Review AFLW Round 8 - Brisbane v Adelaide - Saturday 21 October @ Brighton Homes Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Brisbane v Adelaide
Saturday 21 October
2:35pm Adelaide time/2:05pm Brisbane time
Brighton Homes Arena

Results went as expected last week, with both sides notching up solid wins.

We've conquered Melbourne away, can we conquer Brisbane away?

Brisbane v Adelaide
Saturday 21 October
2:35pm Adelaide time/2:05pm Brisbane time
Brighton Homes Arena

Results went as expected last week, with both sides notching up solid wins.

We've conquered Melbourne away, can we conquer Brisbane away?
I certainly hope so! Will be my first game for the girls live this year, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Really important that we convert this one into a win. We did manage to win over Melbourne, but it came on the back of Hatchard/Marinoff having just about career-best games. Brisbane have been a touch off their usual best this season but have been starting to get it together as of late.

Melbourne play North this week, so a win for us puts us more than a game clear of third spot. With West Coast to play next week, that should be enough to lock in a top two spot.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?

Round 6 • Melbourne v Adelaide Crows
Saturday 7 October 2023 • 2:35 PM (GMT+10:30)
@ CASEY FIELDSMelbourne

Getting my weeks mixed up! You're correct, of course. I was also wrong about us playing West Coast next week (we play them in round 10). In my defence, I'm just recovering from a gastro at the moment and am completely wiped :oops:

I've just sent an email to the club. Very disappointed with their comms re AFLW this year. Last year members received weekly emails advising when tickets went on sale, game time etc. and this year hardly a peep. Reckon I've had two emails and both to do with the showdown. We are undefeated coming into round 8 of a 10 week competition and they should be hyping us all up. Lost opportunities here. Very disappointing.

I've just sent an email to the club. Very disappointed with their comms re AFLW this year. Last year members received weekly emails advising when tickets went on sale, game time etc. and this year hardly a peep. Reckon I've had two emails and both to do with the showdown. We are undefeated coming into round 8 of a 10 week competition and they should be hyping us all up. Lost opportunities here. Very disappointing.

Agreed. Member communication from the club has been non-existent since the end of the mens season (except to sell tickets to the mens B&F). Even the 'CEO/chair notes' that used to be emailed to members before going out to the media have ceased.

Agreed. Member communication from the club has been non-existent since the end of the mens season (except to sell tickets to the mens B&F). Even the 'CEO/chair notes' that used to be emailed to members before going out to the media have ceased.
Just sent a text to Tim. Hopefully we'll get a response.

I ordered a membership for my dad (who lives in Victoria) before the season started and they still haven't sent him his membership pack.

Only got an email advising of the issue last week, more than half way into the season
Was this an AFLW membership pack?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, interesting selection question this week. Ballard and Allen both definite outs, you'd imagine that will be all but Munyard wasn't exactly impressive either last week.

Presumably Tonon will come back in, but who else? The only other available players that the Crows have played so far this season are Whiteley and Varnhagen. It's possible they'll go back to that well - they did last time Allen was out - but hopefully they've learned their lesson.

The most recent emergency list had Levy, Tonon and Kustermann. Given that Ballard is a midfielder, Levy would seem the obvious option to replace her although Kustermann could play that role too.

In injury news, it's now looking more likely that Sarah Allan will be back for round 10 or even the first final, rather than round 9, which is a shame given we've got North in round 9. Still, a player missing most the season and then returning in round 10 to play an important role in a premiership does have shades of Chelsea Randall in season 6...

The response from the Club:

Tim has forwarded your email for me to respond to. Thank you for reaching out and my apologies that you haven’t found information as easily accessible this season.

When tickets to all 2023 matches went on sale at the start of the season, we sent out communications regarding our member priority pre-sale in August as well as messaging in our weekly game day guide for most matches. There will be another team selection email this Thursday too pointing to the game on Saturday.

Like in Season 7 (2022), in 2023, all AFLW access members can attend home and away matches by scanning the barcode on the mobile membership card in the Adelaide Crows Official App.

We’re also super excited for the team to be playing so well too – hopefully they can get over the line on Saturday.

Please let me know if I can assist any further.

Kind regards

Anna

emaillogo_0fe8f361-e426-4d6c-8299-145a18fe3cc3.gif
Anna Muecke
General Manager Consumer

I get the weekly changes email

This will be an interesting match, hard to judge Brisbane as they’ve changed their game style to be a bit more less expansive to accommodate who they’re now missing, proved effective against a strong team like North down in Tassie but hampered them against Richmond & Collingwood at home, Starcevich always has something planed for Doc Clarke though. Also still have usual Crows nemeses Anderson & Conway that can cause issues in the middle, pantomime villain Davidson as well who roams around marking everything also the captain Koenen down back always seems to step up against the Crows & cut off a lot of the attack in these games.

Mueller will also have her work cut out against Hodder again after she struggled in last year’s prelim against her, the team only kicked 3 goals in that prelim so will be interesting to see if the changes implemented with the ball movement this season can take effect against that Lions defence.

Also do always think scheduling afternoon games in Queensland given the time of year the AFLW is played isn’t exactly a high IQ decision by the AFL.

This will be an interesting match, hard to judge Brisbane as they’ve changed their game style to be a bit more less expansive to accommodate who they’re now missing, proved effective against a strong team like North down in Tassie but hampered them against Richmond & Collingwood at home, Starcevich always has something planed for Doc Clarke though. Also still have usual Crows nemeses Anderson & Conway that can cause issues in the middle, pantomime villain Davidson as well who roams around marking everything also the captain Koenen down back always seems to step up against the Crows & cut off a lot of the attack in these games.

Mueller will also have her work cut out against Hodder again after she struggled in last year’s prelim against her, the team only kicked 3 goals in that prelim so will be interesting to see if the changes implemented with the ball movement this season can take effect against that Lions defence.

Also do always think scheduling afternoon games in Queensland given the time of year the AFLW is played isn’t exactly a high IQ decision by the AFL.

I reckon Starcevich will have had this game circled on the calendar for several weeks now. This is their opportunity to climb back into the pack, or else fall behind definitively.

At least we don't have to worry about Lutkins carving us up again like in 2021.

To be fair, our issue against them last season wasn't holding them to a respectable score, it was finding a way to score ourselves. Fingers crossed things will be different this time around.

I reckon Starcevich will have had this game circled on the calendar for several weeks now. This is their opportunity to climb back into the pack, or else fall behind definitively.

At least we don't have to worry about Lutkins carving us up again like in 2021.

To be fair, our issue against them last season wasn't holding them to a respectable score, it was finding a way to score ourselves. Fingers crossed things will be different this time around.
Thankfully, we have a much more dynamic forward line now with Gould/Jones/Ponter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back