Review AFLW Round 9 - Adelaide v North Melbourne. Sunday 29 October @ Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Very poor is putting it mildly.

First, there was the guernsey itself, which is, frankly half-arsed and clearly phoned in (in contrast, look how amazing Port’s Pride guernsey is).

This was followed by a heap on homophobic slurs on the the Facebook post Crowmania put up to sell the guernsey, that Crowmania refused to do anything about. Rainbow Crows got one of their contacts in the club to get Crowmania’s parent company to close comments on that post, but they still refused to take down any homophobic posts (which, when last I checked, are still on the post).

Then there was the decision to not have a home Pride game for the flimsiest of reasons - noting several clubs held home Pride games this week (and full credit to the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn for doing this).

I also note that we have never had a home Pride game during Pride Round itself, and it’s clear this is not a priority for the club.

That is very disappointing, especially when you consider the significant contribution that LGBTQ players have made to our club. Hopefully the club gets their act together on this issue soon.

The club refused to have a home Pride match this season (their excuse was it clashed with Toyota Good for Footy Round).
TBH - I can see why they didn't run with it.

The club was annoyed at indigenous rd being changed to 2 rds didnt it as it took away from us hosting every year by request?

So it'd be hypocritical to then be happy to stretch pride rd over 2 rds.

Also, the club has always gone pretty heavy on members rd for the last home game of the year.

The AFL shouldn't have had it so late tbh. Just clashes with clubs' plans.

I'd bet if the AFL had it in Rd 9 we'd have done something.

Also kinda stupid to do Indigenous Rd in rds 7-8 into pride rd in rd 10.

Should've done one around Rd 3/4 the other around 7/8. I'd bet the crows would've done something if they were spread out and not clashing with other commitments.

Very poor is putting it mildly.

First, there was the guernsey itself, which is, frankly half-arsed and clearly phoned in (in contrast, look how amazing Port’s Pride guernsey is).

This was followed by a heap on homophobic slurs on the the Facebook post Crowmania put up to sell the guernsey, that Crowmania refused to do anything about. Rainbow Crows got one of their contacts in the club to get Crowmania’s parent company to close comments on that post, but they still refused to take down any homophobic posts (which, when last I checked, are still on the post).

Then there was the decision to not have a home Pride game for the flimsiest of reasons - noting several clubs held home Pride games this week (and full credit to the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn for doing this).

I also note that we have never had a home Pride game during Pride Round itself, and it’s clear this is not a priority for the club.
That’s almost coming across as a in the ‘too hard basket’/don’t make it a priority type decision, you’d almost unfortunately hope that it’s that as (and I don’t want to wrongly accuse anyone at the club) it unfortunately leaves them open even wrongly to the perception some more ‘conservative’ views are held by those at club.

Is also a bit confusing as to why they just didn’t wear the guernsey even if it’s a half arsed one, given they did put it up for sale you’d think they would’ve like they have out of pride round in other seasons, they didn’t need to have anything else attached to it if they didn’t have the ‘resources’ or want.

Given the amount of s**t the West Coast Eagles copped a couple of years ago for what they did/didn’t do It’s quite ironic that club now hosts a Pride Round game against the Crows (can argue they are certainly another who really phoned in the guernsey too… but given their history that’s good enough to keep people off their back).

Given the amount of s**t the West Coast Eagles copped a couple of years ago for what they did/didn’t do It’s quite ironic that club now hosts a Pride Round game against the Crows (can argue they are certainly another who really phoned in the guernsey too… but given their history that’s good enough to keep people off their back).

It’s definitely the battle of the ‘phoned in’ pride guernseys between us and West Coast.

It’s definitely the battle of the ‘phoned in’ pride guernseys between us and West Coast.
Crows might not even wear there’s given it would be the most horrible clash ever, actually I really hope they don’t as the guernsey clash will be horrific.

It’s so boring, compared to other teams’ offerings:

Also bland and almost ugly compared to the lovely indigenous guernsey:
Yeh, I can see how very little thought went into this, in comparison to the other club's guernseys. I love Carlton and Hawthorn's this year. Hawthorn in particular is amazing! Port Adelaide even started their design last year. I mean, that's impressive.

Anyway, it's disappointing to hear the lack of effort considering the amount of LGBTQ players we have on the team.

Was a weird game with us having poor defensive structures, which turned to an almighty thriller in the last few minutes!

At one stage, I saw 4 or 5 North players right in the middle within the forward 50, with no Crows players in between! That s**t should never happen again!

Gould with the goal of the week contender, she’s seriously impressing me as a forward. I don’t think we’d be a serious contender without the impact of Gould this season.

Kelly is legit putting in a yellow jacket season! She has been dead set amazing and have loved watching her play!

Shame Brisbane chose this week to put in a weak effort against Stkilda and not last week.

Brisbane seem to be our bogey team more so than Melbourne or North
Kelly actually reminds me of another Kelly. Kellie Gibson, that is, who left to join Fremantle some years ago. Both have supreme speed, but thankfully this current Kelly has the added finishing touches.

With the coaches votes for the last two rounds now released, figured I'd look at what we got here.

10 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
7 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
7 Ashleigh Riddell (NMFC)
3 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
3 Niamh Kelly (ADEL)

So the coaches agreed on which players were the best five, and just quibbled over placement. Unique breakdown other than the placing of Hatchard and Kelly.

5 Garner
4 Marinoff
3 Riddell
2 Hatchard/Kelly
1 Kelly/Hatchard

5 Garner
4 Riddell
3 Marinoff
2 Kelly/Hatchard
1 Hatchard/Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back