Review AFLW Round 2: Adelaide v Richmond. Friday 8 September @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent win. The male commentator was crushed.

Our next gen players are looking good and Kelly is a fantastic pick up.
How did we manage that? Did she just leave West Coast because they are terrible? Either way, good get by the club to target a need for speed on the wings.

Excellent win. The male commentator was crushed.

Our next gen players are looking good and Kelly is a fantastic pick up.
Even the majority of our best players - Eb, Hatch, Biddell, Allan, Jones, Gould, Ponter - are all only like 24/25. It's exciting to think how many more years of this core group we get to enjoy!

Last edited:
Noffy was probably our best player, but her disposal is still questionable. That shank kick which she marked herself was terrible.
Ponter kicked goal of the year and was great at CBAs. Bounced back from quiet game last week.
Gould was fantastic in the ruck and up forward. Back to her best.
Kelly, Newman, Charlton and Hatchy continued their good form.
Allan also did a great job on a smaller ruck and used her body well to win the ruck contests.
Tonon did nothing all game, but was fantastic in the last quarter.
Mueller was fantastic in first quarter and did nothing for the rest of the game. Did see her on Greiser who is twice her size.
Prowse had a good third quarter.
Randall was quiet in her 50th. Played on ball, but didn't do much.

Mon Conti is a star! Charlton did her best, but you can't stop her.
Seymour was marking everything down back for Richmond.

Had to watch it on delay.

Very good win, Richmond drank some bathwater after last week and the Crows just smashed them up on the inside mainly thanks to a virtuoso performance from Marinoff.

Once umps stopped handing out non-frees frees to Richmond they didn’t look like scoring for another couple of quarters on top of the 3 they didn’t score in tonight, all pretty much played well, defence was the standout though; Prowse coming into her own as it seems every tall defender in this team eventually does, Biddell brilliant, Mueller again another coming on strong.

Gould strong up forward and holding on to most of her marks now, her being a strong main focal target actually has a two fold effect with crumbers actually gathering around her which means if the ball isn’t marked there’s actually players there at her feet to at least lock up the ball inside the forward 50, something this team has struggled with.

The ability to lock the ball in the forward half was the best this team has done for a while, the high press especially in the 3rd when against the wind worked a treat as Clarke smashed his opposition number tactically, thought Mon Conti just played a selfish game, had 10 clearances and did nothing with them, don’t think it had much to do with Clarke chucking Ballard on to tag her, Ballard was better tonight, better at sticking by her opponent then when they tried it against Dowrick last week but just think they played Conti to her ego & she got sucked in to trying to outdo Marinoff and tried to do it all by herself.

Ponter better for the run last week and was consistently dangerous, but do feel Norwood Oval is her kryptonite and once allowed space like on an oval like Ikon Park tonight she excels, the fact with the way the team move the ball currently allows for more contributors other then it just being Marinoff & Hatchard is almost the biggest positive so far after these first 2 games, Newman - 19 disposals, Kelly - 18 and Charlton - 17 whilst not as influential as last week still are getting a lot more of the ball.

Jess Allan is a completely different player than I even remember seeing her being earlier this year at SANFLW level, confidence levels through the roof, rucking to start the game was class, her ground level work and contribution in possession chains through the midfield was so influential. Amazing what Clarke can do with Rucks that aren’t named Reilly…

Only issues was they probably again wasted some opportunities in front of goal didn’t hurt tonight but you just know it will at some stage , Thompson still a big worry, has never been great in slippery conditions but again just so confused & fumbly, worried her form won’t recover at this stage of her career, Goodwin still struggling to adapt to the speed of the level compared to the SANFLW, wish Martin could be played more around the ball, kicked an important goal and went in hard around contests but again only 5 disposals.

Hamstring for Najwa Allen unfortunate as conditions suited her and she had continued her renaissance from halftime last week.

Hamstring for Najwa Allen unfortunate as conditions suited her and she had continued her renaissance from halftime last week.

I didn't realise she had done one. That's really disappointing, she was probably playing the best game I'd seen her play.

I only just got finished watching it on delay, with an hour break in the middle to put the kids to bed. Pretty complete performance from the Crows. The umpiring in the first half might have actually been the worst performance I've ever seen, although the GF against Melbourne comes to mind...

Excellent performances from Marinoff, Gould, Biddell, Prowse, and strong performances from most other players. Jess Allan has been so much better than I expected coming into this year. Randall her usual courageous self, Hatchard good as always, Ponter dangerous. I thought Ballard had one of her best games, too. Newman classy. Kelly down on last week but still handy, she's got so much pace and looked really dangerous in Q1.

I agree that Goodwin just isn't quite there at the moment, and SLT is below her standards from last year. Tonon was quiet too although had a decent Q4. Waterhouse was alright, played her role but not dominant. Bonner was well held today. I wonder if Munyard will come in for one of them? Or perhaps McKinnon finds her way back in the side?

Keeping a side scoreless for three quarters is pretty damn impressive in the end. Richmond aren't a bad side, either. Shades of season 6? We look very fit this season.

Happy to start the season 2-0 :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gould is a surprisingly good kick for goal. I remember last year she was 50-50 whenever it was more than around 15m out from goal, but her kicking tonight was quality. Hopefully she's been practicing over the off-season.

11 Richmond players with 5 disposals or less. That's more than half the side! Really highlights the difference in depth between the two teams.

Just double-checking on this, are you sure? I didn't hear anything on the telecast, and the womens.afl website has no injuries listed. Is it possible you just heard the commentators talking about Sarah Allan's hamstring and thought they were talking about Najwa?

Edit: Ah, just saw the post on AFC.com.au. Hard to say how severe it is at this stage, hopefully just precautionary because she's in form right now.

AFLW: Post-game injury update Round Two

Only two scores, even! To be fair, the one against Marinoff spilled out to Conti anyway. But yes, the umpiring in that first half had me tearing my hair out. Some of them were absolutely baffling.

i thought that at the time - but just saw a replay, the Crows stop when the ump calls the whistle and Conti gets a freebie with zero pressure

Just double-checking on this, are you sure? I didn't hear anything on the telecast, and the womens.afl website has no injuries listed. Is it possible you just heard the commentators talking about Sarah Allan's hamstring and thought they were talking about Najwa?

At the end of the game I saw someone in a training shirt and hobbling but it was the otherside of ground so couldn't tell who it was

someone looked injured though

edit:
confirmed

AFLW: Post-game injury update Round Two

Gould is a surprisingly good kick for goal. I remember last year she was 50-50 whenever it was more than around 15m out from goal, but her kicking tonight was quality. Hopefully she's been practicing over the off-season.

11 Richmond players with 5 disposals or less. That's more than half the side! Really highlights the difference in depth between the two teams.
I’ve always thought she was one of the teams better kicks for goal it’s just an awkward looking style with a more 2 handed drop but drops it straight. Agree she actually probably shouldn’t be as good a kick as she is considering she transitioned over from volleyball rather late.

Good win and the hardest thing in first half was to beat the umpiring ..
Love the growth of Gould over last 2 years and offers a real target and want to see more of that lead that was taken off her.
Looked to me that Clarke has put more emphasis on handball trying to get players free into space .
Not working totally well yet but when does going to dominate games especially lesser teams.
Talk positive about Biddell and Ponder as the stars they are and Charlton and Gould growth and Marino endeavour .
But why SLT and my favourite Jones going backwards and know get criticised but what in the hell over last 2 years happened to Hatchard gone from by far best player in league to a average player at best .

How did we manage that? Did she just leave West Coast because they are terrible? Either way, good get by the club to target a need for speed on the wings.

We were apparently one of the clubs courting her back in 2019, when she decided to go to West Coast along with her sister Grace Kelly.

Both of them ended up leaving at the same time (Grace went to St Kilda) so presumably they just decided it was time to move on, and Kelly remembered us from our previous interest.

Random thoughts:

Story of the game was that we had enough periods where we stopped fumbling it and turning it over to win it.

• Really impressed with Gould and her evolution. Great forward of the ball, marking target - and great taps in the Ruck. Two weeks in a row really strong at this.
  • Prowse - not really sold on her. Some really strong defensive efforts, but at least 3 absolute howlers of turnovers by foot, under not much pressure, straight to a Richmond player. Handballs to the oppo as well while under pressure.
  • EJ and Ponter - given both are so talented, I know why we have them around the goal face, but I feel like we need to make moves to get them more involved in general. Was really happy to see Ponter with 2 center bounce attendances in Q2. One of them for THAT goal. Will be goal of the year.
  • Umpring was bizarre, massive home ground umpiring, baffling decisions out of nowhere and coin flips to see which side gets it. Richond favoured hugely, but then in Q3 the free kick to Ponter (cos Kelly got slightly pushed by Conti after kicking it) and the hold on EJ were soft and possibly made up for it. EJ goaled.
  • Hatchy seems a bit off? Not getting into those link plays and not physically dominating. Noffy is though. Tackled everything near her. Noffy looks less heavy? Fitter?
  • Kelly is a gun, not sure where we are playing her though. Outside Midish, wing? We fumbled so bloody much we couldn't get it to her as much as last week.
  • I like Randall back, but she seemed to be really deep and out of the play. Then forward at the end.
  • It was good to tag Conti. I guess it was effective? Felt like she had a strong game anyway. Imagine what she'd have done without the tag!
  • The twinsies confuse me. Similar body shapes and hair. Kelly and Newman look similar. Charlton and Tonon. I need the camera to get in closer so I can see a number or a face.
  • Seems like we've got a few players who can kick a long ball now - good to see this evolution from the early years.
  • Did we only put Tonon on in the last quarter? Pretty good quarter from her.
  • In the last quarter Martin got tackled and it wasn't a high tackle. Happened twice. Amazing!

• Prowse - not really sold on her. Some really strong defensive efforts, but at least 3 absolute howlers of turnovers by foot, under not much pressure, straight to a Richmond player. Handballs to the oppo as well while under pressure.

I'm the opposite, very much sold on Prowse. She's very clean below her knees for a tall and has some class. Pretty quick, too. Yes she can turn it over by foot at times but that is true of most AFLW players.

As a defender, I generally feel confident when the ball is in her area that she's likely to either win the contest or nullify it, as opposed to say, Ward or Whiteley where I just assumed their opponents would get the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back