain tier? They get to offer "secondary relocation reimbursement/payment" to players signed in the PSP but if Port takes a player from Adelaide, there is no relocation, right? I'm just trying to think whether Port can offer any incentive to move from the Crows other than less competition for starting spots.
I find it most unreasonable that a team finishing 4th can lose up to 5 players, whilst the 5th placed team can lose 2.

I find it most unreasonable that a team finishing 4th can lose up to 5 players, whilst the 5th placed team can lose 2.

As usual, the AFL worked out the outcome first and then set a policy in place to match it afterwards. They clearly identified us, Melbourne and Brisbane (and to a lesser extent North) as the teams who were way out ahead of everyone else, and set a policy to match.

Although there is an argument that Collingwood should have been included in that bracket as well.

So... who do we think might go? It has to be someone who has been on an AFLW list for at least three seasons, so I believe that rules out Kustermann, Mueller, Waterhouse, Simmons, Prowse and Ballard (possibly others I've forgotten as well).

Hatchard was obviously the big name mentioned last time who didn't end up going, hopefully she will stay this time as well.

I would be most worried about McKinnon, after she was inexplicably dropped twice last season despite playing quality footy. She would probably be eyeing up a guaranteed starting spot at Port Adelaide.

Fringe players who would be much more likely to earn a starting spot at Port Adelaide include Ward, Button, Dowrick, Hewett (is she still on the list?) and Whiteley.

It would be somewhat amusing if the end result of this was that nobody went to Port. I guess they would still get Young for free out of the arrangement so they probably wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So... who do we think might go? It has to be someone who has been on an AFLW list for at least three seasons, so I believe that rules out Kustermann, Mueller, Waterhouse, Simmons, Prowse and Ballard (possibly others I've forgotten as well).

Hatchard was obviously the big name mentioned last time who didn't end up going, hopefully she will stay this time as well.

I would be most worried about McKinnon, after she was inexplicably dropped twice last season despite playing quality footy. She would probably be eyeing up a guaranteed starting spot at Port Adelaide.

Fringe players who would be much more likely to earn a starting spot at Port Adelaide include Ward, Button, Dowrick, Hewett (is she still on the list?) and Whiteley.

It would be somewhat amusing if the end result of this was that nobody went to Port. I guess they would still get Young for free out of the arrangement so they probably wouldn't mind.

Port couldn't even manage to steal their full allotment of players from us last time

What an odd thing to say... given that he's taken us to two premierships.
Yeah, bit odd lol. I am very tired.

I should probably have just said:

1) Yuck to having two former players, so soon after leaving us, start their coaching career with the women's team. Are they really the best people to have in these positions?

2) Very happy to see Jack Madgen in his role.

Yeah, bit odd lol. I am very tired.

I should probably have just said:

1) Yuck to having two former players, so soon after leaving us, start their coaching career with the women's team. Are they really the best people to have in these positions?

2) Very happy to see Jack Madgen in his role.
Yes, I'm not sure about MJ, and not sure what Knight brings as a coach either. Proof will be in the pudding I guess. The one thing I was disappointed with Clarke this year was when he said they hadn't changed anything up in the offseason (between the two seasons last year) because "why change a successful formula"? To me, we'd become the hunted and because we hadn't changed anything up, we were surpassed by Clubs who were trying to do what we did, but better. I hope he's changed his mantra this year. And for mine, if there's no success again this year, time for a change.

Yes, I'm not sure about MJ, and not sure what Knight brings as a coach either. Proof will be in the pudding I guess. The one thing I was disappointed with Clarke this year was when he said they hadn't changed anything up in the offseason (between the two seasons last year) because "why change a successful formula"? To me, we'd become the hunted and because we hadn't changed anything up, we were surpassed by Clubs who were trying to do what we did, but better. I hope he's changed his mantra this year. And for mine, if there's no success again this year, time for a change.

Rainbow Crows had their Inaugural General Meeting last night, and Stevie-Lee and Chelsea Biddell were guests at the meeting (along with Sam Jacobs and Graeme Goodings).

Despite the fact it's well and truly off season (pre-season doesn't officially start until late May), alot of the girls are already out training. I think they know what they need to do to get back to the top 2 of the league.

That was most likely just a media line. If anything, Clarke has been obsessed with changing things up every year, sometimes to our detriment. If you look at our two flags under him, one of them came off us having the best offence in the comp, and the second came off us having the best defence. Completely different game styles. I'm sure he'll be switching things up.

Not 100% sure whether Rajcic and Knight are the best options, but let's be honest - it's a part-time role. It either needs to go to somebody already living here, or to someone like Clarke who has a full-time role at the club already.

That is huge news! I did wonder if there would be any issues with them having a year 12 player going through exams at the same time as the season, but from memory they had that last year anyway.
As mentioned in the follow up tweet Matilda Scholz now becomes their obvious target which certainly scuppers the plans I had in my head for the Crows going forward with their ruck division. Hanging on to Montana McKinnon now very important either that or need to ask the question of Jessica Allan who’s returned to SA and is currently rucking for Centrals in the SANFLW.

Port would be slightly cursing the timing as what would’ve originally been the 2023 draft class of those born mid-2004 to early-2005 was a weird down year in top SA talent as nearly all the top state under 18s from 2023 including top talents like Lauren Young, Shineah Goody, Piper Window and others are all mid-late 2005 and 2006 births and in high school still.

That being said they still are gifted Scholz for free who is an athletic freak and is a more athletic mixture of Emma King & Lauren Pearce and will likely become the best ruck in the league.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Port ask for even more draft handouts before the 2024 season to get the other generational talents for free as well but at least for now the Crows are still in the fight to get the absolute freak superstar that is Lauren Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back