Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not. But just in case it's not ...

When we recruit mature agers from the VFL we are aiming to find those rare genuine success stories like Liam Picken (198 games), Matty Boyd (292 games) or Dale Morris (253 games). All three played in the 2016 flag.

I have no problem with us giving Gowers, Hayes, Cavarra, Scott etc a chance but we should be churning through those types as quickly as we can assess their ceiling is not quite up to AFL standard.

Whether they exceeded the game averages or "expectations" is immaterial. You expect the majority of those types won't make it.

You measure your success on the players who play 100 games or more, or else make a big impact in some other way, such as James Podsiadly, a mature-ager who only played 80 odd games for Geelong but kicked 52 goals as a member of their premiership side in 2011.
Marginal gains matter at all levels, I'm not sure I'd be measuring in solely on a lengthy career or not. Just as we'd all like an upgrade on Roarke Smith or Will Hayes for marginal gains on the team, in turn, I'm not sure I'd like what our options would have been in the absence of either, but they're worse, otherwise they would have been picked in the first place. There's value in finding yourself good enough to get picked, provided there's more than about 25 fit blokes on an AFL list.

Not sure it really involves our list management but apparently Essendon have signed Dunkley Jr to their VFL team. Must have got sick of the abuse

I understand the “only pick on merit” philosophy but .... can’t help thinking we might have missed a trick in not signing him to Footscray. Just a little extra incentive for Josh to stay.

I understand the “only pick on merit” philosophy but .... can’t help thinking we might have missed a trick in not signing him to Footscray. Just a little extra incentive for Josh to stay.
He's not good enough for us, only Essendon ;)

No thanks. Sets a really bad precedent. Reeks of desperation. Happy for Josh to leave at the end of the season if we get adequate compensation.

Fair enough. I just thought it was an inexpensive option to keep Josh happy but I get your point.
If the bloke wants to leave let him leave. Just make sure it's for the right price

It's more positional. Dunkley is certainly a better player but losing a tall defender would be a big problem for our backline for not much in exchange, while losing Dunkley would mean both currency in exchange, and no obvious glaring hole in the side.

Bevo would probably still play Young in the forward line in that hypothetical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marginal gains matter at all levels, I'm not sure I'd be measuring in solely on a lengthy career or not. Just as we'd all like an upgrade on Roarke Smith or Will Hayes for marginal gains on the team, in turn, I'm not sure I'd like what our options would have been in the absence of either, but they're worse, otherwise they would have been picked in the first place. There's value in finding yourself good enough to get picked, provided there's more than about 25 fit blokes on an AFL list.

Fans don't realise it's not soccer. There's a salary cap & you can't transfer players in. It's a squad game these days. Geelong have been great at attracting players, I'm a bit dubious about their salary cap & wouldn't be surprised if a BAD smell emanates from Kardinia park, and it's not the oil refineries.

St Kilda have taken the easy route. Hawthorn tried but have failed. There's merit in bringing through a cohesive group ahead of recruiting 'stars'.

Fans don't realise it's not soccer. There's a salary cap & you can't transfer players in. It's a squad game these days. Geelong have been great at attracting players, I'm a bit dubious about their salary cap & wouldn't be surprised if a BAD smell emanates from Kardinia park, and it's not the oil refineries.

St Kilda have taken the easy route. Hawthorn tried but have failed. There's merit in bringing through a cohesive group ahead of recruiting 'stars'.

Slight correction. Hawthorn tried, succeeded quite well, then tried again and so far have failed in trading in ready made stars / role players.

Successful clubs find the right balance......with a pinch of good fortune.

Fischer Mcasey
Jake Kolodjashnij
Noah Balta
All 3 are out of contract at the end of this year hope the club have at least asked the question

Fischer Mcasey
Jake Kolodjashnij
Noah Balta
All 3 are out of contract at the end of this year hope the club have at least asked the question

Ben Miller at Richmond is another. A def / ruck, played seniors as u18 rucking in the Kalgoorlie mine fields league, tough comp. Will be a DFA as he was let go and rookied. Rated at Tiger land but stuck behind some pretty decent players.

Would love to get him cheap at the Eagles.

If it was forced I could see Brander looking elsewhere (Dogs would be a good fit) and the Eagles getting Miller as a replacement. Eagles have a glut of good tall forwards.

Ben Miller at Richmond is another. A def / ruck, played seniors as u18 rucking in the Kalgoorlie mine fields league, tough comp. Will be a DFA as he was let go and rookied. Rated at Tiger land but stuck behind some pretty decent players.

Would love to get him cheap at the Eagles.

If it was forced I could see Brander looking elsewhere (Dogs would be a good fit) and the Eagles getting Miller as a replacement. Eagles have a glut of good tall forwards.
I forgot all about Brander he wouldn’t cost much in a trade

What position does Brander end up playing? He’s been underwhelming but feel he needs a set position now.
Worrell another option.

He wouldnt be underwhelming if he got a run in a position he is suited to.

Something we all agree on the Eagles board, but other players are embedded (Darling and Kennedy forward McGovern and Barrass back) or more versatile (Oscar Allen, Waterman and Williams).

Brander is listed as a midfielder atm on the AFL site.:oops:

Still he's highly rated and the Eagles wont be losing him for steak knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back