List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

My point was, what if instead of standing the mark, you stand the minimum distance you can behind the mark, which still allows you to move laterally (as you are not on the mark). What is this minimum distance? These are some of the questions and flaws in their stupid rule.

Let's face it though, we all know how this will work. In the early rounds there will be a game where they are too hot on the whistle. They will be awarding 50m penalties for guys standing still on the mark but looking sideways too quickly. Or they won't call play on quick enough and players will get frustrated.

Commentators/media will lose their sh*t and AFL will brief the umpires and clubs on new interpretations, which pretty much render the rule redundant. Same thing happened with the crack down on holding the ball in 2020.

Agree the HTB rule big flip last season was dead set embarrassing. Just showed how inept the AFL are with their knee jerk reactions. I actually support a harder HTB interpretation but the AFL blinked in the media glare and folded.

The difference with last years HTB debacle and this new standing the mark rule change is this new one isn't as complicated. It can be made pretty clear cut and should be easy to umpire.

Will mistakes be made? Yes, players and umpires are human.

Will the media complain and beat up a story? Yep, that is what they do.

Will it help open the game up for faster football? Yes it will.

Keep it simple. That is all that is needed with ANY rule changes.

Oh- a clearly defined mark? And what is it clearly defined with? Does the ump mark it with chalk or does he put his whistle on the mark? No, he points to a spot and in his mind he draws an imaginary 'mark"- it is THE SAME THING. The player has to ensure he does not go over that, if he isnt on the mark initially, the umpire tells him to take 1 or 2 steps back until he says you are on it now. If he steps FORWARD over that it is 50m . Now why does side stepping behind the mark make it difficult for the umpire? So long as he doesn't step FORWARD of the mark- IE closer to towards the opposition goals, he is behind the mark. It is all very simple.

I don't understand how you cant get that? Its just baffling.

So your way of KISS is not to over complicate the rules by bringing in more rules to alleviate a rule that has no issues? Right.
Can you point me in the direction of the last time there was outrage over an umpire calling a 50m penalty for someone overstepping the mark when they didnt actually over step the mark? You seem to be of the opinion that this is an impossible rule to interpret for the umpires that they have been getting constantly wrong and has been a major blight on the game for years with offer officiating and too many 50m penalties unjustly dished out. It has never been an issue, but I guarantee this will now become an issue.

LOL. Setting a single mark is too complicated is it?

But allowing a mark 3 - 4 meters wide along an imaginary line is easier? Really?

Mate the current rule is allowing players to wander 3 or 4 meters off the set mark sideways. Then the umpires need to determine if a player has moved forward off the imaginary line 3-4 meters away from the mark. That is not simple at all.

So removing a rule that is difficult and challenging to umpire and replacing it with a dead set simple alternative is.........MAKING THE RULE SIMPLE. Easier to umpire.

Ever seen an umpire set the mark and the player scratching the turf with their studs to show where it is? Happens all the time.

Pretty simple stuff really isn't it?

If I was coaching I'd be instructing my players to do that every time so there is no doubts on where it is.

Do you see players or umpires setting this 'imaginary 3-4 meter line' of yours? No they don't.

So removing a rule that is difficult and challenging to umpire

It is not difficult or challenging.

You are twisting yourself in all sorts of knots right now and looking very silly doing so.

I will bookmark this and come back to it a couple of rounds into the 2021 season to say I told you so. In the meantime, Ill leave you to your thoughts..

Do we really think that a player not being able to step a metre side to side on the mark is going to change the fabric of the game so much we need 5 pages of discussion shitfighting in the list management thread?

With how long it takes umpires to call play on in general play it effectively makes the man on the mark a dead man allowing any player to play on at a 45 degree angle. If teams play it well it effectively adds about 10 metres to each forward possession. This is a huge difference.

With how long it takes umpires to call play on in general play it effectively makes the man on the mark a dead man allowing any player to play on at a 45 degree angle. If teams play it well it effectively adds about 10 metres to each forward possession. This is a huge difference.
I think this is probably the intention...quicker and longer play, no need to kick backwards or sideways

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The heartening thing about the lizard thread is that there's only 2/3 whackjobs.

A club the size of West Coast you'd think there'd be more.

Would be interesting to see on a per capita basis, which club "boasts" the highest number of MAGA RWNJs.

Would have to be a club that promotes its working class background given the demographics of Trump's base...

It is not difficult or challenging.

You are twisting yourself in all sorts of knots right now and looking very silly doing so.

I will bookmark this and come back to it a couple of rounds into the 2021 season to say I told you so. In the meantime, Ill leave you to your thoughts..

I'm not twisting anything at all.

Simply pointing out plain logic which doesn't suit your argument.

The logic is simple. It is easier to police a player standing on a single mark than it is to police a player moving 3 - 4 meters back and forth along an imaginary line and encroaching.

A single mark is set. Move off it forwards or sideways is not permitted. Pretty simple really.

As opposed to an umpire having to focus on a player moving back and forth and having to use his imaginary set square to guess if he's moved 1 degree off the imaginary line.

Complicated rules lead to mistakes being made. They become more open to interpretation and decisions we don't understand.

Simple rules make umpiring, playing and spectating easier. Because the rule is simple to understand and follow.

You can disagree with the rule all you like. Call it soft etc. End of the day though simple rules are better because less errors are made playing by them and policing them.

Debate about the man on the mark relates to contracts or trades how?
I know its the off season but who gives a f about the man on the mark?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Obviously very important.

If you don't have good spacial awareness or sense of direction getting this rule wrong could end your career before it begins. ;) :drunk:

Last edited:
Agree the HTB rule big flip last season was dead set embarrassing. Just showed how inept the AFL are with their knee jerk reactions. I actually support a harder HTB interpretation but the AFL blinked in the media glare and folded.

The difference with last years HTB debacle and this new standing the mark rule change is this new one isn't as complicated. It can be made pretty clear cut and should be easy to umpire.

Will mistakes be made? Yes, players and umpires are human.

Will the media complain and beat up a story? Yep, that is what they do.

Will it help open the game up for faster football? Yes it will.

Keep it simple. That is all that is needed with ANY rule changes.
I am OK with a harder HTB but I think there needs to be a harder Holding The Man as there is preemptive tackling happening meaning the player is tackled prior to taking possession.

If you and your opponent expect you to get the ball and the player is tackled is straight forward. How would it work if the player chose not to take the ball and is tackled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back