Review AFLW Round 1: SHOWDOWN v Port Power, Saturday 2 September, 2:35pm, Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't watch the game. Had a quick look at the match report and stats. Where did Erin play? Looks like she got a bit of the ball
She played well, especially in the 2nd quarter when Port surged, probably contributed the most she can do these days. Speaking of Port couldn’t believe it took until halfway through the 3rd for them to put Ewings permanently into the middle, dumb play.

The AFL stuffed up by having too many teams too quickly.

Should have left it at 10 teams for years, let the talent come through.
Should've expanded as the talent required

2017 probably should've started with the original 8 PLUS North Melbourne and Geelong

2019 probably should've brought in West Coast and Gold Coast

2020 probably should've been Port Adelaide and St Kilda

Richmond, Hawthorn, Essendon and Sydney probably shouldn't be in yet.

(I hate including Port Adelaide and holding Richmond out considering Richmond actually wanted in, and Port only did it because they FINALLY realised they needed to be in as not having a team was holding them back - But the success of Adelaide really catapulted womens footy in the state to the point they needed to bring them in to allow the girls to play at the top level. Money isn't there yet to let them go full time, so need to go part time and close to home so SA needed Port.)

Bit of a brain fart from the club to ban chairs from the ground today, and not advertise it until Weslo started enforcing it at the game (and Weslo being Weslo made sure they were throwing their weight around).

It was an unnecessary ban, given most people just sat on the terraces anyway.

Bit of deja vu with the gloved up Port Schultz.
1UK7.gif

It’s Scholz…
33ca3489-491e-4af7-abaa-3efb4cfe0d77_text.gif

It’s amazing when the AFL makes up rules just for you the quality of player you can get.

She played well, especially in the 2nd quarter when Port surged, probably contributed the most she can do these days. Speaking of Port couldn’t believe it took until halfway through the 3rd for them to put Ewings permanently into the middle, dumb play.
I think she played well because she was basically left completely alone to do what she wanted. She may be cooked physically, but she still has nous.

Bit of a brain fart from the club to ban chairs from the ground today, and not advertise it until Weslo started enforcing it at the game (and Weslo being Weslo made sure they were throwing their weight around).

It was an unnecessary ban, given most people just sat on the terraces anyway.
Absolutely stupid, but this is the stupidity the club has to put up with by not having a permanent home ground and having to play at these rotting SANFL cement bowls or local dog parks.

Agreed. Yet she made their best players! :oops:
To be fair, she did kick half of their goals. Just forgot to turn up for the second half.

It was a very Woodland performance to be honest. Made the difficult look easy, the easy look difficult, and then vanished when the pressure went up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, she did kick half of their goals. Just forgot to turn up for the second half.

It was a very Woodland performance to be honest. Made the difficult look easy, the easy look difficult, and then vanished when the pressure went up.
It was a warm day - maybe she overheated from having her Port guernsey hidden under her other Port guernsey?

Seemed like a reasonable crowd (just watched the highlights)

Could't agree more, the sooner we get a home ground the better

Also had a quick look at thread on the other board. They seem salty af about the umpiring. Anything in that?

$10 (or $12 by the time Ticketmaster takes their cut)
That's good. I remember the first couple of games I went to were free. Then they brought in the gold coin ($2) entry

Haven't been to a game for while. In fact the last 1 was the GF vs Carlton at AO

It is actually amazing how much the games have improved in a relatively short period of time. Particularly considering the expansion in the competition

That's good. I remember the first couple of games I went to were free. Then they brought in the gold coin ($2) entry

Haven't been to a game for while. In fact the last 1 was the GF vs Carlton at AO

It is actually amazing how much the games have improved in a relatively short period of time. Particularly considering the expansion in the competition

It was still free entry all the way until either 2021 or 2022, I forget which. Been $10 a game since then.

Kids still get in free, though. There were heaps of them there today which is fantastic to see.

Also had a quick look at thread on the other board. They seem salty af about the umpiring. Anything in that?
AFLW umpiring is just universally bad - everyone feels like their team is stiffed

was at last night's Melb v Collingwood as a neutral and was putrid umpiring both ways - except for Ray Chamberlain who i guess didn't have any other games to do this weekend

We got the best of the umpiring in the first half. They got the best of it in the second half.

Overall the standard of umpiring was poor. You know what it's like - when it's bad you mainly notice the ones against you.

Seemed like a reasonable crowd (just watched the highlights)

Could't agree more, the sooner we get a home ground the better

They're the ultimate victims aren't they? Poor Port Power. Free kicks 22-21. Lost by 30. They're just not very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back