Review AFLW Round 7 - Adelaide v Western Bulldogs @ Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

It looked like an unlikely way for Abbie to do an ACL. Fractured knee cap?

I don’t know if Norwood is much of an advantage for us. Our defence seems to get caught out of position a lot more at Norwood compared to Unley.
It was odd, looked like the first player banged her knee, and that was the injury, with the player she rolled on top of not really twisting it.

Ballard was obviously making a bit of noise, must be serious, even if it's not an ACL.

F8UEHE9bYAAzGEo.jpg

Is there a reason you're so hot on her? Did you get to see her play at local level?
Yeah watched her games for South when she played, she has ‘it’ as a sportsperson, has that quick decision making most Basketballers have but really backed that decision making on-field despite not playing for years but what impressed me most was how natural her skills are I had doubts as being away from the game but her reading of the ball in the air and her hands are elite, was also interesting to watch as she’d just parachuted herself into the team but just wanted the ball all the time and wanted to be the main prime mover for South.

Can see a little bit of that in the short highlight posted by the SANFL

Also dominated in the NBL1 recently, so who knows how long she’ll be with the code, would like to see if she could do a Mon Conti.

Najwa Allen given her record is also a fair chance to miss next week through suspension for her ‘bump’ that concussed the Bulldog player in the 1st qtr, will be a big blow.

3-6 months with a kneecap. Let’s hope it’s that. She seemed in all sorts of pain, plus the ice on the knee (again, unusual for an ACL) and ACL's are often initially painful but that passes quite quickly.
Yeah I thought the pain she was clearly in didn’t match with a ACL

I thought she’d broken her leg when I first saw it

Kneecap sounds about right

I know you hope for the best but it’s not a knee cap, it’s a classic ACL, she does it when her left foot plants before the Bulldog player makes contact.

IMG_3055.jpeg

That immediate pain after you hear the pop is just excruciating for a few minutes (you never want to feel anything like it again) then it just goes numb, was a classic ACL pain reaction.

Really have to feel for Ballard. She was really working well in the midfield this year. Fingers crossed she comes through this okay.

Kelly is fast becoming our most damaging player with her ability to run and carry. Love that she can find an extra gear when she needs it.

EJ is by far my favourite player but damn she will end someone one day. Absolute wrecking ball that girl.

Mueller and Prowse are getting better each game. Both are so hard at it and always find a way to impact the contest. Also helps that they are generally good ball users. Biddell is not having her usual impact but hopefully with the return of Allan (soon?) she can go back to doing what she does best and not have to mind the most damaging forward.

Munyard looked a lot better behind the ball. I still think we wouldnt lose anything by swapping her with with another player though.

I love what Newman does well but she is beginning to frustrate with the way she avoids body contact at times. It is becoming more obvious when she refuses to bee-line the ball.

We seem to have a better balance this year with a bit of speed at all areas of the ground. Love what I am seeing from the girls and the way they are going about it.

I know you hope for the best but it’s not a knee cap, it’s a classic ACL, she does it when her left foot plants before the Bulldog player makes contact.

View attachment 1830736

That immediate pain after you hear the pop is just excruciating for a few minutes (you never want to feel anything like it again) then it just goes numb, was a classic ACL pain reaction.
She was in excruciating pain a lot longer than the initial few minutes though. AND they iced her knee. You don't normally see that after an ACL.

She was in excruciating pain a lot longer than the initial few minutes though. AND they iced her knee. You don't normally see that after an ACL.
Pain hits everyone differently it would’ve been exacerbated by immediately thinking this is an ACL, this is my season over, this is 12 months out of the game. It’s not unusual to have ice on the knee of a suspected ACL as you do want the initial swelling to go down before scans.

Najwa Allen given her record is also a fair chance to miss next week through suspension for her ‘bump’ that concussed the Bulldog player in the 1st qtr, will be a big blblow.
That would be a shame, she played very well again today. Even looked quick which is not what I'd normally say about her! But just reads the play quicker than other players do.

Thanks for the clip on Levy, fingers crossed she gets a chance at some stage and holds onto it. After all, at this stage last season Mueller hadn't yet debuted and now she's become a mainstay.

Really have to feel for Ballard. She was really working well in the midfield this year. Fingers crossed she comes through this okay.

Kelly is fast becoming our most damaging player with her ability to run and carry. Love that she can find an extra gear when she needs it.

EJ is by far my favourite player but damn she will end someone one day. Absolute wrecking ball that girl.

Mueller and Prowse are getting better each game. Both are so hard at it and always find a way to impact the contest. Also helps that they are generally good ball users. Biddell is not having her usual impact but hopefully with the return of Allan (soon?) she can go back to doing what she does best and not have to mind the most damaging forward.

Munyard looked a lot better behind the ball. I still think we wouldnt lose anything by swapping her with with another player though.

I love what Newman does well but she is beginning to frustrate with the way she avoids body contact at times. It is becoming more obvious when she refuses to bee-line the ball.

We seem to have a better balance this year with a bit of speed at all areas of the ground. Love what I am seeing from the girls and the way they are going about it.
Newman is a classic winger. She looks like she weighs about 55kg, so avoiding body contact might be in her best interest.

Newman's role seems to be to get in space wherever possible so she can be an attacking weapon. Yes, every now and then you're one-out and have to go, but most of the time her job is to be an outlet option for someone else.
Players playing to their strengths.
How good was Kelly's extraction and 180 turn out of the contest to dish the ball out. Impressive! She's easily our most improved player this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah get the frustration at times with Newman but you just have to take the positive/point of difference stuff she provides compared to most others and turn a little bit of a blind eye to some other questionable things, it’s just simply not part of her game as you can tell with how she plays she’s gone from juniors to seniors always being the best kick in the team & like cmndstab said has always been used as the outlet option either down back or now on the wing.

She is perhaps lucky the team has so many players who are elite at crashing in for the contested ground ball as otherwise her deficiencies would be more glaringly exposed like a Sholl in the men’s team.

I see more of an issue with her becoming more heavily instructed to handball more as that’s taking away a bit from the main strength of her game.

I see more of an issue with her becoming more heavily instructed to handball more as that’s taking away a bit from the main strength of her game.

The whole team seemed handball-happy this evening. Players like Biddell and Newman were handballing way more often than they normally would.

I assume the intention was to use handball to cut through the Bulldogs congestion. But the way you do that is either handballing out of congestion, or a handballing to a running player who can cut through it. Instead, we just kept handballing inside the congestion and the pressure caused us to fumble.

Looks to me like the Crows have added more-than-a-pinch of AFLWMelbourne's running game to their repertoire.
Definite improvement on last year.

Some of their end-to-end plays (resulting in goals or not) were elite, with players willing to run to space often to receive.
Entertaining, powerful footy.

Kelly!! :oops::D Made me go WOW! a few times. Kelly has turned her Gaelic skills set into AFL footy magic.

Looks to me like the Crows have added more-than-a-pinch of AFLWMelbourne's running game to their repertoire.
Definite improvement on last year.

Some of their end-to-end plays (resulting in goals or not) were elite, with players willing to run to space often to receive.
Entertaining, powerful footy.

Kelly!! :oops::D Made me go WOW! a few times. Kelly has turned her Gaelic skills set into AFL footy magic.
Last season doc Clarke had the philosophy that we didn’t need to change anything. And then we saw teams go ahead of us in terms of skills and game plan. This year he clearly realised we can’t stay stagnant and has adapted accordingly.

Last season doc Clarke had the philosophy that we didn’t need to change anything. And then we saw teams go ahead of us in terms of skills and game plan. This year he clearly realised we can’t stay stagnant and has adapted accordingly.
Is that based on insider info, Jen? If not, very insightful.

Melbourne's spare-player, run-on and handball game last year made them clearly the best side in the Comp.

Looks to me that the Crows/Clark have taken on elements of that this year, with improved fitness and a tougher edge. The Crows' overlap-and-run style is creating that loose player which makes for uncontested ball movement.
Add to that the ball-magnet power and delivery of Marinoff, Jones and Kelly, plus the strength of Gould and Hatchard forward and there's no weakness on any line.

Next 2 games vs. Brisbane then NM are critical to finishing top-2 and will shape the Final 4.
A loss to either team might see the Crows in 3rd spot.

Coaches votes:

8 Niamh Kelly (ADEL)
7 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
5 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
4 Eloise Jones (ADEL)
4 Caitlin Gould (ADEL)
1 Zoe Prowse (ADEL)
1 Stevie-Lee Thompson (ADEL)

Interesting breakdown this week. I'm pretty sure this has to mean that one coach gave Hatchard the five votes, while the other didn't even list her at all. Meanwhile the other coach must have given either Jones or Gould four votes and the other didn't list them at all.

5 Kelly
4 Jones/Gould
3 Marinoff
2 Gould/Jones
1 Prowse/Thompson

5 Hatchard
4 Marinoff
3 Kelly
2 Gould/Jones
1 Thompson/Prowse

Edit: Actually, there is one other alternative which is perhaps more likely:

5 Kelly
4 Jones/Gould
3 Hatchard
2 Marinoff
1 Thompson/Prowse

5 Marinoff
4 Gould/Jones
3 Kelly
2 Hatchard
1 Prowse/Thompson

Looking at the incident how is that a 3 game ban? Are they for real? In a 10 game season they think that is worth 3 games!
Is there any clear footage of it?

Found it hard to see on the match replay, and that was watching it at half speed to pick it up. In this frame Kelly has the ball, Allen is shepherding McLeod but it's very blurry. 3 matches would be equivalent to 7 in the men's game.

NAllan.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back