Review AFLW Round 8 - Brisbane v Adelaide - Saturday 21 October @ Brighton Homes Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the games where you can almost fully attribute the loss to umpiring.

And I'm usually someone that believes you should just play better to overcome bad umpiring. This was an even contest handed to Brisbane on a platter
Crows loss means an MCG grand final. Big loss for the Crows. Big win for VFL.
Free kicks were 16 to 7

Yeah not good, dropped some simple marks too and beaten in marking contests quite easily. No where near as good this year as previously. Really need Sarah Allan back there

As good as Prowse and Biddell have individually been, I'm not convinced they work that well together. Often both end up staying down expecting the other to go, etc.

Allan is the glue that holds that defence together, hopefully she can get back before the finals themselves start.

Jones dropping everything and taking back position against Grider in that last quarter was costly.

That non-holding the ball call right in front in the last the most horrid biased call of the lot… closely followed by that 50 call on Randall, 10 of those happen a game with nothing coming from them. Got to feel for Randall considering the circumstances.

That stuff up in the centre in the last with Tonon? Thompson and Biddell was horrendous and cost the team any momentum.

Jones dropping everything and taking back position against Grider in that last quarter was costly.

That non-holding the ball call right in front in the last the most horrid biased call of the lot… closely followed by that 50 call on Randall, 10 of those happen a game with nothing coming from them. Got to feel for Randall considering the circumstances.

That stuff up in the centre in the last with Tonon? Thompson and Biddell was horrendous and cost the team any momentum.
Yup. There were so many moments that I thought could've gone better or led to better results, but that moment was incredibly costly. Combined with the soft 50m penalty. Crows also seem to cop the immediate 50m penalty when not standing on the 10m mark in defensive 50 (Martin this week, Waterhouse last week). I know they should know better, but sometimes, other players get warnings. Ours just get punished immediately.

At least you get the feeling with this group a loss like that will push them on and it won’t go the other way and destroy their confidence, but hopefully it also means they fix a few issues.

Goals from small forwards have totally dried up and isn’t helped with Ballard gone, Martin and Waterhouse isn’t working as well as it was earlier in the season, nether really impacting the scoreboard.

Need to find another forward with some goal sense to play that spot, maybe Bonner fixes it even though she’s not a small she’s good at ground level, but even her scoring had dried up prior to her injury as well. Otherwise the cupboard’s a bit bare, with Levy emerging as a genuine midfielder they could maybe look to play Charlton more closer to goal like she started her career to keep her more involved as she has been drifting out of games.

Could shuffle some positions to see what Brooke Smith and Kustermann can provide before finals especially to see if they’ll be any better than what Thompson, Gooodwin or Munyard are giving the team.

At least you get the feeling with this group a loss like that will push them on and it won’t go the other way and destroy their confidence, but hopefully it also means they fix a few issues.

Goals from small forwards have totally dried up and isn’t helped with Ballard gone, Martin and Waterhouse isn’t working as well as it was earlier in the season, nether really impacting the scoreboard.

Need to find another forward with some goal sense to play that spot, maybe Bonner fixes it even though she’s not a small she’s good at ground level, but even her scoring had dried up prior to her injury as well. Otherwise the cupboard’s a bit bare, with Levy emerging as a genuine midfielder they could maybe look to play Charlton more closer to goal like she started her career to keep her more involved as she has been drifting out of games.

Could shuffle some positions to see what Brooke Smith and Kustermann can provide before finals especially to see if they’ll be any better than what Thompson, Gooodwin or Munyard are giving the team.
Waterhouse had that nice goal assist to EJ. Provided some pressure around the ball, but not her best. Martin was well below standard.
Levy was good. Would like to see her stay in the side.

Just went back to watch the vision to see who left Cathy Svarc free at that forward 50 stoppage she ran free from that led to the 50 metre penalty… it was Charlton putting in zero effort to get to the contest, it was poor to see, hopefully gets a rocket about it on Monday.

Most stoppages were a worry today, Brisbane broke away from them too easily, those in the forward 50 were especially costly.

I'd drop Thompson and Munyard to bring in Kustermann and Bonner

Would not bother with Whiteley, Varnhagen, Ward, those types

Goodwin the 21st selected and I'd look for a role change, maybe a bit further up the ground. She's showing glimpses but not enough.

McKinnon can warm the spot for Sarah Allan.

B Mueller - Biddell
HB Prowse - Randall - Tonon

R J Allan - Marinoff - Hatchard
C Newman - Levy - Kelly

HF Martin - Ponter - Jones
F Bonner - Gould

I Charlton - Waterhouse - Kustermann - McKinnon - Goodwin

Heading into finals the early replacement candidates would be Allan for McKinnon and Allen for Goodwin

Crows had 47 more disposals but still 71 tackles to 48 is a ridiculous stat, Brisbane really go to another level against the Crows.

Free kicks 16 to 6 and beaten in clearances the other stats that standout.

Also lots of déjà vu with previous Brisbane games with only a 27% score efficiency from inside 50s (9 scoring shots from 34 entries), that’s a consistent worry, those Brisbane defenders were ok but benefited a lot from some dropped marks, poor handling errors and misplaced kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows had 47 more disposals but still 71 tackles to 48 is a ridiculous stat, Brisbane really go to another level against the Crows.

Free kicks 16 to 6 and beaten in clearances the other stats that standout.

Also lots of déjà vu with previous Brisbane games with only a 27% score efficiency from inside 50s (9 scoring shots from 34 entries), that’s a consistent worry, those Brisbane defenders were ok but benefited a lot from some dropped marks, poor handling errors and misplaced kicks.
The Lions had a few 50 meters penalties as well. :mad:

In fairness the Lions were the better team They used the ball better to advantage. Poor kicking for by Brisbane kept us in the game, Their contested marking was very good. Plus a few of our better player were down. Martin didn't have her best. She couldn't get into the game.

Last edited:
Yeah not good, dropped some simple marks too and beaten in marking contests quite easily. No where near as good this year as previously. Really need Sarah Allan back there
They ALL dropped simple marks today, including Gould and Eloise! Brisbane played the conditions (and umpires) better than we did.

The Lions had a few 50 meters penalties as well. :mad:
The Martin 50 is paid every day of the week since the rule was implemented
The Randall 50 is paid every day of the week since the rule was implemented
The Waterhouse 50 was 50/50 though. I've seen it paid and ignored.

The Martin 50 is paid every day of the week since the rule was implemented
The Randall 50 is paid every day of the week since the rule was implemented
The Waterhouse 50 was 50/50 though. I've seen it paid and ignored.

In almost all cases for the Martin one, the umpires will give at least a cursory "back to the line" call before paying it. Also she was right on the tip of the goalsquare, I thought that was where she was meant to be?

Which rule are we talking for Randall? She held her up for a couple of seconds without encroaching over the mark, players do that all the time.

I still don't understand how the 50m penalty is even a thing in the women's comp - There would be barely a player who could kick that far -

They alter the number of players on field, bring the boundry throw in by 10 or so metres, last touch out of bounds etc, so why wouldn't they change that to a 25m penalty?

I still don't understand how the 50m penalty is even a thing in the women's comp - There would be barely a player who could kick that far -

They alter the number of players on field, bring the boundry throw in by 10 or so metres, last touch out of bounds etc, so why wouldn't they change that to a 25m penalty?
Kicking is but one way of gaining territory in a game of football.

Niamh Kelly can't kick as far as the average man in a local comp, but she can certainly cover the ground faster. Reduce the 50m penalty and suddenly holding off the ball becomes a much more palatable option for combatting these players.

In a 25m Penalty World, Naomi Ferres just grabs Kelly in the middle of the ground after her 1st disposal. Free kick + 25m penalty only takes her to the edge of the centre square. Bulldogs get time top fill up D50, and a momentumless Adelaide are still out of scoring range.

In almost all cases for the Martin one, the umpires will give at least a cursory "back to the line" call before paying it. Also she was right on the tip of the goalsquare, I thought that was where she was meant to be?

Which rule are we talking for Randall? She held her up for a couple of seconds without encroaching over the mark, players do that all the time.
She was about half a metre in front, but sometimes the umpire will give them the warning and say, get back on the line. It's always more obvious at the goal square where there is a literal line to stand on, but my annoyance is the imaginary 10m line around the boundary. Players don't always know where that is, so the umpire should give the warning first and only pay the 50 if it's not done immediately.

Kicking is but one way of gaining territory in a game of football.

Niamh Kelly can't kick as far as the average man in a local comp, but she can certainly cover the ground faster. Reduce the 50m penalty and suddenly holding off the ball becomes a much more palatable option for combatting these players.

In a 25m Penalty World, Naomi Ferres just grabs Kelly in the middle of the ground after her 1st disposal. Free kick + 25m penalty only takes her to the edge of the centre square. Bulldogs get time top fill up D50, and a momentumless Adelaide are still out of scoring range.

When I saw that play, she handpasses 15m in front of her to Hatchard. I was expecting Hatchard to turn and kick forward, because I wasn't expecting her to easily outrun another 2 opponents to get the handball receive, run into the 50 and outrun another 2 opponents while bouncing the ball and run close enough to kick a goal. That was a 60-70m run? I'm glad she plays for us because it's nice having some speed for once.

I thought they do this because the female boundary umpires can't throw as far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back