Review AFLW Round 1: SHOWDOWN v Port Power, Saturday 2 September, 2:35pm, Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the consensus on the Kelly tackle? Is she in trouble? It looked to me like she tried to roll her safely but the other player tried to power out and they ended up splitting the difference.
She’s gone unfortunately, AFL will look to make an impact just like they did in the first few rounds of the men’s comp, she won’t be the only one suspended this week in the league.

She’s gone unfortunately, AFL will look to make an impact just like they did in the first few rounds of the men’s comp, she won’t be the only one suspended this week in the league.
Well then there at least five sling tackles by port players too…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully EJ gets out around the ball a bit more, her aggression and speed can be damaging
Yeah relatively poorish games from 2 of the team’s most talented individuals in EJ and Ponter especially in the 1st half which made the job of those around them harder, need so much more out of them.

Ponter usually is a notorious slow starter and also likes space to work in which means Norwood Oval doesn’t suit her game. Credit to Hannah Dunn from Port though who wore her like a glove for most of the game.

Speaking of individuals liked what the inexperienced trio of Mueller, Prowse and Tonon did down back, were under pressure but had lots of important spoils, intercepts and rebound 50s. N.Allen as I mentioned during the game turned her game & the team’s around in the 3rd, still concerned about her and the teams lack of speed down there which got exposed in the 2nd quarter which is why I think Thompson has gone back but thought Stevie-Lee was woeful, got caught so often & turned into so much pressure. Her mistakes and shortcomings get amplified in that part of the ground.

Jess Allan improved in the ruck as the game went on and Matilda Scholz fatigued, thought McKinnon was not good, her positioning in ruck and around the ground totally off, think the team desperately wants/needs Gould to work as a more permanent forward but it can expose them if McKinnon becomes a weak link.

Hatchard’s composure still a bit iffy, her kicking technique looked slightly better but still got lots of issues with it also called for the ball in some poor positions too often too. Midfield’s main strength is their aerobic capacity with Marinoff, Hatchard and Charlton being amongst the best in the league which is why they got on top of Port’s more impact/burst midfield in the 2nd half, still a little too much left to too few in the midfield. Clarke still trying to make Ballard work in there but again her shortcomings exposed, lack of composure with ball in hand under pressure and exposed when there is speed around her.

Would still like R.Martin back more around the ball especially with her looking to be regaining some of her form.

Randall and Bonner’s connection up forward was a a pleasant surprise to see, credit to Clarke sticking by his guns and starting Randall up forward, both of them the only ones who seemed on the same page especially in the first half. If Randall would’ve nailed her early chances feel she would’ve had a huge game again against Port but looked like her time was managed carefully in the 2nd half and it wouldn’t surprise me if she’s still carrying something.

Yeah relatively poorish games from 2 of the team’s most talented individuals in EJ and Ponter especially in the 1st half which made the job of those around them harder, need so much more out of them.

I thought Jones was one of our best in the second half. Admittedly I didn't notice her much in the first half so perhaps she was poor then (I'm yet to watch the replay).

I thought Jones was one of our best in the second half. Admittedly I didn't notice her much in the first half so perhaps she was poor then (I'm yet to watch the replay).
Thought again she got a bit lost and just dropped out the game in the first half, the coaches aren’t helping by still being unwilling to commit to her as a forward or a winger, she got in better positions in the 2nd half and more so in the last but still 11 touches is still not nearly enough from her especially given some of those were cheapies in the last. You can probably accept that if she plays deeper and nails her chances which she again missed a couple of.

We got the win in the end, but boy were we playing lazy in the second quarter. Fumbling, bumbling our way around while Port punished us with clean possession.

It was, frankly, embarrassing, to be trailing at half time.

But this may have been the kick up the butt the girls needed as they came out firing in the second half. Their possession was much cleaner and we overpowered them as we should’ve from the outset.

Goal kicking remains an issue for us, but 18 scoring shots is positive.

Goal kicking remains an issue for us, but 18 scoring shots is positive.

Agreed, if they were one-in-ten type chances I'd question why we weren't trying to create more realistic shots on goal instear of just pinging. But most of them were simple shots. Realistically we should have won by 8+ goals.

Didn't watch the game. Had a quick look at the match report and stats. Where did Erin play? Looks like she got a bit of the ball

We got the win in the end, but boy were we playing lazy in the second quarter. Fumbling, bumbling our way around while Port punished us with clean possession.

It was, frankly, embarrassing, to be trailing at half time.
Fumbles were Ben Keays-esque in that 1st half, also hope Clarke has banned the kick into the corridor from the half back flank for the foreseeable future, was doing my head how they just continued to do that play in the 2nd quarter and turn the ball over. Daniel Harford making the point on the coverage that Norwood is so narrow you don’t need to always look for the corridor to move the ball down field efficiently.

Rusty first half and particularly poor second quarter, but responded really well and really cranked it up in the second half. The umpires clearly going to assist the newer teams wherever possible if today was an indication.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back