Review AFLW Round 8 - Brisbane v Adelaide - Saturday 21 October @ Brighton Homes Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

In almost all cases for the Martin one, the umpires will give at least a cursory "back to the line" call before paying it. Also she was right on the tip of the goalsquare, I thought that was where she was meant to be?

Which rule are we talking for Randall? She held her up for a couple of seconds without encroaching over the mark, players do that all the time.
On the Martin one - Around the ground you're right. But when it's in that area of the field, and it's drilled into players (mark is set at the top of the square) if a player goes an inch over the top of the square they'll get pinged since that got brought in. She went over by a foot. If that wasn't paid a 50 I'd have blown a sigh of relief as it should have been a 50 every day of the week.

On the Randall one, it used to get done all day every day, but the rule was changed a few years back to stop players slowing down play. If you hold it up, it should be paid 50 instantly. If it's jump on the mark, arm out to block a handball to player, they'll let it go. But that was holding them up outright. The AFL has pinged that for years, if it wasn't paid, again, I would've blown a sigh of relief going, thank **** these are state league umpires who don't have the AFL expectations drilled into them.

I thought they did it to stop congestion near the boundary? I don't think all the boundary umps are necessarily women either?
They do, though, 1 ump forgot to in our game though. A boundary ump threw it in from the point post (left end, broadcast side).

I'd drop Thompson and Munyard to bring in Kustermann and Bonner

Would not bother with Whiteley, Varnhagen, Ward, those types

Goodwin the 21st selected and I'd look for a role change, maybe a bit further up the ground. She's showing glimpses but not enough.

McKinnon can warm the spot for Sarah Allan.

B Mueller - Biddell
HB Prowse - Randall - Tonon

R J Allan - Marinoff - Hatchard
C Newman - Levy - Kelly

HF Martin - Ponter - Jones
F Bonner - Gould

I Charlton - Waterhouse - Kustermann - McKinnon - Goodwin

Heading into finals the early replacement candidates would be Allan for McKinnon and Allen for Goodwin
I was at game and there is a lot you dont see on tv. The defensive actions of young Sarah Goodwin off the contest are elite. Goodwin took it on herself to pick up Hodder when Goodwin came of bench in first and 2nd qtrs. Goodwin started 3td and 4th qtr on feild and went straight to Hodder. When she was on feild Goodwin wore her like a glove and matched her in pace, Hodder tried her hardest to shake her particulArly around contests but didnt succeed. Brisbane even had other forwards up at 50m arc to to isolate Hodder and her opponent and take advantage of Hodders pace in the open space but young Goodwin didnt give her an inch. I watched replay again and when Goodwin on her Hodder had 1 mark, 2 kicks and a point. For a 19 year old to take on that responsibility and nullify arguably the best small forward in comp and someone who starred in 2022 Lions prelim final win over Crows is outstanding. Goodwin might not be getting the huge posessions that gets in SANFLW but she hasnt lowered her colours over a whole game to any direct opponent yet this season. She appears to be the quickest by far of the crows small defenders, so not sure who picks up the speedsters like Hodder if Goodwin not on feild. I hear she has middle distance running background and that shows in her running up and down the field which largely has not been rewarded. She nearly got the ultimate reward after running 120 metres to get on the end of a crows forward movement in last qtr but just couldnt finish it off. But not many players couldve put in that running effort late in a game in that heat and who knows what affect fatigue from that running effort had on her kick. When Brisbane forwards ran amok and had loose forwards everywhere in first few minutes of second qtr Goodwin was on bench, so maybe they missed her pace and defensive discipline.

Coaches votes are in, the same five players picked by both coaches but with a slightly different order

10 Ally Anderson (BL)
7 Sophie Conway (BL)
6 Niamh Kelly (ADEL)
5 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
2 Isabel Dawes (BL)

So that's a unique breakdown:

5 Anderson
4 Conway
3 Marinoff
2 Kelly
1 Dawes

5 Anderson
4 Kelly
3 Conway
2 Marinoff
1 Dawes

Can't believe I didn't see Hatchard til the fourth 1/4. Whoever played on her, give that or those girls a bonus!
She started ok but was just reflective of the rest of the midfield in the 2nd quarter and just disappeared, she does get into the habit of just hanging off the pack and waiting for some first receiver ball and watched Anderson, Conway and Dawes go in and get the ball out instead.

Can’t be blamed for a quiet-ish 2nd half though, she got injured after getting punched in the face in a marking contest up forward (no free kick 🙄) and having to go off for a long time to also do the concussion test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back