Review AFLW Round 10 - West Coast v Adelaide - Saturday 4 November @ Mineral Resources Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Our parklands are such wasted potential. Just acres of brown, dead grass which goes to no reasonable use. Imagine if we had a progressive culture which actually accepted good use for them.

Look at Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne as cities that actually know how to use their parks properly.
Totally agree.

The youth only just show slight glimpses don’t they, Smith with that long kick to Gould and Kustermann with that speed and run through from the wing. They just can’t seem to back it up with any multiple good efforts right at the moment.

Harsh but that was slightly poor from Ponter to let that ball bounce before, it’s something she does do a bit that gets her in slight trouble, she always lets the ball bounce rather than go for the mark.

Interesting how Clarke reads this, whether he just rights off the game as there has been some regulars who haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory today.

Last couple of games I've watched we've seemed completely unable to get the ball out of defence.
No run from defence, need to sort that out… not alone but Goodwin has been an issue back there providing very little, seems to have hit a gigantic wall. With Allen back next week should be first dropped.

Kustermann certainly has something, she just can’t get near it enough at this level yet unfortunately, can argue that others have been selected in front of her when they probably should have taken the youth route and looked to play her instead. She hasn’t played near as many games as she should have to this stage.

I only watched from late third quarter, but WC were completely dominant. They were the only ones trying and seemed to be running with the ball and outnumbering with the ball throughout. We were either caught or butchered the ball on most occasions.

I will give an exemption to our No. 20, who actually looked to be trying and demonstrating run and good ball handling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EJ was put at full back in the final minutes. Noffy, Newman, Martin and McKinnon were good. Bonner bounced back. Ponter was great in the midfield. Gould, EJ and Kelly were down.

Crows played poorly, but it was extremely hot and we were missing many of our regulars.

I only watched from late third quarter, but WC were completely dominant. They were the only ones trying and seemed to be running with the ball and outnumbering with the ball throughout. We were either caught or butchered the ball on most occasions.

I will give an exemption to our No. 20, who actually looked to be trying and demonstrating run and good ball handling.
Munyard is on the fringe, so needed to prove herself to keep her spot when the regulars return next week.

Thought Munyard played pretty well after her usual indifferent start, thought far too many senior players were just picking and choosing their moments to go and not go and that’s not just isolated to this game, Charlton (again), Jones & Newman among them.

Tonon won’t make it at this level if she doesn’t sort out her poor ability below her knees, she’s not even a tall player yet as soon as the ball is at ground level she’s worse than McKinnon… speaking of which I’m still not sure of McKinnon’s future in the team/at the club, 35 hit outs and complete domination in the ruck and 15 disposals (the most she’s had) yet thought her hitouts were just poorly directed and as usual her execution by hand and foot horrible.

Last edited:
The girls followed instructions to the letter………

I am assuming the instructions were “just do enough to win”.
Looked like it when playing. We flicked the switch for a bit when it looked like it was going to be a real danger game but did what we has to do.

Good on the Eagles though for looking sharp, that was probably their best they've looked this year.

Was out today so only just got to watch the match. Bit of a garbage match really, good to get the win, and apparently the minor premiership! Shame that our "reward" for that is to get to play Brisbane next week :(

Most of the team looked to be putting in about 75% effort for most of the game. Fair enough given the conditions, but it's dangerous to try to flip the switch off and back on like that. We'll need to be much better next week. So many times there our defenders were just trailing after West Coast players who seemed to be running on top of the ground. Were they just that much fitter/faster than us, or did we just not care that much? 45 points against is our second-highest score condeded this season (46 against Melbourne), and conceding 15 scoring shots is also our second worst outcome of the season (17 against Brisbane). West Coast played pretty well, but they shouldn't be doing that against us.

One interesting factor in the match was seeing if the incoming players would put their hands up for more regular spots. Bonner doesn't really count since she had played every match she was available for before that. She's so frustrating to me, an "almost" player who does some good things but also some terrible things. Varnhagen tried her guts out and used her physicality well, but I still think she's not best 21. The other ins didn't really fire a shot. Tonon nearly invisible, Smith ineffective, Kustermann constantly in the wrong position, and Whiteley with a very Lisa Whiteley game, taking a few nice marks and offering nothing else.

Anyway - onto another finals series! It's in our hands now... we can win a fourth premiership without leaving the state if we're good enough!

Edit: And while we're at it, that's our fourth minor premiership as well, pretty damn impressive!

Last edited:
cmndstab who’d a thought Varnhagen was that Thompson replacement, she is looking like a different player 😮

Definitely the best game she's played in a long time. I guess she was probably playing for her career. Of the six ins today, she was probably the best, but given they will likely retain Bonner, I don't think she will make the side next week unless there is an injury. At least she showed she can come in and play a role, which is more than you would have thought after her previous match.

Meanwhile, your girl Taylah Levy has definitely shown she belongs. She has a lovely handball, which is good considering she went at 1 kick, 14 handballs today!

Last edited:
We clearly didn't take that game full throttle. Turned it on for 5 minutes in the 2nd then just did what they had to do.
There was no way we were going to catch Melbournes percentage. We didnt need to win but its always nice to win. We had some of our champs out. We expected Melbourne to win. So Iam guessing that the girls were instructed to simply win the game without stretching ourselves in that heat. As it turned out Melbourne didnt win and the bonus was we ended up winning the minor premiership. Now we need to regroup and beat Brisbane. We wont just be getting back our rested players but we will also have Allen available as well.

Definitely the best game she's played in a long time. I guess she was probably playing for her career. Of the six ins today, she was probably the best, but given they will likely retain Bonner, I don't think she will make the side next week unless there is an injury. At least she showed she can come in and play a role, which is more than you would have thought after her previous match.

Meanwhile, your girl Taylah Levy has definitely shown she belongs. She has a lovely handball, which is good considering she went at 1 kick, 14 handballs today!
Yeah but I’m a stupid unnecessary hard marker so was just a little disappointed as thought she would step it up a bit more this game given she was naturally going to get more game time then she had previously & her previous games were against 2 of the best midfields in the league.

Just lacked the confidence to take responsibility to find targets downfield with a her kick which certainly looks technically wise better then some she was handpassing it off to, also definitely could’ve taken more time when she got ball in hand to break away from congestion, hopefully that comes with more experience. Like you see in the likes of Goodwin, Tonon and Kustermann just lacking that swagger/confindence she had at SANFLW level.

Sometimes it’s hard to remember just how inexperienced these younger players really are in AFLW, you sometimes want to judge them harshly on parts of the game that they really need to work on especially in Goodwin & Tonon’s case as they’ve had more exposure at the top level but then you look at their age and they’re 19/20, babies in footballing/athlete terms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back