Review AFLW Round 6 - Melbourne v Adelaide @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Worked all day yesterday and then band played a gig last night so have not been able to watch it at all yet but am looking forward to Sunday evening replay

My mate who works for Melbourne was very complimentary in the best kind of begrudging way

Is this the first year where we’ve been playing pretty much consistent 4-quarter efforts in each game? I’m really liking our 2nd half efforts in particular. Quite amazing how our defense have stood up big time without Allan, with Prowse looking like one of the finds of the season with her improvement.

Is this the first year where we’ve been playing pretty much consistent 4-quarter efforts in each game? I’m really liking our 2nd half efforts in particular. Quite amazing how our defense have stood up big time without Allan, with Prowse looking like one of the finds of the season with her improvement.

We've certainly had some bad quarters along the way (Q1 yesterday, for instance), but we've been able to fight every match out which is the key thing.

Prowse looks super natural as a defender which is great, because she hadn't looked all that natural elsewhere on the ground. She's got the ideal frame for a defender. It's funny, she's obviously quite tall, but compared to our other rucks I always felt she didn't look that tall. I'm a fairly tall guy so of course I'm bigger than her (and every other Crows women's player), but seeing McKinnon or Jess Allan at the grounds I always think "geez, that's a sizable player!" whereas I never thought that with Prowse. She looks more like Sarah Allan or even Najwa Allen in terms of her frame.

What is handy is that she is so clean beneath her knees for a tall. Between her, Sarah Allan and Biddell, we've got three tall backs who can all read and use the ball extremely well, and all have a serious turn of pace when needed.

We've certainly had some bad quarters along the way (Q1 yesterday, for instance), but we've been able to fight every match out which is the key thing.

Prowse looks super natural as a defender which is great, because she hadn't looked all that natural elsewhere on the ground. She's got the ideal frame for a defender. It's funny, she's obviously quite tall, but compared to our other rucks I always felt she didn't look that tall. I'm a fairly tall guy so of course I'm bigger than her (and every other Crows women's player), but seeing McKinnon or Jess Allan at the grounds I always think "geez, that's a sizable player!" whereas I never thought that with Prowse. She looks more like Sarah Allan or even Najwa Allen in terms of her frame.

What is handy is that she is so clean beneath her knees for a tall. Between her, Sarah Allan and Biddell, we've got three tall backs who can all read and use the ball extremely well, and all have a serious turn of pace when needed.
Even though we didn’t score in the first quarter in the recent game, I felt we were competitive enough with decent forward entries that weren’t capitalised. We don’t have to win in each quarter as long as we’re competing well, that seems to be the game plan. With our superior fitness, we tend to overrun teams as long as we’re around the mark by half time.

I could be wrong, but I reckon this year we’re the most efficient we’ve ever been in the second half, even compared to our premiership years. The team looks more composed and better skills running out the match.

I think with Prowse, her marking is looking like a strength as well as having decent agility for her size. Feels like a season-defining year for her in a similar way to Biddell in the past 1-2 seasons. Really enjoying seeing her progress so far!

Interesting Media

Melbourne centric

I watched ABC Offsiders and observation between Kelly Underwood & Corbyn Middlemas about lack of publicity and observation that WSL & Chelsea where marque matches are played (Same with Arsenal). Shouldn't the Melbourne v Adelaide be played at Princes Park or the AFL's own stadium and make a small loss.

Rachele Martin for that last goal to Gould... that was... "Chef's kiss".

Hope that stuff gets highlighted to the team. All she had to do was execute and she did - no fumble, perfect handball. So much of the game that didn't happen, and that sealed the win.
That handball was HUGE - I’ve seen a lot of our girls struggle to hand ball a metre away. Her pass was strong and long - not bad for a little person!

Just watched the replay – terrific win.

Slow starts remain a worry, but players will get a lot of self-belief and confidence from wining against the reigning premiers after a scoreless first quarter.

Tackling pressure was great from both sides, but it looked like we were able to get out a handball more easily to continue the possession chain or take an outside option.

Marinoff and Hatchard obviously great in the guts, but Charlton also goes about her business quietly underrated. Loved the pace of Kelly, pressure and chases from Waterhouse and Martin also fantastic.

Felt Melbourne had the edge with their talls - Gould well held by Gillard early on and Zanker with 5 goals, although felt Prowse worked really hard even after copping that knee to the chest in the marking contest with Tayla Harris. Felt we were a bit lucky as the latter gave away a few free kicks at crucial moments.

I laughed when, during the build up to Gould's match-sealing goal, commetary said "they've shared 4 of the competition's grand final wins..."

Always diminishing our achievements. Melbourne have not been on our level.

The Crows and I have shared 3 of the competition's grand final wins. I'm a pretty big deal!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They announced pre-season where all the GFs will be played

We host @ Norwood Oval

Looking at AO

GF Day is 2 days after Sheffield Shield and 6 days before Big Bash

Though, Womens Big Bash Final is the day before the AFLw GF.

Having said all that, lets rewind to 2017

Australia vs Ireland International Rules on November 12 - 13 days after and 12 days before sheffield shield cricket.

Could the AFL try and use their sway to get it at AO and move SA vs Vic to Karen Rolten Oval.

It was the day after a three day game at Adelaide Oval too.

It seems neither the club nor AFL are interested in pushing to have the GF at Adelaide Oval. You only have to look at the zero interest the club had in moving the Showdown to Adelaide Oval to see that.

I laughed when, during the build up to Gould's match-sealing goal, commetary said "they've shared 4 of the competition's grand final wins..."

The Crows and I have shared 3 of the competition's grand final wins. I'm a pretty big deal!

Melbourne’s won the same number of flags as Brisbane and the Western Bulldogs.

Brisbane’s been in 4 GF, Melbourne 2, and the Dogs 1

It’s cricket season.
The point I’m making is allowances have been made for football in the past (the 2017 IRS match held the day after a 3 day cricket match), why can’t they make allowances again for a one off match?

Moot point anyway as the decision has already been made to play finals (including the GF) at Norwood.

The point I’m making is allowances have been made for football in the past (the 2017 IRS match held the day after a 3 day cricket match), why can’t they make allowances again for a one off match?

Moot point anyway as the decision has already been made to play finals (including the GF) at Norwood.
There was no game after the 2017 IRS though which is what matters.

They can take the pitch out and get it prepped for footy on a fairly tight turnaround. Getting the drop in pitch in place and preparing a professional standard pitch on such a tight turnaround is a different story.

I also question if it’s the best move for the AFLW anyway. Last time there was 16k at AO, which looks really empty and that was in April when people are in footy mode. Playing in front of a packed Parade and the atmosphere that creates might actually be better.

It had me thinking, I thought I was wrong, I knew we had 3 but thought Melbourne must have 2 but could only think of 1.
Who would have thought the commentators might actually do some research.

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

Just before moving on to this week’s game, a special shoutout to Jess Allan’s performance (14 disposals, 25 hitouts, 6 tackles and 3 clearances) beat Lauren Pearce comprehensively who I still rate amongst the best in the league.

Was worried heading in as despite providing some glorious centre tap work in the GWS game had struggled to run out that match and the GC game but fought back hard on the weekend, her important handballs in transition were back and her ability to still crash in and compete in the last 5 minutes of the match was ridiculously important to the result.

Off of no AFLW football since 2021 it’s been a huge effort to have the influence she’s had especially in the 2 victories in Victoria against Richmond & the Dees.

Also a couple of other individual performances that stuck out;

• Despite having quiet patches throughout the game Charlton’s 3rd quarter was one of the best of her career so far, so many tackles & is responsible for multiple repeat inside 50s that quarter.
  • Kelly’s pace changed the game in the 2nd quarter, Niamh absolutely destroyed the Dees on the outside and on transition, they simply had no answers for her and it forced them to try to turn the game into just a stoppage/clearance fest.
  • Had to feel for Mueller on the day as sometimes it felt like she had to fight against a gigantic current by herself to try and repel lots of attacks in the 1st & last quarters, often the ball was shuffled out to her & she had to get it away under lots of pressure.
  • Not hard considering previous form but Thompson looked better
  • Newman has clearly been instructed to handball more rather than just blast a kick long - sometimes it payed off, other times it didn’t
  • Ballard provided some very good ‘get out of jail’ relief for teammates
  • Goodwin is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, she needs to be moved further up the ground as her mistakes are costly but her ability to Bee-Line the ball and break forward is close to elite.

Agree with all of those points. In particular, Goodwin looked fantastic whenever she got the ball through the middle, and yet often lost at sea down back. We need to find a spot for her through the midfield rotations. Surely with Allen and Thompson back, Randall still being used behind the ball, Tonon not even playing, and Sarah Allan only a couple of weeks away, we don't need her to play back there? Put her in the midfield rotations.

I've been super impressed with Mueller's defensive work this season. The most natural small defender we've put back there in as long as I can remember.

Coaches votes are in:

10 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
8 Eden Zanker (MELB)
6 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
4 Tyla Hanks (MELB)
2 Teah Charlton (ADEL)

Pretty clear-cut - exactly the same votes from both coaches. Don't often see that!

Interesting that both coaches went with Marinoff (and Zanker) ahead of Hatchard. Hatchard had the extra possessions and the same two goals as Marinoff, and both kicked goals at crucial stages. But I think Marinoff's grunt in the contest was absolutely crucial.

Awesome to see Charlton with two votes as well :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back