How much longer will Dustin Martin being Overrated remain an open secret? 🤔

Do you feel Dustin Martin is overrated?

• Yes, Dustin Martin is overrated by Richmond fans.

• Yes, Dustin Martin is overrated by Neutrals.

• Yes, Dustin Martin is overrated by Commentators.

• No, Dustin Martin isn't overrated by anyone.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see how anyone who has won 3 Norm Smith Medals be ever classed as overrated (even though I think Houli should have won it in 17)

Don't like the bloke or his annoying edgy neck tatts, but you cannot denying his greatness.

His now arguably the GOAT of a century plus old proud and historic football club in Richmond, which is a very impressive feat really.

If you had the 2009 draft all over again, I'd pick Gary Rohan number one... just for the lols on the Bay.

His now arguably the GOAT of a century
Back up a second mate.... are you seriously suggesting Dusty has had more impact on the game than Buddy or Scablett in their prime? Really?? :confusedv1:

Like I said Dusty's ROI is phenomonal, (no wonder he rarely gets injured when he chugs around at 3/4 pace most of the season) I reckon Warren Buffett should be giving him a call asking for pointers on maximizing output for minimal investment. Dusty plays a handful of good games in finals and gets talked up as the GOAT when his regular season output is barely elite most years. Take away the tatts & the fend-offs and he'd barely rate about Shane Edwards.

I was thinking about the way Richmond fans talk up Dusty being the best player in the comp - except its pretty clear he isn't. Sure he had an out-of-the-box year in 2017, but even Adam Cooney, Allen Jackovich & Shane Woewodin have managed that. Take 2017 out of the equation (guessing it was a contract year?) and his resume is pretty thin. Made the AA team a total four times, but two of those (2018 & 2020) were gifted on reputation.

He was little more than an average player in the early stages of his career, taking 6-7 years to reach elite status, whereas a twat like Danger was pretty much a star from the get-go. Tellingly, Dusty's stats are fairly ordinary - he's never averaged 30 touches over a season, and has never kicked more than 40 goals. Despite lacking the tank to play as a pure midfielder and never having the responsibility of being the #1 target inside 50, he seems to get full credit for both?? :confusedv1:

Then there's the predictable "but he's a great finals player!" argument. Yeah, and so was Gary Ayres who the player-of-the-finals award is named after yet nobody talked about Ayresy as the best player in the comp. He was simply an excellent footballer who went to another level in September, but a long way behind others in overall value to the team. You could even say the same about Luke Hodge (no way I'd pick him ahead of Sam Mitchell) but at least Hodgey was a remarkable captain, whereas Dusty's childlike persona would see him struggling to lead an under 9's team.

Sorry Richmond fans, I'm sick of watching Dusty only pull his finger out in finals, then get credit for being the best player in the comp all year round - he isn't.
I'll just do a quick summary for those who find the OP a little long to bother reading:

1614460553809.png

I'll just do a quick summary for those who find the OP a little long to bother reading:

View attachment 1066767

I stopped reading the OP after "thinking" and pictured him doing this

424327ab3de0d8d4e0e19d6547b5feb1.gif

View attachment 1066767
Playing the man as usual, because that worked so well for Essenscum* fans potshotting Caro back in 2012 right? :$

Dusty is hideously overrated on the back of a handful of games and you're not even bothering to deny it - because its undeniable.

I was thinking about the way Richmond fans talk up Dusty being the best player in the comp - except its pretty clear he isn't. Sure he had an out-of-the-box year in 2017, but even Adam Cooney, Allen Jackovich & Shane Woewodin have managed that. Take 2017 out of the equation (guessing it was a contract year?) and his resume is pretty thin. Made the AA team a total four times, but two of those (2018 & 2020) were gifted on reputation.

He was little more than an average player in the early stages of his career, taking 6-7 years to reach elite status, whereas a twat like Danger was pretty much a star from the get-go. Tellingly, Dusty's stats are fairly ordinary - he's never averaged 30 touches over a season, and has never kicked more than 40 goals. Despite lacking the tank to play as a pure midfielder and never having the responsibility of being the #1 target inside 50, he seems to get full credit for both?? :confusedv1:

Then there's the predictable "but he's a great finals player!" argument. Yeah, and so was Gary Ayres who the player-of-the-finals award is named after yet nobody talked about Ayresy as the best player in the comp. He was simply an excellent footballer who went to another level in September, but a long way behind others in overall value to the team. You could even say the same about Luke Hodge (no way I'd pick him ahead of Sam Mitchell) but at least Hodgey was a remarkable captain, whereas Dusty's childlike persona would see him struggling to lead an under 9's team.

Sorry Richmond fans, I'm sick of watching Dusty only pull his finger out in finals, then get credit for being the best player in the comp all year round - he isn't.
Everyone's welcome to their own opinion, right or wrong.

Leigh Matthews says Dustin Martin is the only player who rightfully compares to him

Footy icon Leigh Matthews says only one player can be compared to him without it being an insult and that's Richmond Grand Final hero Dustin Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe is better overhead and Max is... taller.
Both have had far more consistent careers than Dusty, who can only be stuffed pulling his finger out in September. (ironically Nat hates grand finals)

Richmondd shrink: "Dusty .... He’s taught me as much as I’ve taught him in relation to the mind, and how to use it to perform better. I’ve learnt more from Dusty than anyone else, really."

philosopher & GOAT

Back