Review AFLW Round 1: SHOWDOWN v Port Power, Saturday 2 September, 2:35pm, Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

To use the American term we survived the 'Trap Game'. Power and remember a Round 1 game loss to Western Bulldogs. Ah 2019 Season 3 Adelaide 1-11 17 Lost WB 2-6-18

If she loves Port so much why didn't Saint switch for their first season?
She wanted those premierships and knew Port were going to be terrible in season 1.
Keen to know if there’s still friendships between Erin and our girls after the match?
I don't think there's any bad blood, just mutual respect. To be honest, I don't think Erin was super close with the girls when she was at the Crows because she was already married with kids.

Only just watched the game replay as I had to work tonight.

• Niamh Kelly was easily BOG. Her speed, her run to create the 1-2, she was just everywhere and even managed to snag a goal. She looks excellent on the wing. Well deserved medal winner.
  • Maddie Newman also had a fantastic game. Her first half was better than the second, but she created run, split the lines and has a great kick on her.
Wish we had more players who could run like Kelly and Newman. Everyone seems to be a bit slow and not able to run off their player on the mark.
  • Everyone else started slow and worked their way into the game
  • Prowse has improved a lot since last year. Her, Tonon and Mueller did alright down back.
  • Biddell was a star down back. Without Allan for majority of this season, we need Biddell to dominate.
  • Allen and Gould had good second halves after terrible first halves.
  • Bonner continued her good form from pre-season and kicked a couple good goals. Surprised at her age after we recruited her, but we just need her to kick goals and she does that.
  • Was kind of surprised that Randall was up forward. Would like to see her rotate through the middle more.
  • EJ and Ponter were quiet. EJ had a nice goal and Ponter got involved when thrown in the middle. That checkside was pretty good, despite hitting the post. She kicked that from way out over the boundary.
  • Jess Allan looked pretty good around the ground and was okay in the ruck
  • McKinnon and Ballard had terrible games - these two would be first to be dropped
  • Bit worried about that Kelly tackle, but I reckon it's harder for these women. They're not that strong and are pretty lightweight, so sometimes momentum does put you in that position. There were several Crows marks that ended with their heads being driven into the ground. There were sling tackles and others that looked just as dangerous, but they all got up and no one had concussion tests, so hopefully she gets off because we need her run.

Erin Phillips was constantly taking marks in the middle and connecting their play. Needed to shut that down more. Dowrick is going to be a star. Scholz is going to be a star. I'm glad they have Mules, because she was terrible. Foley didn't do a whole lot for them either. It must just be a Crows fans' natural hate for Port Adelaide, but there are already so many players on their team that I dislike.

I also liked how the girls sung the song not far from the Port players.

Last edited:
*ing lol - old mate on the Port board complaining about the cheerleading the crows commentary ??

was there a 5aa Rowey broadcast that he tuned into or something?
Really? I thought complete polar opposite… complained about it during the call!

A couple of people have mentioned Ballard as having a terrible game - I didn't think so. She doesn't get involved enough, for sure, but much of what she did get involved with was good.
She had some ok tackles and handballs in the forward half especially the one to set up Charlton but as what is becoming a pattern when Clarke moved her higher up the ground especially in the 2nd quarter she is just slow to react and wayward in not only her decision making but her positioning around contests.

She’s a reactionary player, she trails in behind her opponent a lot of the time almost like she’s waiting for them to make the first move and take possession & then she’ll just try to tackle them down but if her opponent has some pace and/or smarts they can just break away from her a bit too easily especially around stoppages.

When she was at Westies as a youngster she attended most stoppages & was pretty much the main clearance player, she just would only have eyes for the ball grab it and bang it on the boot not really worrying about her opponent or trying to use her legs to break away from the stoppage.

Don’t know if it’s having to play 3rd banana but she just gets a bit lost & like others just leaves it all for the alphas Hatchard and Marinoff, who do want to do it all on their own. The main issue when she attends a centre bounce is though she loses her opponent by either getting pushed/sucked into the contest or overcorrecting & standing too far behind them, it did look like at one stage Clarke tried to put her on Dowrick late in the 2nd quarter but she didn’t really get near her.

Last edited:
The vote breakdown has been released.

Liz Walsh somehow voted Hatchard as BOG ahead of Kelly :confusedv1:

the AFL website had Kelly 3rd best behind Hatchard and Marinoff - did they even watch the game or just check the stats? Mind boggling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got around to watching the replay after working yesterday. Sloppy first half, yet should have been 3-4 goals up anyway had we kicked straight. Second half we really got into our game and played it on our terms. There has to be something in the water at West Lakes to make the club wide goal kicking so terrible.

Kelly clearly our best. I don't think there's much in her tackle, but its VFL so she'll get games. Commentators were infuriating, umpiring was poor.

Hatchard had a pretty good match overall, but she is still not back at the standard she set in seasons 3-6. At least her kicking was a bit better than last season.

She and Marinoff never really have bad games. Even with Marinoff who was poor in the first half, but probably our second best in the second half.
I thought a lot of players had terrible kicking, especially in the first half. The commentators would constantly be talking about another missed target, dropped mark (which was mostly because the kicks were not placed well to begin with), or another fumble (because the handballs were short of the target thus putting pressure on the player receiving).
There was one play where Hatchy handballed it like 20+ metres and I thought, damn, her strong arms handball better than her short kicks.

I can understand why a handball has fallen short. Not all of these women have Erin Phillips' arms to be able to pinpoint a strong 15+m handpass, but the short kicking that was constantly falling short of the target looked bad and is something they need to work on.

I disagree on posters saying we played 4 rucks. Prowse is not an AFLW ruck but a KPP. SANFLW maybe as a Ruck in a short Sturt team. Remember both Hatchard & Sarah Allan were once rucks.

I disagree on posters saying we played 4 rucks. Prowse is not an AFLW ruck but a KPP. SANFLW maybe as a Ruck in a short Sturt team. Remember both Hatchard & Sarah Allan were once rucks.
Hatchy did take at least one ruck contest.

We initially played her as an undersized ruck. The question was always how we would fit her in the side given she is too talented to miss out. Defence seems to be a good fit. She's very clean in the contest and obviously a great height fir a KPP.

Absolutely stupid, but this is the stupidity the club has to put up with by not having a permanent home ground and having to play at these rotting SANFL cement bowls or local dog parks.

To be fair to the club, if it wasn’t for a handful of obnoxious NIMBY’s, they’d be a home ground being developed for us at the moment.

AFLW umpiring is just universally bad - everyone feels like their team is stiffed

was at last night's Melb v Collingwood as a neutral and was putrid umpiring both ways - except for Ray Chamberlain who i guess didn't have any other games to do this weekend

I like that they get an AFL umpire in to somewhat mentor the AFLW umps during the games.

Unfortunately for us in SA, they send Eleni, who would be more of a hindrance than a help.

*ing lol - old mate on the Port board complaining about the cheerleading the crows commentary ??

was there a 5aa Rowey broadcast that he tuned into or something?
Sweet baby Jesus I listened for five minutes in the last qtr while driving and switched it off Knowing we'd win, but couldn't stomach the Port cheerleading. WTF were those Port posters ****ing deaf or something?

Coaches votes are out:

10 - Kelly
8 - Marinoff
5 - Hatchard
3 - Dowrick
2 - Phillips
2 - Houghton

This has a unique breakdown other than being able to interchange Phillips and Houghton:

5 - Kelly
4 - Marinoff
3 - Hatchard
2 - Houghton
1 - Phillips

5 - Kelly
4 - Marinoff
3 - Dowrick
2 - Hatchard
1 - Phillips

I guess the most interesting thing to note here is that one coach had Dowrick third best, while the other didn't mention her at all.

Coaches votes are out:

10 - Kelly
8 - Marinoff
5 - Hatchard
3 - Dowrick
2 - Phillips
2 - Houghton

This has a unique breakdown other than being able to interchange Phillips and Houghton:

5 - Kelly
4 - Marinoff
3 - Hatchard
2 - Houghton
1 - Phillips

5 - Kelly
4 - Marinoff
3 - Dowrick
2 - Hatchard
1 - Phillips

I guess the most interesting thing to note here is that one coach had Dowrick third best, while the other didn't mention her at all.
I thought she was their best player.

I thought a lot of players had terrible kicking, especially in the first half. The commentators would constantly be talking about another missed target, dropped mark (which was mostly because the kicks were not placed well to begin with), or another fumble (because the handballs were short of the target thus putting pressure on the player receiving).
There was one play where Hatchy handballed it like 20+ metres and I thought, damn, her strong arms handball better than her short kicks.

I can understand why a handball has fallen short. Not all of these women have Erin Phillips' arms to be able to pinpoint a strong 15+m handpass, but the short kicking that was constantly falling short of the target looked bad and is something they need to work on.
Our second half kicks were much better... as we lowered our eyes to targets rather than bomb anywhere forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back