Review AFLW Round 2: Adelaide v Richmond. Friday 8 September @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm the opposite, very much sold on Prowse. She's very clean below her knees for a tall and has some class. Pretty quick, too. Yes she can turn it over by foot at times but that is true of most AFLW players.

As a defender, I generally feel confident when the ball is in her area that she's likely to either win the contest or nullify it, as opposed to say, Ward or Whiteley where I just assumed their opponents would get the ball.
Well, those disposals were howlers though. Hopefully she cleans it up, cos... the rest is good. She did get the ball in the first place, which is half the battle.

Random thoughts:

Story of the game was that we had enough periods where we stopped fumbling it and turning it over to win it.

• Really impressed with Gould and her evolution. Great forward of the ball, marking target - and great taps in the Ruck. Two weeks in a row really strong at this.
  • Prowse - not really sold on her. Some really strong defensive efforts, but at least 3 absolute howlers of turnovers by foot, under not much pressure, straight to a Richmond player. Handballs to the oppo as well while under pressure.
  • EJ and Ponter - given both are so talented, I know why we have them around the goal face, but I feel like we need to make moves to get them more involved in general. Was really happy to see Ponter with 2 center bounce attendances in Q2. One of them for THAT goal. Will be goal of the year.
  • Umpring was bizarre, massive home ground umpiring, baffling decisions out of nowhere and coin flips to see which side gets it. Richond favoured hugely, but then in Q3 the free kick to Ponter (cos Kelly got slightly pushed by Conti after kicking it) and the hold on EJ were soft and possibly made up for it. EJ goaled.
  • Hatchy seems a bit off? Not getting into those link plays and not physically dominating. Noffy is though. Tackled everything near her. Noffy looks less heavy? Fitter?
  • Kelly is a gun, not sure where we are playing her though. Outside Midish, wing? We fumbled so bloody much we couldn't get it to her as much as last week.
  • I like Randall back, but she seemed to be really deep and out of the play. Then forward at the end.
  • It was good to tag Conti. I guess it was effective? Felt like she had a strong game anyway. Imagine what she'd have done without the tag!
  • The twinsies confuse me. Similar body shapes and hair. Kelly and Newman look similar. Charlton and Tonon. I need the camera to get in closer so I can see a number or a face.
  • Seems like we've got a few players who can kick a long ball now - good to see this evolution from the early years.
  • Did we only put Tonon on in the last quarter? Pretty good quarter from her.
  • In the last quarter Martin got tackled and it wasn't a high tackle. Happened twice. Amazing!
Umps were probably trying to balance out the free kick count. Umpiring was terrible in general. At one point, Marinoff tackled a player and dispossesed them. Opponent dropped the ball and both just stopped assuming it was a free because it was, but it took the umpire 1-2 second delay to blow the whistle after both players already stopped. It's like the players were calling the frees and the umps were useless.

The defenders back there are young and inexperienced. Other than Biddell, who was solid, the rest were in and out of the game. Tonon didn't show up til the last quarter and suddenly seemed to be intercepting and playing well. Prowse had a solid third quarter, but barely saw her for the rest of the game. Mueller had a good first quarter and didn't see her much for rest of the game. Goodwin had a better second half and barely noticed her in the first half. Really need Allan back ASAP, but until then, we just have to hope these young girls form a good chemistry back there.

At this stage, I'm assuming that if Allan were available, she would be taking Tonon's place in the side. As with the last couple of seasons, Tonon has been good in patches but almost invisible for large parts of the game.

With Allen presumably out next week (although I guess that's not yet confirmed), I wonder what we'll do with selection?

One option is to just back the 22 players we've used so far and put McKinnon back in. She can play back a bit anyway and is not much taller than Allen.

Alternatively, Randall can switch back as a medium-tall defender, and someone can be brought in ahead of the ball (Whiteley or Munyard?)

Or they might even try to bring Varnhagen back and see how she goes back there. Personally I would prefer Kustermann but Varnhagen is the one named on the emergency list so presumably they prefer her.

I suppose the break glass option is Ward, but I feel like she's more of a replacement for Biddell or Prowse.

At this stage, I'm assuming that if Allan were available, she would be taking Tonon's place in the side. As with the last couple of seasons, Tonon has been good in patches but almost invisible for large parts of the game.

With Allen presumably out next week (although I guess that's not yet confirmed), I wonder what we'll do with selection?

One option is to just back the 22 players we've used so far and put McKinnon back in. She can play back a bit anyway and is not much taller than Allen.

Alternatively, Randall can switch back as a medium-tall defender, and someone can be brought in ahead of the ball (Whiteley or Munyard?)

Or they might even try to bring Varnhagen back and see how she goes back there. Personally I would prefer Kustermann but Varnhagen is the one named on the emergency list so presumably they prefer her.

I suppose the break glass option is Ward, but I feel like she's more of a replacement for Biddell or Prowse.
I suspect after a 2 week judgement Clarke will decide to make some changes this week, expect Munyard, McKinnon and like you say one of Varnhagen 🫤 or Kustermann. Expect Allen and 2 of Goodwin, Waterhouse and Tonon to be the relatively unlucky ones.

their only two goals came from absolute horseshit frees
Wasn't the first one play on advantage so the free kick had zero effect on the play?

I’d move Chelsea back there. I’m not convinced she’s doing her best work up forward?

Coaches votes:

9 Caitlin Gould (ADEL)
7 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
6 Monique Conti (RICH)
4 Chelsea Biddell (ADEL)
2 Madison Newman (ADEL)
1 Najwa Allen (ADEL)
1 Niamh Kelly (ADEL)

Unique breakdown other than the placement of Allen and Kelly.

5 Gould
4 Biddell
3 Conti
2 Marinoff
1 Allen/Kelly

5 Marinoff
4 Gould
3 Conti
2 Newman
1 Kelly/Allen

Interesting that one coach rated Biddell second-best while the other didn't mention her at all.

Allen out for 3-4 weeks :(

Munyard still a week away too.

Levy available. Interesting selection this week! McKinnon back in, or something more interesting?

Sorry, hadn't seen this when I posted in the other thread.

Coaches votes:

9 Caitlin Gould (ADEL)
7 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
6 Monique Conti (RICH)
4 Chelsea Biddell (ADEL)
2 Madison Newman (ADEL)
1 Najwa Allen (ADEL)
1 Niamh Kelly (ADEL)

Unique breakdown other than the placement of Allen and Kelly.

5 Gould
4 Biddell
3 Conti
2 Marinoff
1 Allen/Kelly

5 Marinoff
4 Gould
3 Conti
2 Newman
1 Kelly/Allen

Interesting that one coach rated Biddell second-best while the other didn't mention her at all.
Hard to believe one of the coaches didn't rate Biddell. I thought she was one of our best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back