Has an AFL decision/policy ever cost your club a potential flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon and Carlton won premierships not following AFL salary cap rules, so they can’t complain.

Plugger being sent to Sydney on AFL orders after being locked in by Richmond might have cost us a better shot at a flag in ‘95. Would have loved to have seen Plugger at FF with Richo roaming higher up the ground.

No more than the redneck VFL. Neon Leon was a pioneer as was say Chance Bateman.

One player you can think of in 25 years at the pies. Thsnks for justifying my point. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Lockett agrees to come to Richmond at the end of 1994. The AFL intervenes and sends him to Sydney. We made a prelim in 1995. Would of been amazing to see what would of happened there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie being president at Collingwood the last 25 years probably cost alot of indigenous footballers a career.
a bit rich considering having Hardwick as your coach definitely cost a young woman her job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were referring to Eddie? See my reference to the VFL more generally.

So you just wanted another whinge by adding something into your comment which had no relevance to my statement. Ok.

a bit rich considering having Hardwick as your coach definitely cost a young woman her job

Lol, the 35 year old woman has lost her job has she? Care to provide a link to validate the claim?

While I dont want to continue the VicBias/MCG complaining - having to play a home prelim at the MCG did kinda screw us in 2004
But you won the bloody PF!

You lost the 04 GF because the lions' time was up

Not sure it was a policy but it wouldn't surprise me but the umpiring in the 2016 Grand Final likely cost the Swans a flag. Would not surprise me if the AFL wanted the Bulldogs to win though due to the "fairytale"

trade ban hurt us more.

win the flag in 2012, get tippett, make prelim in 13, get buddy - trade ban.

richmond - get prestia in 16, win the flag in 17, make prelim in 18, get lynch - good recruiting.

at least we robbed players off teams in finals and winning flags - richmond took players off a club on its knees

im not salty at richmond, anyone would have taken those players, just dont like how clubs are treated differently

Didn't cost a flag but the introduction of the 2nd centre circle certainly curtailed Jeff White's influence and probably led to his career finishing a couple of years early.

West Coast and Collingwood drawing in the 1990 qualifying final possibly cost us the flag.

The AFL aligning with WADA probably cost the Bombers 5 flags in a row.
The AFL were worried about Essendon creating a monopoly over AFL merchandise sales, and the end result is that Richmond are well in front there in 2021.

If it wasn't for the joint effort of the AFL and WADA, the EFC would be world leaders in supplying legal performance enhancing supplements, bitcoin, and math to the masses, courtesy of Bomber Thompson.

How about this for a sliding doors.....

The AFL allowed Melbourne to sell a home game to Brisbane, so the Lions got to play them in Brisbane instead of Melbourne. Clearly they were a much better team at the Gabba, so they won easily. Had they have played that game at the MCG and had Brisbane lost....

The Lions would have finished 5th, and had to win 4 straight games to win the flag from there. Collingwood says thanks.
Freo, playing in it's first ever finals series, would have finished 4th and instead of playing the very experienced Essendon team first up in an elimination final, would have got Port Adelaide in a qualifying final at a time when all the pressure would have been on Port (Port ended up losing their first home final to Sydney in a huge upset).

Obviously Freo were no shot at a flag as such that year, but gee a big difference between an elimination final against Essendon and a qualifying final against Port. And arguably because the AFL allowed Melbourne to sell a home game to the Lions.

How about this for a sliding doors.....

The AFL allowed Melbourne to sell a home game to Brisbane, so the Lions got to play them in Brisbane instead of Melbourne. Clearly they were a much better team at the Gabba, so they won easily. Had they have played that game at the MCG and had Brisbane lost....

The Lions would have finished 5th, and had to win 4 straight games to win the flag from there. Collingwood says thanks.
Freo, playing in it's first ever finals series, would have finished 4th and instead of playing the very experienced Essendon team first up in an elimination final, would have got Port Adelaide in a qualifying final at a time when all the pressure would have been on Port (Port ended up losing their first home final to Sydney in a huge upset).

Obviously Freo were no shot at a flag as such that year, but gee a big difference between an elimination final against Essendon and a qualifying final against Port. And arguably because the AFL allowed Melbourne to sell a home game to the Lions.
Another 'what if' from that season: Had we beaten you in that last round derby (two goal margin iirc and we led most of the game) we'd have finished 4th. We were Port's bunnies at the time (and for several years after), Port would have rolled us easily and likely won the flag that year hosting a PF and then playing Collingwood in the GF. Instead they got a plucky Swans side who rolled them first week.

The ‘Non Mark’ of Leigh Colbert & AFL decision to play the Crows at Footy Park cost us a legitimate chance at the 1997 flag....Finish second ( and above the aforementioned team ) yet you play them at home just because you lost your first final, the rules back then were a joke.....We had beaten the Saints that year too from memory so it was a chance for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back